Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 08:50 PM

24 posts, read 65,946 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband will be job relocated to Maryland next month. We will be flying in BWI in couple weeks to look for a room or apartment for him for a few months. We have only a few days before he starts the job. The rest of the family will be moving there later next year, Feb or June; we are still debating when would be leats disrupting the kids' school.

We would like to be in Clarksville, Ellicott or Fulton (for kids' school selection) but I only could find these ads in Ellicott. We have never been in these cities & have no idea about the neighborhood. Please let me know if these areas are good neighborhood. TIA.

1. Dorsey Hall Drive at Columbia Road
2.8375 Montgomery Run Road
3.4534 Vinter Way

Also, I read there are not many apartments in Clarksville; where can I search for room/apartments in Clarksville & Fulton? I checked out many web sites but none came up. Thanks for pointing me to the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 08:59 AM

195 posts, read 745,282 times
There are no apartments in Clarksville or Fulton. You would have to find townhomes, condos, or single families to rent through private homeowners.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,569 times
Default Best Places to Live

Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: Columbia, MD - from MONEY Magazine

2. Columbia/Ellicott City, MD
Hundreds flock to performances of the Chesapeake Shakespeare company at an open-air theater in Ellicott City.

WINNER
Top 100 rank: 2
Population: 155,000
Unemployment: 5.2%
Compare Columbia to Top 10 Best Places

Ellicott City boasts grand homes, a lovely 18th-century downtown, and lots of restaurants. Columbia offers a wide range of housing, tons of parkland, and a major music venue. But those varied amenities are far from the only reasons this duo has risen to No. 2 from No. 8 in 2008. It's also an economic powerhouse with a jobless rate just as enviable as Eden Prairie's. The nearby National Security Agency and the Fort Meade Army base together account for more than 8,000 jobs, and the government plans to move thousands more positions there by next year. Baltimore and D.C. are within commuting distance (30 and 60 minutes, respectively).
As for housing, the foreclosure rate is one of the lowest in Maryland, yet homes are affordable -- by Northeast standards, anyway. Factor in excellent schools and a diverse population (17% of residents are black, 14% Asian), and you can see why this place has become a magnet for families. --Donna Rosato

Old 10-19-2010, 12:22 AM

Thanks for confirming the greatness of Ellicott in general; however, I'd like to get the inputs on the addr & neighborhood; not all neighborhoods equal, are they?

Never mind for these addr; they are not available anymore. We are still looking until we fly in. town next month

Old 10-20-2010, 12:22 AM

9 posts, read 19,969 times
We are also relocating and have been looking, we have no school age children but are also looking for affordable, safe and an active area. Currently my husband has an apartment in Columbia as he works out of Ft. Mead and so far so good its called The Greens at Columbia.
However, what you will find in the area is that Howard County has the best school district in Maryland as I have been told that numerous times. Homes are pricey even for us and we are coming from the Jersey shore. Some homes are beautiful. But, then there are others that you wonder what you are paying for, a high price tag for a home that has beautiful curb appeal but once inside just about every room needs to be updated. We are still looking and are about 1 year away from relocating all the way.
We have found that Clarksville ever so beautiful is extremely expensive.
I am not sure about there not being a lot of foreclosure in the entire area as I have seen many as well as a lot short sales especially in Ellicott city and yet there are still a lot of expensive homes.So good luck in your house hunting I just thought that I would share some of my experiences with you.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmom2 View Post
We are also relocating and have been looking, we have no school age children but are also looking for affordable, safe and an active area. Currently my husband has an apartment in Columbia as he works out of Ft. Mead and so far so good its called The Greens at Columbia.
However, what you will find in the area is that Howard County has the best school district in Maryland as I have been told that numerous times. Homes are pricey even for us and we are coming from the Jersey shore. Some homes are beautiful. But, then there are others that you wonder what you are paying for, a high price tag for a home that has beautiful curb appeal but once inside just about every room needs to be updated. We are still looking and are about 1 year away from relocating all the way.
We have found that Clarksville ever so beautiful is extremely expensive.
I am not sure about there not being a lot of foreclosure in the entire area as I have seen many as well as a lot short sales especially in Ellicott city and yet there are still a lot of expensive homes.So good luck in your house hunting I just thought that I would share some of my experiences with you.

Thanks for sharing your experience in house hunting /relocation. We are in the same timing- 6-12 mo to buy a house there. I have extensively researched the areas & narrowed down to those cities you've been eying: Clarksville & Ellicot + Fulton. We've never been in these areas so we'll rent out a house in either one of those cities to test it out first when the whole family moved in next year. Currently, we are only looking for a room for husband. I had the same feeling when I looked at the photos of houses in Ellicott & Clarksville & Fulton. As AlicynD,a realtor, replied there are old & new areas in Clarksville & Fulton. In new development areas in both Ellicott & Clarksville, houses w/ quality to our current house is the range of 1M; 40 yr old house are ~$500K - $700K for 4+BR & just 2 car garage & as you said may need quite a renovation (time & $$$$$). It looks like the house price there had tripled compare to that 10 yrs ago. Damn Money.com vote/ranking on Ellicott #1 to raise a family; that makes the house price in Ellicot stay high; it is good for the current home owner but it is a minus for us, home hunters. The school kids' test scores is one of the major factors set the house price as well.

You might want to check out Elkridge or Crofton; they seem to be more affordable & reasonable distant to Ft Meade.

It would be easier in those BC ( Before Children) days. Now we first look for good schools, low crime rate then the house quality.

Good luck to your house hunting, too!

Last edited by kimba888; 10-20-2010 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland