U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 07:00 PM

44 posts, read 127,747 times

Advertisements

Hey all
We are seriously thinking of relocating to Maine. Husband would work in Saco. Can anyone give us any advice about where to rent? We like older neighborhoods,no cookie cutter stuff. Have a 14 year old, who is in virtual school now-but no virtual school in Maine,that I see. Any homeschoolers out there, and if so what do you do for a diploma?? What do you give a college or tech school when they request transcripts?
Sorry two seperate questions here! Rent pricing would be welcomed and any school/homeschool info.
Also,hubby would be willing to drive 30-40 minutes to work. Thanks for any "words of wisdom"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:17 PM

30,630 posts, read 49,275,273 times
Welcome wackattack69

Homeschooling is very popular in Maine.

We homeschooled.

For a diploma you print one out and sign it. Worked fine. Same as anywhere. Our experience has been that Homeschooled are preferred ahead of public-funded Highschool grads.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 PM

44 posts, read 127,747 times
Thank you,forest beekeeper! I can't believe it-you just print it out?? From where? I knew there had to be SOMETHING you could give to colleges. Any other help/info is welcomed. Thanks again!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 PM

30,630 posts, read 49,275,273 times
I DM'ed you.

We began homeschooling in 1991. At that time we did not know anyone else who was doing it.

Two of my grandparents were school teachers in grammar schools in the US before mandatory public-funded 'institutions were built. Both of my parents had used 'reader's [a text book which taught you a grade-level]. I was the first generation in my family to have been institutionalized. We were fortunate that my relatives were supportive of our decision to homeschool our children.

We used one of the Mennonite curriculums, 'Christian Light'. It has been in continuous use for nearly a century [with periodic updates].

We bought each grade-level as a boxed set from the publisher.

We used each grade-level for each of our children, and afterwards we sold each of the boxed-sets on Ebay at 50% of what we had paid for them.

We have been very happy with the results.

May Divine Providence guide you.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:25 AM

6,048 posts, read 11,403,840 times
Maine Education.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,387,710 times
Default Homeschooling

Welcome

Here's a couple of links with various suggestions. Also, there are groups of families in Maine who band together and hire teachers for their children in co-ops.

Good luck.

Homeschooling In Maine

http://raisingmaine.mainetoday.com/b....html?id=14721

Last edited by cebdark; 05-05-2010 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: found another link

Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 AM

7,918 posts, read 15,977,245 times
I can't help with the homeschooling bit (it seems like you've been sufficiently attended to in that regard), but I have a few suggestions for neighborhoods.

First, if you don't want cookie cutter, Saco is probably a perfect fit. The center of Saco is a historic village with a Main St. lined with eclectic shops and restaurants. The housing stock in that area is generally much older (pre 1900 in many, if not most, cases). The residents of this area have taken pride in their historic structures. It's a great place to look and it's right near work. Craigslist would have some rental prices for you. I'd look to pay somewhere around $700-1500 for an attached 3 bedroom (depending on the condition it's in) and probably around $1500-2000 for a single family rental. A quick search pulled up these- THIS (http://maine.craigslist.org/apa/1725556950.html - broken link) is in Saco for $650 and THIS (http://maine.craigslist.org/apa/1725500887.html - broken link) single family (close to Saco) is in Scarborough for $1600. They're out there and prices are reasonable if you know where to look.

Scarborough is right next door. Avoid the stretch of Scarborough closest to Portland/South Portland along Route 1 if you want to avoid "cookie cutter." That stretch is mostly box stores and typical cul-de-sac subdevelopments. If you can afford waterfront property, the coast in Scarborough is beautiful. Also, Rural Scarborough (Western part of town, along Spurwink Road closest to Cape Elizabeth and the section near the Saco border) has some older farm style homes.

If it's in the budget, the Center of Kennebunk may provide some good living options for you. The center of town along Main St. is historic and attractive. Far from "cookie cutter."

Still, I think you could do VERY will right in Saco. Good luck.

Last edited by lrfox; 05-05-2010 at 08:55 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 10:20 AM

701 posts, read 945,861 times
Try Mainehomeschooling@yahoogroups.com

it's a statewide yahoogroup (you have to join) but there is a lot of very helpful information on Maine homeschooling regulations. Also, just search the web. There are many sites that are very helpful for making transcripts if you want to do it yourself.

You may also choose to have your child take the SAT. Many homeschoolers do this and you'll find information from other homeschoolers in the area on when and where to take the test.

Homeschoolers are widely accepted by colleges, etc.....you'll just need to know ahead of time what their requirements are. How many years of foreign language, math requirements and such. Also, I've heard that to earn a diploma in Maine, you have to have a year of Maine Studies. I'm not in Maine yet so I'm not 100% sure what this entails, but any homeschooling group can help you.

Also, in Maine, homeschoolers have access to the public school system, for classes and extra-curricular activities. How easily that works may vary, depending on the school. It doesn't work like that in NC, so that's something I'm interested in.....

Good luck!!!

Oh, and BTW, we stayed in Saco for several days while exploring Southern Maine and just loved it!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 PM

375 posts, read 801,432 times
If you want info about virtual schools that offer a diploma, feel free to DM me. I teach online for several high schools.

I homeschool myself, as well, if you need info on that.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:00 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,769,085 times
try Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine