U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-26-2007, 01:48 PM

11 posts, read 122,160 times
Question Average price for utilities in Maryland

We are moving to a 3 br apartment in Odenton in about a month. We are trying to create a budget and would like to get a general idea about how much the electric bill, water, cable, internet, etc. will run us. Any input is appreciated! Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 02:02 PM

769 posts, read 2,573,744 times
I live in Anne Arundel County and own half of duplex with 3 bedrooms. There are 3 people living in my home.

On an average this is what my bills run:

Water-$90 every 3 months
Internet and phone- $72 ( I got the DSL 14.95 package and freedom package from verizon.)
Cable- $45( I have comcast, i finaggled this price, I called them and told them direct tv offered me the same channels for 39.95 a month, so Comcast matched them..these bills are with taxes and everything)
Electric Bill- this one is tricky because we just had a hike of 50% on our bills, so I have yet to see what the damage is going to be, I think the bill should be here anyday now. I suggest you get on budget billing, we were paying $215.00 on budget billing, I am expecting it to be closer to $300 a month now. It is ridiculous, but unfortunately enough people in Maryland voted for OMalley, who used BGE electric rates to win, he said he was going to fight the raise, well that didnt happen. I moved to MD 4 years ago, my budget bill went from $125 a month to who knows $300 dollars!)

Just for your information, inspections for your vehicle is every 2 years, it costs around $180 dollars, then you have to pay about 14 bucks for emission. You only have to get your vehicle inspected once the entire time you own it...crazy right? But it is a rigorous inspection first time around.

Good luck to you!

**you might be able to save some money on th ephone bill, I have heard of this company called Vonage, I am thinking about looking into it...has anyone ever checked them out?

Old 06-26-2007, 03:20 PM

109 posts, read 440,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
**you might be able to save some money on th ephone bill, I have heard of this company called Vonage, I am thinking about looking into it...has anyone ever checked them out?
I have Vonage and it has a lot of nice features. I was having problems with dropped calls before I upgraded my router. Not too many problems since. Some issues to consider:

- Your phone has to be near the cable/dsl modem. I got around this by getting one of the vtech systems that have handsets that don't need a jack. Plug the base into the router and put the handsets wherever you need them.

- Vonage is VOIP, so no power or no internet connectivity, no phone. But you can set it up to have calls automatically forwarded to another number when service is down.

- And potentially the biggest problem is Verizon has accused them of patent violations and is basically trying to drive them out of business. In March they got an injunction to prevent Vonage from signing up new customers, but Vonage fought back and won. Verizon is going for the jugular so I would keep an eye on that litigation.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:26 PM

143 posts, read 596,548 times
i hate vonage....didn't work for me

Old 06-27-2007, 05:08 AM

109 posts, read 440,095 times
Yes lots of people have had problems with Vonage. A lot of it depends on your internet service provider. But for $30 a month and unlimited calls in US, Canada, PR, and some European cities, 2.5 million customers are willing to deal with the occassional hiccup.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:35 PM

11 posts, read 122,160 times
Is electric really going to be $300 for an apartment? We will be on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building, so hopefully we will be insulated by the other apartments. The other bill prices seem normal, but right now in Oklahoma (I know there is a HUGE price difference in areas), we pay for a house about $60 a month for electric.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:56 PM

143 posts, read 402,224 times
4 Bedroom house in Howard Co. with three teenage boys (have to limit the hour long showers.

electric avg 285 month
phone 60 month
cable internet 100 month
water 45 month

Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 PM

91 posts, read 329,110 times
If you're in coverage range I suggest Comcast 3/$99 deal. Cable, Internet, Phone $99 for 2 years (and the prince only increases $20 after the 2yrs)

Old 06-28-2007, 11:59 AM

415 posts, read 1,365,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greene View Post
Is electric really going to be $300 for an apartment? We will be on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building, so hopefully we will be insulated by the other apartments. The other bill prices seem normal, but right now in Oklahoma (I know there is a HUGE price difference in areas), we pay for a house about $60 a month for electric.
Nobody knows. BGE jacked up the rates, and everyone should be getting their new bills around now. (On the order of a 50-75% increase). Some people had the "option" of paying later, or budget billing, but still, it's up in the air as to what it would be.
Our small townhouse was around $55-$70 (don't remember the exact amount) a couple of months ago . Expect about 50% higher than that this month.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:29 PM

11 posts, read 95,164 times
Yep and those living to the West with Allegehny will get their 50% hike soon. But right now our bill is less than 200 every other month and we have an electric hot water heater and stove. Ok just a window A/C and oil heat ( now that sets us back a bundle budget payment $250 a month). No water though we have a well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland