U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 PM

9 posts, read 10,894 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone.

My wife and I plan to move to Maine within the next couple of years. I've never been there, she has multiple times. She loves it and I'm sure I will too. I currently live in Northeastern PA and from what I can gather most of your state is like this area with more trees, about the same amount of mountains, less people, less coal and colder winters

She would like to move to Bay Harbor, however I work for the state here in PA and would probably do the same up there once what I do opens up there (I'm a Disability Claims Adjudicator and as it's regulated by the Feds but run by the states, it's the same job in all 50 of them). So, I'd have to be within reasonable distance to Augusta. Anyone have a good plan on a compromise? I'm not looking to live urban, although I'd like to not have to drive more than a half hour to get to major amenities, either. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:42 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,427,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czarcasm View Post
Hey, everyone.

My wife and I plan to move to Maine within the next couple of years. I've never been there, she has multiple times. She loves it and I'm sure I will too. I currently live in Northeastern PA and from what I can gather most of your state is like this area with more trees, about the same amount of mountains, less people, less coal and colder winters

She would like to move to Bay Harbor, however I work for the state here in PA and would probably do the same up there once what I do opens up there (I'm a Disability Claims Adjudicator and as it's regulated by the Feds but run by the states, it's the same job in all 50 of them). So, I'd have to be within reasonable distance to Augusta. Anyone have a good plan on a compromise? I'm not looking to live urban, although I'd like to not have to drive more than a half hour to get to major amenities, either. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
There is no town in Maine named Bay Harbor that I am aware of.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 PM

4,958 posts, read 10,568,243 times
I'm sure he meant Bar Harbor. Good luck with your plans, czarcasm! We're new to Maine, and I'm not that familiar with the area you're interested in. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,111,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
There is no town in Maine named Bay Harbor that I am aware of.
What about Bah Hahba?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:04 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,427,384 times
I'm sure he meant Bar Harbor. Good luck with your plans, czarcasm! We're new to Maine, and I'm not that familiar with the area you're interested in. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Why couldn't it have been Boothbay Harbor.....??? Don't assume folks.... Boothbay is a heck of alot closer to Augusta than Bar Harbor....

Old 04-25-2010, 09:06 PM

9 posts, read 10,894 times
Yeah, Bar Harbor. Guess it just shows off my Maine noob-ness, haha. All input is appreciated. We'd just like to be a reasonable distance from both Acadia and Augusta. My google map ninja skills lead me to believe somewhere between Augusta and Bangor is what I'm looking for.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 AM

3,157 posts, read 5,673,560 times
Quote:
Yeah, Bar Harbor. Guess it just shows off my Maine noob-ness, haha. All input is appreciated. We'd just like to be a reasonable distance from both Acadia and Augusta. My google map ninja skills lead me to believe somewhere between Augusta and Bangor is what I'm looking for.
Belfast.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:36 AM

30,640 posts, read 49,300,145 times
Welcome.

'within the next couple of years' I suggest that you begin making trips to Maine; summer, fall, winter, spring.

You likely get 30 days of vacation each year, you could take a week off every quarter, come and visit one region of Maine each time.

In such a manner, see which region of Maine suits you best.

You might find that you like Bar Harbor, or perhaps an entirely different area.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:51 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,770,580 times
Please email me by clicking on my name at the upper left. This will bring up a direct message to me menu and you can send a direct message. I would give you my email but forum rules prevent anyone from "outing" themselves or others.

I am currently living in SouthEastern PA, and in fall of 2007 made the decision to move to Bar Harbor. I can help you with almost anything you need to know. We bought a house in Bar Harbor in 2008, and after the renters move out, we plan to retire there in the summer or fall of 2011, if we can get all our ducks in a row.

Kind regards,

Z

Old 04-26-2010, 06:56 AM

925 posts, read 1,919,916 times
Quote:
Hey, everyone.

She would like to move to Bay Harbor, however I work for the state here in PA and would probably do the same up there once what I do opens up there (I'm a Disability Claims Adjudicator and as it's regulated by the Feds but run by the states, it's the same job in all 50 of them).
As a Disability Claims Adjudicator, don't rule out the Corporate world. UNUM has a substantial presence in Portland and I know several folks who work there handling Disability Claims. They handle claims for other states as well as Maine from the Portland office. Sounds like what you do is the same, except state is paying the bill rather than private insurance. There are many hundreds of employees at UNUM in Portland, and I think the Disability Claims division is substantial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or