U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,925 times
Default Moving to Maryland from Georgia

My husband might be getting a job in Frederick, MD. We would like to live in a nice affordable area with great schools (we have three kids). My husband is willing to commute 30 min. to an hour to his job in Frederick everyday. What cities should we consider living in and which ones should we stay away from? Should we consider West Virginia? I have heard that living in Frederick is expensive. Your help with this is very appreciated!!

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:38 AM

6,476 posts, read 5,600,166 times
I live in Baltimore but am familiar with the area because my fiance grew up there. It is generally regarded that Middletown schools are the best in Frederick County. I have no stats, just word of mouth. The quality of her education sure seemed to be exceeding mine, that's for sure.

It's all a pretty area and within 30 minutes you will definitely find something that fits your needs. Shepardstown WV is a great little college town (quirky, lefty?) that you might enjoy. Harpers Ferry is also not a bad place to commute to Frederick from. I've always liked Brunswick MD.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:09 AM

260 posts, read 597,523 times
I wouldn't expect WVa schools to be exceptionally good. I haven't heard anything specific about Middletown schools, but I love the area. In Frederick County, you could also consider New Market. I've heard good things about the Linganore schools there. And since you're willing to commute, there are schools with excellent reputations within a 30-minute commute in both Montgomery and Howard counties. You might want to check out the Damascus and Mt Airy areas. Just keep in mind that Mt Airy is located on the border of 3 different counties, so the school system will depend on which county you are in. I can't imagine any way a 60-minute commute will be necessary. There will be a lot of good areas to choose from with an easy commute. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:08 AM

112 posts, read 131,582 times
Hello from Frederick! I've lived here for 16 years and love it - I hope you do, too.

Homes within Frederick city limits can be a bit more expensive due to the additional city taxes, but you can find affordable homes in most of the county. (Affordable is a relative term, though... what's your price range?)

But yeah, Middletown and Urbana high schools seem to score highest in the "best schools" rankings, although all of the county public high schools recently made something like the "Top 1500" high schools in the country.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,056 times
I live in the Lake Linganore area (Boyers Mill Road) of New Market which is only a few miles east of Frederick. This area is mostly families and there are lots of kids of all ages. It's a very nice place to live. The schools here are great....Linganore High, Oakdale High, Oakdale Middle, New Market Middle, Deer Crossing Elem and New Market Elementary.

As for other areas around the city of Frederick............these are my opinions...................I will break it down by county.

Frederick County: I think the entire county is great except I would not want to live in Frederick or Walkersville. If you like open farmland, the area north of Frederick up to the PA line is nice. However, the area west of Rt. 15 begins to run up to the mountains. It's a wonderful area, if you like mountains. These are not huge mountains....so it's quite easy to travel them.

Carroll County: This entire county is nice also. Can't think of any areas to stay away from. Lots of small historic towns and a few large towns also......I still consider Westminster a town, although it has grown to a nice size.

Washington County: If you plan on working in Frederick, don't live anywhere in Washington County. Its a fine area, but there is basically only one way to get from Hagerstown to Frederick....Route 70. The weekly accident backs up traffic and clogs the one alternate route.

Montgomery County: Avoid this county!! There's not much elbow room left. Lots of bad areas, insane traffic problems and property values are extremely high.

Overall, the Frederick area is nice. Lots of historical sites, Civil War history, mountains to the west, farms to the north................less than an hour drive to Washington DC, Baltimore MD and Gettysburg PA. You would be about 3 hours from Atlantic City and about the same distance from the beaches of Delaware and Maryland......all of which I think are good.

Oh, and I wouldn't live in West Virginia......it's a dump in my opinion.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:11 PM

872 posts, read 935,937 times
Default Yes it is expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy.proffitt View Post
My husband might be getting a job in Frederick, MD. We would like to live in a nice affordable area with great schools (we have three kids). My husband is willing to commute 30 min. to an hour to his job in Frederick everyday. What cities should we consider living in and which ones should we stay away from? Should we consider West Virginia? I have heard that living in Frederick is expensive. Your help with this is very appreciated!!

Thank You
I'm not certain where you are coming from in Georgia but you are correct in your assessment that Frederick is quite expensive. I think many longtime residents of Frederick use neighboring Montgomery County as a level of comparison in which, yes, Frederick County is cheaper. But coming from Georgia where $300,000 will afford you a mini-mansion in the Atlanta suburbs, that same amount maybe could get you a single-family home in a decent area of Frederick County but nothing spectacular. If you are able to find a SFH for less than $300,000 in Frederick it is likely to be in one of the few unsavory areas of the county with not the greatest of schools. Also be prepared to pay at least $2000 a month for anything decent in Frederick.

All in all the schools of Frederick County perform quite well especially in comparison to WV schools. West Virginia (Jefferson County) is suburban Washington DC and does not have the amenities of a Frederick but is a significantly cheaper alternative to Frederick. Certainly Washington County only has I-70 and U.S. 40 as direct routes to Frederick but I'm not sure if longtime residents truly grasp how unrealistic it is to expect new arrivals to be able to afford places such as Middletown, Urbana, and New Market. Mind you, I have no idea what your income level is but if you have already gotten wind of the notion that Frederick is expensive then you have likely crunched some numbers already and discovered that Maryland is much more costly in terms of housing than Georgia. Hagerstown will be the only city comparable to Frederick in terms of amenities but at a much lower cost. West Virginia and Pennsylvania (also 1/2 hour commutes to Frederick) will have even lower housing costs than Hagerstown (Washington County) but they will have less amenities and inferior schools to Washington County-in that school district EVERY school made AYP and the superintendent was the National Superintendent of the Year last year. This might be more of a priority for you having three kids rather than living in some of the more "trendy" overpriced areas of Frederick.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM

8 posts, read 21,390 times
Welcome to Maryland! I second the poster who earlier said that whether Frederick is expensive will obviously depend on compared to what. I can't imagine it would be much more expensive than metropolitan Atlanta, but probably more so than other areas of the state. As a rule of thumb, if you go from Frederick toward Washington or Baltimore, real estate becomes more expensive, but it brings you into two of the most well-regarded school systems in the country in Montgomery County and Howard County. Going in those directions also brings you to a more suburban feel, whether that is good or bad to you. Heading west towards Hagerstown or West Virginia, or heading north into Pennsylvania, it becomes more rural, and with lower housing prices. I don't know too much about the quality or reputation of those school systems.

I'm in the process of researching a move from Germantown, MD (20 minutes south of Frederick towards Washington, DC) to an area further away from the hustle and bustle. The three things that I would pass along are: 1) it seems really hard to find data to make objective comparisons about schools or school systems; 2) from my web searching it appears that housing prices definitely get cheaper as one heads noth and west; and 3) I absolutely cringe at some of what I have been reading on this and other threads. People who come on here and post things like "West Virginia is a dump" or "This entire county is nice also", or a ridiculous post I just read on another thread that said it's next to impossible to find an 1800 sq ft house anywhere in Maryland for less than $800K - $1M. I hope that you find some of the opinions posted here to be helpful, but good heavens it seems that a HUGE grain of salt is needed. I hope you'll be reluctant to accept any opinions that I or anyone else you don't know gives you, and try to find as much factual info as you can.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,406 times
Rob has given you good advice. Take it all with a grain of salt. Frederick will welcome you. Best advice is get a good Realtor to help you sort thru all of the complexities as they apply to your situation.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
and 3) I absolutely cringe at some of what I have been reading on this and other threads. People who come on here and post things like "West Virginia is a dump" or "This entire county is nice also",
I made those comments. They are not statements of fact. They are only my opinion. I clearly noted that in my post.....twice.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:01 PM

37 posts, read 50,651 times
Brunswick is a very nice town with low crime and good schools. My wife and I liked it so much that we decided to move there from DC.

Point of Rocks is also worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland