Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:49 PM

101 posts, read 503,550 times

Advertisements

I'm cross-posting this here from the DC suburbs board, I guess no one on that sub board rides the MARC!

Original message:

We're moving for a job in DC with a big family. I'm looking for somewhat outlying suburbs so we can have some space with a reasonable cost.

So right now I'm looking in the North Potomac area, neighborhoods on the west end of Germantown and Gaithersburg and other more rural areas in that general vicinity. I'm also looking outside Manassas, VA, but MD seems more family friendly (ie more to do for young kids).

Any of these choices would have me an hour train ride away. Is the MARC train reliable enough for a daily commute into DC? am I more likely to get a seat than on the metro? Is there wifi?

I've looked at their website, and schedule and cost information is readily available, but no answers to those questions.

I appreciate any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 07:49 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Form what i heard MARC and VRE only have peak hour service unlike the other commuter rail systems of the NE. I don't know if MARC has wifi and i doubt the Metro has. For off peak commuting my B-more friend says ppl use Amtrak which comes every 30-45 mins on the Northeast Corridor. & South of DC i Beleave its every 1-2 hrs.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:55 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,620 times
MARC does not have wi-fi, but they have mentioned offering it in the future (for a price).

The service is *somewhat* reliable, but you do have to plan for delays. Usually, delays aren't significant - most of the time no more than 15-20 minutes due to either freight traffic, speed restrictions or signal problems.

However, occasionally there are longer delays that can ruin whole days/evenings. Most of the time, the serious delays are due to either accidents, inclement weather or equipment (or personnel) problems. They don't happen often, but when they do, the delays can be many hours and can lead to uncomfortable conditions (as was seen when the Penn Line MARC broke down last month - 900 riders stuck on MARC train for more than two hours with no air conditioning ).

I ride the Brunswick Line, maintained by CSX and there have been times where I had to find alternate ways home because the trains severely delayed OR the outbound departures were cancelled entirely (though I can't say I've every experienced the heinous conditions the 538 experienced).

Before starting to ride the MARC, be sure to know what alternatives you have available so they can be used in the worst circumstances.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM

101 posts, read 503,550 times
Thanks for the comments. Morning delays would be inconvenient, but I've got a reliable vehicle if I need to drive. I won't have many options getting home if there are major delays, considering how far out I'm planning on being (working in DC, living in Gaithersburg, or thereabouts). Hopefully there will be a vanpool or something of the sort at the office but I have no idea at this point.

But if the issues arise once every few months, it shouldn't be enough to disuade me from taking the train.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM

11 posts, read 28,126 times
MARC trains ARE NOT reliable. research a vanpool [like mentioned] or get close to METRO.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old bird View Post
Thanks for the comments. Morning delays would be inconvenient, but I've got a reliable vehicle if I need to drive. I won't have many options getting home if there are major delays, considering how far out I'm planning on being (working in DC, living in Gaithersburg, or thereabouts). Hopefully there will be a vanpool or something of the sort at the office but I have no idea at this point.

But if the issues arise once every few months, it shouldn't be enough to disuade me from taking the train.
Often, delays happen with little notice. So, by the time you find out, you are on board and running late. Also, if you are looking at living in Harpers Ferry (as you posted on the WV Forum), you'd have a hard time finding a van pool (though they are out there - you may have to drive to Brunswick or Jefferson to get one to DC)).

Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 AM

29 posts, read 86,485 times
MARC Trains are NOT reliable at all. MARC trains are also unsafe, I was jacked on there for my iphone by a group of punks at the Cherry Hill stop. Sure I am biased but.....that was the only time in my 30+ year life I was actually mugged.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times
I'm very sorry about what happened, but you are referring to Baltimore's Light Rail. The light rail is the only train that goes through Cherry Hill.

The MARC trains are quite safe.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 AM

29 posts, read 86,485 times
Thanks and yes that was the Light Rail, I honestly thought the "Light Rail" and MARC trains were the same.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
I have been riding the MARC trains on the Brunswick Line for 15 years now.
Yes they do have delays and cancellations. Many of the commuters, especially the really active ones and/or those who have kids in school, have learned that it can be annoying and inconvenient when it comes to booking appointments in the evening and it also helps to have a boss/company that is understanding when it comes to your commutes to work. With that said, MARC does have some plus sides: Saving wear/tear on your vehicle (might be able to get your car insurance costs lowered, gas (re: savings and ecology), you can eat, sleep or read and there's a bathroom on the train. Hard to do when you're driving on I-270 and then you get caught in a gridlock. Try looking for a bathroom then for those sudden urges from drinking too much coffee , oh and that includes begging the person in the metro kiosk that you can't hold it any longer. Some companies will give you a break in helping to pay for the commute as you're doing a favor of helping to scale back on the traffic congestion from driving/helping environment.

As far as car or van pools go. I've seen a few van pools at the Subway sandwich shop area, across the street from the Charles Town Walmart. Perhaps you can find out if they need any one to fill in for someone who's out on vacation? Good way to see how that might work for you w/out a yearly commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland