U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 AM

21,327 posts, read 26,195,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
AustinB cautions:
"Come on Forest, You can just say that with out putting on the disclaimer.... because my land is in tree growth. It's not fair to those 'from away' who don't know the whole story."

Yeah, and he was paying about $.37 in excise tax on the ancient Saab. It is possible to live below the radar in Maine. In fact it's possible to disappear. I just sold a truck to somebody. It will not be registered. It will be driven daily to work. No, it won't be driven on public roads. It will be driven on old logging roads. It was driven home though. ;-)
My Willy and Goldwing each cost $5.

I do not recall how much the ancient saab was but it was more, I think it was in the neighborhood of $15. It has since died.

Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Status: "HSUS only cares about your money not animals" (set 1 day ago)

3,489 posts, read 3,197,567 times
Maine Revenue Services: Property Tax -

Old 05-28-2010, 09:14 AM

102 posts, read 90,100 times
Quote:
Those are the most severe xenophobes
Can someone in all due respect tell me what this is? I have seen this many times and get the general idea of it? I probably could google it, but would like to hear about it from you all.

Quote:
Yeah, and he was paying about $.37 in excise tax on the ancient Saab.
Excise tax is paying to register a car each year? I don't think we have that in NJ. We have to pay for registration every four years. I think it's $68 now? We pay to have our license renewed and I think it's pretty close to that - every four years. We CAN, however, get our cars inspected for free. Can you do that up there?

What is car insurance like? We own a 15-passenger van (six children, five of which still in car seats) and a four wheel drive vehicle. I believe we pay about 2k a year in insurance for full coverage.

Quote:
But wait the 'whole story' is even better, Maine has many 'Current Use' status' which work to keep taxes low. Mainer's enjoy 'farm land' tax status which keeps farm land taxes low, and 'Open Space' status, and 'Working Waterfront' status.
FB - We have a horse and plan on raising chickens (have them now on our farm) so if we have a small farm, would our taxes be lower than say living in a typical suburb type neighborhood or do we actually have to grow for profit something on the land for a tax break? PS - I am deathly afraid of bees. Bee season here in NJ and I stay inside

Quote:
Moved my new wife back here (or did she move me?) from Atlanta, Ga. Good Lord, talk about rat race; and me a Yankee to boot. I have lived quite a few places; Shreveport, La., Portsmouth, near London UK, Cherry Hill NJ/Philly, etc. I kept being drawn back to “home”. And I kept fighting it.

I don’t know how city folks can stand it.
That's where we are - Cherry Hill/Philly area. And no, I, personally canNOT stand it. We sat on the front step yesterday waiting for my husband to get home listening to the cars whiz by out front. I said to my oldest daughter, "I hate hearing the cars speed by." She said, "Well it's either that or listen to the low flying airplanes like before." (Where we used to live outside Philly). Sad huh? I have lived in NJ, OH, DE, NY and NC; all city type areas.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 AM

2,883 posts, read 2,932,849 times
Xenophobe - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Main Entry: xe·no·phobe

Pronunciation: \ˈze-nə-ˌfōb, ˈzē-\
Function: noun
Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary
Date: 1922
: one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin

Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,070,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellym_40 View Post
What is car insurance like? We own a 15-passenger van (six children, five of which still in car seats) and a four wheel drive vehicle. I believe we pay about 2k a year in insurance for full coverage.

FB - We have a horse and plan on raising chickens (have them now on our farm) so if we have a small farm, would our taxes be lower than say living in a typical suburb type neighborhood or do we actually have to grow for profit something on the land for a tax break? PS - I am deathly afraid of bees. Bee season here in NJ and I stay inside

That's where we are - Cherry Hill/Philly area. And no, I, personally canNOT stand it. We sat on the front step yesterday waiting for my husband to get home listening to the cars whiz by out front. I said to my oldest daughter, "I hate hearing the cars speed by." She said, "Well it's either that or listen to the low flying airplanes like before." (Where we used to live outside Philly). Sad huh? I have lived in NJ, OH, DE, NY and NC; all city type areas.

We don't have much xenophobia here.........probably less than in the big "melting pot" areas, which actually don't seem to melt together too well at all, at times (I can't ever recall any race riots taking place in Maine, at least in my lifetime!.....)
What we DO have is a bit of skepticism about those from away. Some of them leave not long after arriving; we've all seen that. And so that leads to a bit of wariness towards new arrivals. Plus, we want to make sure you're not a big jerk. In some places, that doesn't really matter much, because there are already a lot of big jerks. Here in Maine, it does matter. And we don't like people marching in from somewhere else trying to "change how we are". But once you've established that you're "alright" (and it doesn't take much), then you'll be welcomed like gangbusters.

I think car insurance is cheaper here than just about anywhere.

I know what you mean about noise, etc. I have lived in a few other places outside of Maine. Too much noise and commotion. When I'm running around in the morning doing a few errands, I like it to be EASY and SIMPLE. Where I live now, it's no problem at all.
And it's QUIET. The only constant noises I hear after dinner are the birds and the rushing of the stream down at the bottom of the hill, a block or so away. Very nice.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
What we DO have is a bit of skepticism about those from away. Some of them leave not long after arriving; we've all seen that. And so that leads to a bit of wariness towards new arrivals.
OKay, not being flip at ALL - why does it matter if folks move in and then move away? Where I live in NJ people move in and out ALL the time. Shrug. We don't care. To each his own. It doesn't affect me at all. Whatever they want to do is up to them. Whatever makes them happy is really what matters. This part of Mainers is very curious to me....
Quote:

Plus, we want to make sure you're not a big jerk. In some places, that doesn't really matter much, because there are already a lot of big jerks. Here in Maine, it does matter.
I think if a person is a big jerk it matters a LOT no matter where you live and I have lived in plenty of places. A jerk is a jerk is a jerk. Why does it matter MORE in Maine. Again with all due respect...not being flip - why does it matter more there? There are a lot of jerks HERE too just watch the REAL HOUSEWIVES of NJ and a bit of Donald Trump shows to see, sigh.
Quote:

And we don't like people marching in from somewhere else trying to "change how we are".
In what way do people from away try to change Mainers? By the way, is "Mainers" a correct term for folks born and raised in Maine?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:16 AM

6,178 posts, read 4,714,100 times
Quote:
OKay, not being flip at ALL - why does it matter if folks move in and then move away? Where I live in NJ people move in and out ALL the time. Shrug. We don't care. To each his own. It doesn't affect me at all. Whatever they want to do is up to them. Whatever makes them happy is really what matters. This part of Mainers is very curious to me....

I think if a person is a big jerk it matters a LOT no matter where you live and I have lived in plenty of places. A jerk is a jerk is a jerk. Why does it matter MORE in Maine. Again with all due respect...not being flip - why does it matter more there? There are a lot of jerks HERE too just watch the REAL HOUSEWIVES of NJ and a bit of Donald Trump shows to see, sigh.

In what way do people from away try to change Mainers? By the way, is "Mainers" a correct term for folks born and raised in Maine?
Most Mainers have been there for generations. In many Maine communities, there are not many people moving in or out, so the community stays they way they are used to it. They care when people move in or out. They don't mind if you mention NJ once in a while as long as you don't tell them how much better something was in NJ, or try to change something to the way it is in NJ.

A jerk matters more in Maine because it is a state of small communities, and a jerk stands out a lot more with so many nice people around. In my experience, there are not a lot of jerks in Maine when compared to other places I know.

You have to know them REAL well to be able to call them "Maine-iacs!"

Old 05-28-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:

You've asked too many questions.........sorry, but you're now on our "bad" list.
JUST KIDDING!
Okay, let me have a go: the whole idea of people coming together for the community's sake is very important here; the roots of that were in its NECESSITY, back in the tough, old days when mere survival took a lot of work. If I invest a lot of time and work in helping a newcomer, who turns around and leaves a month later..........maybe my family or neighbor slips into destitution. That kind of idea. I am going to have to be fairly sure that you like it here and want to stay before I treat you as "one of us". It just makes sense. (You also have to remember that, more recently, MANY back-to-the-landers flooded into Maine in the 60s and 70s. Most left after one or two winters. I guess we would think of those types as "fly by night" people.) But if someone puts down a few roots, we'll welcome them right in, and help them. Once you are "one of us", you are TRULY one of us, and that will afford you many, many, many privileges, and things that you can expect.

As to people being jerks, we just don't care for that here. We tend to look down on places like Mass. or NJ or New York, because they don't know how to get along that great (generally). We do things MUCH more casually and informally here, it's just the way it has always been. Let me give you an example: a guy I worked with here had moved to Maine from Seattle. He had his big power boat repaired, and it took longer than the guy said it would. But the repair man did say that he was working on it. My co-worker wanted to know what was up??? How could the guy stay in business this way? I told him that the guy probably had a really good reason for taking a bit longer. If he wanted to march in and make a scene, he could do that, but as a newcomer, he would quickly develop a bad reputation. OR he could trust that the guy had a good reason (maybe trying to squeeze in doing some work on a working boat....ie fishing boat......or maybe the guy just really wants to do a great job.........or whatever). And then once he gets his boat back, he can thank the guy and tell him what a good job he did, which will make my coworker develop a GOOD reputation (and then the guy will probably stop by his house in a month or two to make sure that he's still satisfied with the job, and will charge him reduced rates in the future...). OR if the guy did a bad job, then the way to handle it is to "take your lumps" and tell people that the guy does bad work (in a small area like Maine, services can't afford to get a bad reputation). In other words, stop thinking about yourself so much and help other people to not make the same mistake (and the favor will be returned once you are connected into the community).
It's a whole different way of life than that "you better treat me right and with respect or I'll SUE you!" thing that the rest of the world operates on. If someone tries to IMPORT that way of life here............uh uh. They will not last. I just ran into one of those cases recently, in a professional situation I was party to. Sad to see the outcome. But the newcomer brought it on herself. Tried to import NJ ways into Maine. It ended badly.

(By the way, if someone tried that "real housewives of New Jersey" stuff here, I suppose they'd just get laughed at. We are SO not that.)_

Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
We tend to look down on places like Mass. or NJ or New York, because they don't know how to get along that great (generally).
Oh. Well this sentence explaines quite a bit. I beg to differ. I've been here most of my life and besides the fast pace, traffic, heat and taxes, the people are some of the best. We have our jerks like you have your jerks. Maybe you met bad eggs. What a shame you lump us all in the same pile.
Quote:

It's a whole different way of life than that "you better treat me right and with respect or I'll SUE you!" thing that the rest of the world operates on.
Not everybody operates on this notion. Some, yes. The "rest" of the world is pretty general.

Thank you to those who have shared their positive experiences with me, I am appreciative...as appreciative as a NJ person can.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:47 AM

Now, Kelly...........you've started out GREAT on here! Don't go and spoil it lol.........just kidding.

I DID say "generally".......I made sure to say that. I KNOW there are great people wherever you go (including my brother-in-law, Jerzy.........who got that name because of where he's from.........now living in Maine). I don't necessarily blame people down there for (GENERALLY!) being crankier and uglier...........if I had to live with all that noise, traffic, crime, heat, etc well, I know it would make ME cranky and mean too! It's just kind of more "dog eat dog" down there, I think.
And I know that when I said "the rest of the world" I was being pretty general. Honestly, I did. Can you accept that I was? (I'm sincerely asking.........although it is a little bit of a "trick question"!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine