Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 19,730 times

Advertisements

I'm moving my family to St. Michaels on the Eastern Shore for a job in Easton. Had this vision that it was a quiet safe by the Bay community, and when I looked at the crime stats I nearly fell out of my chair. Violent crime seems pretty low, but the property crime is through the roof. Anyone that live there able to fill me in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:54 PM

26 posts, read 95,897 times
Foycur, I'm surprised as well. It's certainly considered one of the most (if not THE most) affluent towns on the eastern shore. And a very nice place to visit as well--we head down there often for brunch and a walk around the main drag.

The only thing I can think of is property theft of people who are second home owners and only there part time, which is a large portion?

Get a home near VP Cheney and you should have nothing to worry about!

Maybe someone who has a home there can give the real scoop?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
Every tourist town has these problems actually. It's more of a problem with the statistics than the towns themselves.

Crime rates are given per RESIDENT. Given that these towns have many NON-RESIDENT visitors (and property owners), the rate per PERSON or PROPERTY OWNER is actually much less than the rate per RESIDENT shown on sites like City-Data.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:55 PM

5 posts, read 19,730 times
That makes sense, pcity. The rates I see are reported "per 100K people". I presume that's residents like you said.

I was just kind of alarmed to see in the 2002-2003 timeframe the crime rate there really jumped, and has stayed high relative to the pre 2002-2003 time period. Is that when St. Michaels went boom with tourism, did a biker gang move in, etc?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:05 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Large areas of the Coastal Plains from NJ down to GA are desperately poor. That includes parts of MD. Now if you wanted to steal something, for whatever reason, why would you steal from your neighbor when all he has is chickens and a 13" black and white TV with rabbit ears? You wouldn't do that. You'd go to where you can steal something worth stealing.

I live in a city with that problem. Our city is a major medical hub with tons of doctors and others highly paid medical types. We have a world class cardiac center. We have a large university.

But every person that needs a job, regardless of qualifications, heads here. Due to a lack of previously mentioned qualifications they end up being a drag on the city. They end up commiting a huge majority of the crimes. We also get thugs driving here from great distances, sometimes over 100 miles away, just to rob our gas stations. What's up with that? You can't do that in your own dirt bag town?

And try as hard as they can, there is little the police can do. You can't barricade the entrance to the city.

Last edited by Richard Martin; 07-15-2010 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-15-2010, 09:11 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
There is a huge diversity in economic levels in St.Michaels, basically, the "haves" and the "have nots" and a few of the "I don't have anything but I live like I do".....
I think that the crimes are basically petty crimes, things being stolen from unlocked vehicles,etc... same thing you pretty much find anywhere but the area is small so the % seems alarming.

St.Michael's is a beautiful area and the people, for the most part, are wonderful! Just too many people trying to keep up with everyone else...

Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 PM

26 posts, read 86,252 times
I have family in SM and have not noticed any increase in crime. However, there are a lot of part-time residents there and I can see where there'd be opportunity for crime.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 AM
iwp

8 posts, read 15,322 times
You've got to be kidding. Any crime is either drunks or petty theft. Very safe town.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:34 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,550 times
There is not a place in America that doesn't suffer from property crimes. My parents live in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Arnold, and there is more property crimes that you'd think, some of it junkies, some of it high school kids acting like punks.

Get an alarm system, and get a baseball bat and you shouldn't have much to worry about. Great town, plus not too far from bmore, the beach and dc if you need to spice things up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland