Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,609,802 times

Advertisements

There is a theory now that some of the oil spilled into the Gulf of Mexico may find it's way into the Gulf Stream current and move northward along that current up the Eastern Seaboard, possibly as far as Maine and Maritime Canada.
The theory shows the oil would potentially be contained within the gulf stream by the surrounding cold water and could channel the spill many thousands of miles from the Gulf of Mexico. I don't think anyone is overly concerned about the potential now, though it DOES exist and the longer that well is dumping oil into the Gulf the higher the potential that at least some of it will find it's way up the Eastern Seaboard. Stock up on DAWN dishwashing liquid!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:37 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,963,973 times
This is an interesting topic - I don't really think it will get as far as Maine but it could and it would be horrible for all the fishermen, lobstermen, etc. Also, vacationers wouldn't come and the waterfowl and wildlife would suffer greatly. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't get into the Atlantic.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM

503 posts, read 1,022,114 times
Well I don't think it cold make here. It would have to pretty much cover most of the gulf and then somehow get around the Florida peninsula before it catches a ride up the gulf stream. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is unlikely.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,610,145 times
If it gets into the Gulf stream it will be in Scotland before it gets to Maine. Here's why: The Labrador Current protects Maine from the Gulf Stream. The government has closed commercial fishing on the Gulf for 10 days. I have search and rescue maps showing wind roses and seasonal current patterns.

A 10 day cessation of commercial fishing is not going to have any effect. This blowout could go for ten years. Yes; years.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:26 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,528,097 times
This is an environmental disaster of proportions we haven't seen yet. They need to pay attention to getting it "shut off" as quickly as possible.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,609,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
This is an environmental disaster of proportions we haven't seen yet. They need to pay attention to getting it "shut off" as quickly as possible.
The logistics are staggering. This thing is down over a mile below the surface. Can you imagine trying to lower some kind of caisson over the hole from a ship a mile above with any kind of accuracy while oil is gushing out of it? Good luck! Goodbye offshore drilling and hello $5.00++ a gallon gasoline and heating oil. This will not only ruin the fisheries, beaches and boating along thousands of miles of shore ,the economic impact of shutting down all of the wells without the safety devices in place will cripple the economy for the forseeable future.
No one is going to visit Maine if it costs them a grand to put gas in their car for a week.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 AM

701 posts, read 1,079,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The logistics are staggering. This thing is down over a mile below the surface. Can you imagine trying to lower some kind of caisson over the hole from a ship a mile above with any kind of accuracy while oil is gushing out of it? Good luck! Goodbye offshore drilling and hello $5.00++ a gallon gasoline and heating oil. This will not only ruin the fisheries, beaches and boating along thousands of miles of shore ,the economic impact of shutting down all of the wells without the safety devices in place will cripple the economy for the forseeable future.
No one is going to visit Maine if it costs them a grand to put gas in their car for a week.

Oh Crud!!!!!

Yes, and it will make it very costly for us when we make our trip back up there..........we will stay fewer days, the hotels and restaurants will get less of our $.....

Old 05-07-2010, 05:59 PM

7,487 posts, read 10,453,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Yes, the effects of the oil spill will definitely reach Maine - and every other state in the union! Maineah is right - if we stop offshore drilling just because of this, we will be paying a lot more at the pump, not to mention when heating time rolls around!

As for the oil actually reaching Maine, that's about impossible, as NMLM pointed out. But something much more dangerous has already reached Maine. It's pre-judgment by those dedicated to the environment (which is fine), to the extent that NO oil drilling, anywhere, is going to ever be OK any more. Hysteria rides the waves and travels much more freely than any oil spill ever has!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,148,984 times
Maybe it's just me, but something tells me that true maintenance on cutoff valves was not a top priority - too costly.

I hope it doesn't reach Maine.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:47 PM

722 posts, read 1,507,473 times
Any oil that made it to Maine would be emulsifed by the time it reached that far. Once oil hits salt water it starts breaking down and rough seas and sun all expedite the process, then as an emulsion is not recoverable by standard means, but less harmful as well. The good news is the oil is floating, believe it or not some forms of crude are heavier than water and will sit or sink to the bottom of the ocean and depending on the depth never get recovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: