U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Does this seem fair and reasonable to you?
Yes 4 36.36%
NO 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:05 PM

351 posts, read 530,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
When did Section 8 renters from DC and Baltimore start fleeing west? I never heard about this before this year, and I've read it posted on this board a whole bunch lately. Just curious.
I don't know for sure, but I'd say over the last ten/fifteen years or so they have been trickling west, and in the last two or three years it has exploded. Some of the people I work with have nothing but some clothing, a cell phone, and a few pieces of furniture. I feel bad for them. It has to be a real culture shock to go from PG county/DC to rural MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 AM

6,476 posts, read 5,847,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
I don't know for sure, but I'd say over the last ten/fifteen years or so they have been trickling west, and in the last two or three years it has exploded. Some of the people I work with have nothing but some clothing, a cell phone, and a few pieces of furniture. I feel bad for them. It has to be a real culture shock to go from PG county/DC to rural MD.
Interesting. So do you think folks are moving to where the wait list for housing is shorter? I guess if you have no prospects or desire for social advancement it really doesn't matter where you live.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:29 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,324,768 times
The oversatuation of new and renovated luxury housing options certainly created a lot of opportunities for section 8ers, renters and buyers. Not sure the govt can create a guideline that certain features are too nice for section 8 renters.

The more homes that reach foreclosure, the harder and harder it gets for all classes of people to get loans, and income coming from whatever direction prevents that.

I'm not a fan of Section 8 as a whole because I think there is way more abuse of the system than comeback stories, but we all have the ability to go to the southwest and Florida and buy a really nice house for practically nothing right now.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:54 PM

69 posts, read 54,689 times
Yall need to stop being so judgmental and worry about your ownselves. You dont know me you dont know my situation. MInd your business.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 PM

3,037 posts, read 4,215,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandre View Post
Yall need to stop being so judgmental and worry about your ownselves. You dont know me you dont know my situation. MInd your business.
Don't move with Section 8 money to my town, and you won't be part of my business.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 PM

351 posts, read 530,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Interesting. So do you think folks are moving to where the wait list for housing is shorter? I guess if you have no prospects or desire for social advancement it really doesn't matter where you live.
I think the problem out here, and I am purely speculating, is that the builders went crazy during the hay day boom and built a ton of units. Many were bought by people trying to flip them or rent them out...and these owners are more often than not from outside the area with no interest in health of the community. Many also went unsold. Once they stopped selling, or stopped renting, they took on section 8 as a steady source of rent. I'm telling you, brand new neighborhoods where people spent a lot of money on houses during the boom have become section 8 housing and they are now a mess. This is happening all over the country as well....I know a lot of places in the south that overbuilt are seeing it too. What sucks is the "thug life" mentality that has been brought here with this population. I have friends in Southern MD that say they are having the same issues.

Again, I understand the concept now of section 8, and am all for help those who try to make themselves better. There are a lot of hard luck cases out there and I'm glad those good neighbors have found housing. Unfortunately, those good neighbors seem to be fewer and far between anymore.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 AM

6,890 posts, read 6,707,234 times
I wish the article in the WSJ had something about whether the tenants kept up the houses. I will not vote in the poll where I have no personal knowledge.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 PM

10 posts, read 7,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
I work with the public, and while I don't know the ins and outs of section 8, I see what it does to neighborhoods with no HOA and it isn't pretty. I have no problem helping those who are trying their best and truly need it. But section 8 renters (and their landlords) should be held to some kind of standard to protect the property values in the rest of the neighborhood. Not every renter is bad, I know, but driving through neighborhoods of nice brick townhomes to see furniture rotting away in the back yard, grass that isn't mowed, cigarette butts all over the place.....is frustrating to those who have an incentive to take care of their property. What's equally frustrating is the number of section 8 renters from the city (Balto/DC area) who end up in places like Frederick and Washington Counties and tax the resources of those communities who are already struggling to meet the needs of "their own".

Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 AM

302 posts, read 284,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I'm not a fan of Section 8 as a whole because I think there is way more abuse of the system than comeback stories
and this is the biggest misconception of section 8.. the amount of poeple the program helps vastly outwieghs the poeple who abuse the system..its not even close!

section 8 vouchers are given out with a max value set determined by income and amount of dependents. The lady in the article can move into a 5 bedroom "mini-mansion" because she has 7 kids. a mother of two would not be approved for that.

i dont understand the animosity against the section 8 recipients being allowed to choose homes with new and luxury features. as long as it falls under the regulated rent parameters why care if that person has crown molding and granite countertops (landlords expense, not your tax dollars)..would it make u feel better about your life if u knew all section 8 renters had faulty pipes and no HVAC.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 AM

537 posts, read 594,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
section 8 vouchers are given out with a max value set determined by income and amount of dependents. The lady in the article can move into a 5 bedroom "mini-mansion" because she has 7 kids. a mother of two would not be approved for that.
But see, that's the problem. Most of us "choose" (yes we actually still have a choice in this country - but let's not get into that) to have 7 kids or 2 kids. My company doesn't pay me more money because I "choose" to have 7 kids (no one has to have kids - 1, 2 or 7 - we have adoption in this country for those who can't manage their bodies and wish to preserve life). It's insane. Why should anyone get more money because of their own personal "Choice". Yes we all make mistakes. But after 2+ mistakes, think of someone other than yourself and GET FIXED (I did!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
i dont understand the animosity against the section 8 recipients being allowed to choose homes with new and luxury features. as long as it falls under the regulated rent parameters why care if that person has crown molding and granite countertops (landlords expense, not your tax dollars)..would it make u feel better about your life if u knew all section 8 renters had faulty pipes and no HVAC.
Because it IS my tax dollars. The landlords only put these things in because they know they have guarenteed money from ME (via the government). If the landlord rents to us working folk, he doesn't put these things in because we might have a bad week/month, and be late on our payment, etc. Only because he's guarenteed the money would they risk that expense.

And you know what...there are plenty of hard working individuals working 2 jobs that have faulty pipes and HVAC. Just think if everyone in this country making minimum wage decided to "give up" and go Section 8 on us. IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE A SAFETY NET - NOT A WAY OF LIFE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland