U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 AM

3,483 posts, read 3,192,096 times
Yep. My brother just competely nixed his plans to replace his mobile home with a modular (3/4 of the way through) when he last met (for at least the 3rd time) the code enforcement officer.

The problem? His plans were two feet too close to the road. Apparently, the new law prohibits it because it's "in keeping with the rural character of the town." I forget just exactly how far they have to go.

His contractor just called him to ask him if he'd be willing to go with him to the town to discuss it because he has a half dozen other clients who are affected as well. They could conceivably move it a bit, but they still couldn't build a garage. They have 11 acres, but the back end is straight up a large hill. Their "back yard" is around 6 feet wide and then goes straight up.

He asked the code enforcement officer if it would "affect the rural character" of the town were he to have the hill blasted in order to move it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 06:49 PM

8,748 posts, read 10,934,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
They might get caught when they sell. I check with the town office to see if a seller has the proper permits and and make the offer contingent upon those being filed. Often the fee is doubled when they are filed at that time.
Half the nitwits at the town offices around here don't even know the original configuration of the home to begin with or the place has changed enough so they won't argue the new configuration. We follow the laws but try to figure out what was on this lot over the last 200 years....good luck!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:54 AM

411 posts, read 600,443 times
They (the nitwits) are watching you from above also. (so be careful Forest....somehow I can picture a couple of stills in his woods jk... Anyway around here they are. A few years ago one of my neighbors decided on growing some ginseng for a hobby so he built some shades out of wood. From the air it looked like a buildings roof. He was paid a visit. I've heard of cases where new decks were detected this way. Here we have/had a town official drive around in her car and noting new structures, garages, lawn barns, etc. (sometimes trees obstruct these things) and then checking if permits were gotten. We voted her out but there's plenty more like her.
When I visited town office for my garage permit, the guy hit a few buttons on his computer and he had a closeup aerial view on his screen of my property, including a few old treasures I had hidden in the woods. I would think these aerial views they have are dated so they have a time line. I think most of the time you won't be "found out" or bothered on some of these things unless you "stir the pot" on some issue.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:49 AM

3,483 posts, read 3,192,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
They (the nitwits) are watching you from above also. (so be careful Forest....somehow I can picture a couple of stills in his woods jk... Anyway around here they are. A few years ago one of my neighbors decided on growing some ginseng for a hobby so he built some shades out of wood. From the air it looked like a buildings roof. He was paid a visit. I've heard of cases where new decks were detected this way. Here we have/had a town official drive around in her car and noting new structures, garages, lawn barns, etc. (sometimes trees obstruct these things) and then checking if permits were gotten. We voted her out but there's plenty more like her.
When I visited town office for my garage permit, the guy hit a few buttons on his computer and he had a closeup aerial view on his screen of my property, including a few old treasures I had hidden in the woods. I would think these aerial views they have are dated so they have a time line. I think most of the time you won't be "found out" or bothered on some of these things unless you "stir the pot" on some issue.
Google Earth is exactly what the code enforcement guy did with my brother. That's how they found out (again, NOT the FIRST time they met, but after the contractor was hired, banking paperwork filled out, floor plan designed, etc.). How's that for efficiency?

Nonetheless, he's about to join with the contractor and neighbors (who also knew absolutely nothing about this) at the next selectman meeting where I'm sure they'll hear an earful.

He apparently can apply for a variance, but now that the deadline for the tax credit is up, it's a moot point for savings anyway. They weren't about to sign a binding contract without getting this little gem of a mess cleaned up. They have plenty of room to build a garage (which incidentally would be blocked from the road because of the trees beside it) if they didn't have to set it back 100 feet now.

Isn't technology grand when it's used in such a manner? Remind me not to pick my nose while in the garden this summer - lest I end up on the world wide web.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:38 PM

21,320 posts, read 26,148,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
They (the nitwits) are watching you from above also.
I do understand this.

Quote:
... (so be careful Forest .... somehow I can picture a couple of stills in his woods jk ... Anyway around here they are.
I can neither confirm nor deny the presence or non-presence of any of the activities of which you are referring to.

Everyone now has a good view of all of our properties, it would be wise for each of us to be mindful.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:11 PM

14,238 posts, read 12,588,749 times
A sod roof (or something else that'll have a camo effect) and some spreading trees around the house do wonders to fool the eyes in the sky.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:38 PM

5,990 posts, read 7,385,037 times
It isn't just the color image they see. They see heat signatures and can tell what fuel you are using by the elements in the stack gas coming out your chimney.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 PM

14,238 posts, read 12,588,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
It isn't just the color image they see. They see heat signatures and can tell what fuel you are using by the elements in the stack gas coming out your chimney.
So now they're flying over doing that too?

If they only use the aerial images, it's easy to hide a structure.

This thread is starting to remind me of 1984...

Old 05-01-2010, 05:21 AM

2,381 posts, read 2,748,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
So now they're flying over doing that too?

If they only use the aerial images, it's easy to hide a structure.

This thread is starting to remind me of 1984...
Of the smaller towns that look at aerial photos, most use google earth. It's free. Not many are going to buy the time for infrared photography. The best time fto take aerial photos is in the morning or afternoon in the early spring or late fall, when there are no leaves on the trees.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:39 AM

701 posts, read 598,411 times
According to my DH, who is in the business, residential sprinkler systems will required in the future for all new construction. It's just a matter of time. The figures he gave me are around $3000.00 to $5000.00 thousand for a system done at the time of building. Retro fits may vary. It's not likely that existing home will be required to have systems unless they do a major renovation. But maybe there will be insurance perks?........

I have mixed feeling about this, I know that water can cause a lot of damage while putting out a fire! My DH reminds me that fire protection's primary purpose is to save lives not property. I wonder how home insurance companies view this?

I understand that this may not concern towns with 2,000 or less in population, but if enough people decide to move to small communities to avoid this new code, then those communities may end up with more than 2,000 in short order!

Here's a link to a home that has a system installed (retro fit, I believe)
Installing Residential Fire Sprinklers - Travis Mack - Case Study | Residential Fire Sprinklers .com

There is also some other info on residential fire protection.

just my $0.02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine