U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 21,989 times

Advertisements

I hate my pillow top mattress. I purchased it about three years ago. When I wake up in the morning I feel like I've been in a punching match. My back has been sore since I got it. Im always tired and seldomly feel rested. Ive changed pillows numerous times and I often sleep without pillows. Ive also experienced numbness in my hands, and sometimes its so bad it wakes me up. The mattress has one pillow top side, so I can only rotate or move the head to the foot and vise versa. Does anyone have any advice for better comfort, sleep, and rest. This mattress set cost over 2k. I long for the days when I had a plain mattress.
Thanks in advance.
Nadine
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 10:38 AM

3,048 posts, read 2,886,524 times
I feel your pain, literally. I have a 4 year old Stearns & Foster that cost around 3 grand. Pillow top, HATE IT. And they don't even sell reversible mattresses anymore. Afraid of Terperpedic because I've heard it gets hot and loses support after a few years. Slept on Sleep Number beds in hotels, loved it but have read they start losing air after a couple years. In Europe they have very dense cotton mattresses with no springs that stay firm but apparently aren't sold here? I've even considered checking out IKEA for a euro mattress. Ridiculous that for the prices you can't find a decent mattress that stays firm for 10 -15 years.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:17 PM

7,069 posts, read 10,825,507 times
I'm with both of you! We had a new King Size mattress set built when we moved here to Charlotte and that darned thing is absolutely a pain in the back!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:48 AM

697 posts, read 1,328,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Slept on Sleep Number beds in hotels, loved it but have read they start losing air after a couple years.
I've had my Sleep Number bed something on the order of 15 or so years and just love it. They lose air after a couple of years??? Hmmm...never heard that. They do gain/lose air based on ambient temperature (just like vehicle tires ), but adjusting this is nothing more than a quick adjustment via the remote control.

It's really a terrific bed. Stays cool, weighs nothing. It's such a simple concept that really provides a great night's sleep. This isn't an advertisement, just a very satisfied Sleep Number bed customer who would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:12 AM

195 posts, read 656,707 times
I have a regular old mattress and bought a memory foam topper which adjusts to the temperature - firms up when cooler and loosens up when warmer. I think it is great.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 AM

1,756 posts, read 3,043,705 times
I just did a whole big study recently because I want a 2-sided queen mattress set and I couldn't find one.

You can visit this forum here Mattress Forum and see what others have done. Someone says flip it over and add latex and other foam to it to build your own works, b/c the springs are usually good but the foam isn't. They don't think highly if the "S" brands, which is all of the major ones, lol.

Original Mattress Factory sells some kind of separate pillow top. Cut the top off yours and slap something on the top might work.

2-sideds are still made by Imperial Bedding of Huntington WV, and their Tempercoil sets have a similar feel to the Simmons Beautyrest but it 2 sided. The Original Mattress Factory in PA and other places, Englander, and small regional manufacturers also make 2sides. The "Holland Made" or Holland Maid" innerspring is supposed to be one of the best, and there's a company in MI that starts w/ a B, I think, that uses it. Look for smaller regional manufacturers if you want two-sideds.

The consensus at that forum is to buy a good heavy gauge double sided innerspring mattress, and then add latex or memory foam or other topper as needed. Then if / when the topper wears out or just doesn't do it for you anymore, you replace the topper. You also get the longevity of 2 sided.

If you weigh 180 or 190# or up, you need a heavy gauge wire spring. 12 or 12.5 is heavy, and probably 13 or 13.5 ga is the thinnest I'd want, even though I am not large. I like my mattress just a little less hard than the floor, lol.

At Original Matt Factory, I picked the Orthopedic Ultra Firm, with the extra cost double border of foam cylinders to stiffen the sides. The Ortho Extra Firm is also good. I hate pillow tops or eurotops. Look at the specs: This one is built to hold up to heavy people.

Study up and learn what guts are in that mattress (and foundation), and whether the foundation is a spring or not. Leggett & Platt makes makes most of the springs used in the USA. That takes some of the mystery out if it right there.

I thought OMF's Regency in queen had a little too much sway to it, and it's a Leggett & Platt "Luraflex" innerspring, so I tried Imperial's version of it and thought it also swayed, so not I know that I don't like the Luraflex spring much. But how they do the top (foam amount and how tight or loose is is) can alter the feel of the same spring system. OMF also makes a one sided Silhouette using that same Luraflex but with foams stacked, and I liked the feel of it very well and didn't feel the sway.

Be sure to try it in your size whenever possible. As, mattresses get larger, I think they need stiffer wire as well as more springs. I thought that the Lura-flex springs felt great in a twin, but they swayed too much for me in a queen. Intolerable in king size.

Imperial Bedding's line:
If you want an old fashioned basic ultra firm mattress set for low dollars, Imperial Model 49 is still made, with a few changes since the '80s. Based on what Imperial calls a #312 Bonnell innerspring, 13 ga wire that mine (probably), and the current innerspring spring is also a little taller for some initial softness, I was told. Cover is 1/2" quilt. Box spring foundation has a module or modular wire spring now. My set is full size and older, but it really has that old fashioned ultra firm & little foam feeling. There are 7 slats in my box spring.

The "Bed of Roses," Model 59 or 69, is the same set as Model 49, same Bonnell spring & all, but has a 7/8" quilt on it. It's an upgrade to the Model 49, and you might be more likely to find it in stock somewhere than you would the #49. I have tried it and liked it, and it was really inexpensive, like $500 for a queen set. I think the motion transfer is pretty adequate.

I liked the #640 Tempercoil set in queen size.

The wire in the Imperial Model 780 and 640 Tempercoil springs is 15 gauge, and Imperial makes their own Tempercoil. (I called and asked Imperial, because the stores won't tell.)

I have been told that hotels change their bedding every 18 months. I don't know whether that's true or not. If it is, they are not worried about durability.

Decent bed frames are 1.5" angle iron (steel) sides. Knickerbocker makes one that's 2" angle, dubbed the Monster. Knickerbocker, Mantua, and Leggett & Platt / Fashion Bed Group are the top frames. A good frame in Q or K costs $80 and up now, too.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 10-24-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 10-24-2010, 11:25 AM

It used to be (years ago) that mattress makers only make ultra firm mattresses. And people put toppers on them to suit, so there's historical precedent for that.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:58 PM

Body Impressions ... opinions from people who have been around for a long time?
^^ That's an interesting discussion. Even dealers are quitting the "S brands." Life of a modern mattress set is considered to be 3-5 years with 7 at the most. Lots of this one-sided stuff is junk in 2 years. Or it changes drastically from it's brand-new feel.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:12 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,251,652 times
Last time I checked, Brothers Bedding in Knoxville, TN makes a 2 sided mattress. I don`t know about now but they use to make a good mattress.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:29 PM

10,718 posts, read 19,061,208 times
I understand your pain, but this has nothing to do w/MD - try moving to shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or