Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Is that what this country is all about? Ehrlich isn't really any different than O'Malley. Seriously.
In "this country" that is what elections are about; supporting one of the few (normally two) viable options in any given election. Like it or not only O'Malley or Ehrlich has a chance to win the governorship.

I am not crazy about the GOP, but I like them a heck of alot more than the Dems. In a state with a closed primary I have to register with one of the two parties or have no say at all in my local elections until the general.

Ehrlich did the best job he could, stalemate goverment for 4 years. Do we really need 100s of new laws and regulations every year? No, and absent the ability to repeal all of the existing stupid ones, stalemate is not a bad option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 12:11 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Those bills are DOA and will be DOA for the foreseeable future. They've got no traction whatsoever to get them passed.

Except at the previously mentioned MML convention there was a lot of talk among municipal officials on how to get them re-started. Mostly from PG County towns.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
LOL, yeah it's just not a big priority for me. Luckily I'm in a area where I have not needed to use a gun (thank god) and hopefully wont in the future. Its just good to know I have that option if I ever need to defend myself or my family. I'm more interested the college tuition issue, taxes, jobs, social issues (other then guns) and so on.

That's the problem with many issues, especially gun control: if it doesn't impact me I don't care because I don't own/use, etc._____________. So _____________ is banned. Then comes the next one. A case in point is UBRs (Ugly Black Rifles commonly and erroneously called assault rifles), they appeal to a proportion of the shooting/firearms populace so when new sales were effectively outlawed in MD a number of years ago many other gun owners yawned. Well, since the "most" dangerous ones were outlawed all of a sudden you had a new set of "most" dangerous ones. Those turn out to be semi-automatic hunting arms such as a Browning Silver or the Remington 1100 series and there have been half-hearted attempts to get rid of those. If that happens then the next "most" dangerous ones will be the pump shotguns, and so on.
The new way to restrict gun ownership isn't to attack the firearm but to impose restrictions and taxes on ammunition, making it almost impossible to afford or obtain.

Just for fun look at the thread in Urban Planning wanting the government to force people to move back to the cities and see what the mindset of some people, and I'm involved enough with state government to know that there are officials in MD who would welcome that and try to impose it. Same with guns.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:54 PM

Default You forgot this

Democrat:

Home - VoteJP

Old 08-06-2010, 04:55 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
^^^^^^ I was going to edit that post. I hit delete and was going to post something else lol. Too late now .

LOL, yeah it's just not a big priority for me. Luckily I'm in a area where I have not needed to use a gun (thank god) and hopefully wont in the future. Its just good to know I have that option if I ever need to defend myself or my family. I'm more interested the college tuition issue, taxes, jobs, social issues (other then guns) and so on.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 PM

503 posts, read 807,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Except at the previously mentioned MML convention there was a lot of talk among municipal officials on how to get them re-started. Mostly from PG County towns.
No pull whatsoever......none. Trust me.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
No pull whatsoever......none. Trust me.

Nope, can't do that. Been involved too long. Especially when you have Cabinet Secretaries and Under Secretaries being fully involved in the discussions, recommending Legislators to contact for bill sponsorship, assigning people in their Departments as contact persons and facilitating contacts with sympathetic citizen's groups.

As far as no pull goes, if the MML gets behind legislation it has about a 90% chance of passage. That's historical.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
In "this country" that is what elections are about; supporting one of the few (normally two) viable options in any given election. Like it or not only O'Malley or Ehrlich has a chance to win the governorship.

I am not crazy about the GOP, but I like them a heck of alot more than the Dems. In a state with a closed primary I have to register with one of the two parties or have no say at all in my local elections until the general.

Ehrlich did the best job he could, stalemate goverment for 4 years. Do we really need 100s of new laws and regulations every year? No, and absent the ability to repeal all of the existing stupid ones, stalemate is not a bad option.
Tell that to the Whigs.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:30 PM

5 posts, read 8,856 times
Don't forget, fellows! There will be a Constitutionalist, a Libertarian, and a Green on the gubernatorial ballot as well. Please don't give me the usual "don't waste your vote and let O'Malley win" crap I normally get from people. I assure you, me voting for one of these third parties is not taking my vote away from Ehrlich; for if they were not on the ballot, I would not be voting. So, take this post for what it's worth.

Home - Knowles for Governor
Redirect
No website for the Green.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichlyoftheEast View Post
Don't forget, fellows! There will be a Constitutionalist, a Libertarian, and a Green on the gubernatorial ballot as well. Please don't give me the usual "don't waste your vote and let O'Malley win" crap I normally get from people. I assure you, me voting for one of these third parties is not taking my vote away from Ehrlich; for if they were not on the ballot, I would not be voting. So, take this post for what it's worth.

Home - Knowles for Governor
Redirect
No website for the Green.
It's too bad there isn't more publicity about these other candidates, because most people I've talked to are very reluctant to vote for either Ehrlick or O'Malley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland