Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy living in Maine?
Yes 22 68.75%
No 4 12.50%
Other (Please explain) 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:02 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I found nice land that I could afford.

I am living on my pension, building a house and raising chickens, goats and pigs.

We love MOFGA.

We have gotten right into the local farmer's market with our eggs and fiddleheads.
The Common Ground Fair is awesome!!!! This summer will be out 15th year being food vendors and also proud members of MOGFA. Every year the new location in Unity gets better and better.

Farm fresh eggs for breakfast...yum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 06:27 PM

8 posts, read 23,661 times
bee.... sounds pretty awesome! where are you in maine?!?

Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 771008 View Post
... The people in (in general of course) are incredibly set in their ways
I have not tried to force folks to change, so I have not seen this attitude that you speak of.

I am from California too, though I left in the 70's.

What social groups do you belong to?

Have you joined the Elks?

I have gotten right into the American Legion, and VFW [in fact I am the chaplain for the Old Town VFW post] and I tend bar for them part-time. I have attended the Masonic lodge and church.

These are the friendliest folks.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:40 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith07 View Post
bee.... sounds pretty awesome! where are you in maine?!?
Argyle.

Just a tad North of Bangor.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:08 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,608 times
Yup. Can't imagine living anywhere else. I would not mind after I finish college to travel a bit and get to know the country more but I plan on coming back here to settle.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:58 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
Maine has a lot of problems -- business climate, shifting job base, low pay scales -- but IMO its advantages outweigh the drawbacks. The stuff that's wrong with Maine can be fixed if the people here decide to act.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:27 PM

581 posts, read 713,377 times
Lightbulb Map link to Maine Bad Places

It sounds to me like we need to start doing some analysis of these negative experiences that a few people are having. I have prepared a map called "Maine Bad Places" so that we can start to get a grip on the spatial distribution of the complaints, and then see if we can figure out how to solve the problems.

The map can be found at:
Google Maps

If the above link does not take you there, please cut and paste the URL into your browser and using the tools there you can edit the map with your general location and comments.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:22 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
It sounds to me like we need to start doing some analysis of these negative experiences that a few people are having. I have prepared a map called "Maine Bad Places" so that we can start to get a grip on the spatial distribution of the complaints, and then see if we can figure out how to solve the problems.

The map can be found at:
Google Maps

If the above link does not take you there, please cut and paste the URL into your browser and using the tools there you can edit the map with your general location and comments.

I couldn't find 'Salem's Lot on the map. Definitely a place to avoid.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:10 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Its clearly subjective. For me I am more liberatarian than anything. I just feel that half of Maines citizens are depentant on government welfare and the other half work for gov so nothing is going to change.
Oddly enough, I was afraid to use the "L" word...haha Libertarians coming out of the closet everywhere.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:11 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
It is so subjective. Come for the beauty and leave because of lack of employment. it is true that our state govt. has not a clue on fiscal responsibility so I just pay my taxes and keep my chin up. The trade off? Swimming every night at a different swimming hole. walking out the back door to hunt. skating on the pond 500 yards from my place. Canoing in the Androscoggin right across the road. Not locking car nor front doors. Seeing a moose and a bear in the same week out the back window. Having 2 nesting eagles within a mile on the river. Never having to wonder if this truly is the place I want to die!~~~~priceless~~~~`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine