U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 AM

10 posts, read 18,646 times

Advertisements

We are moving from California to Rockville this winter and am just wondering which type of car do you recommend us to buy considering the snow fall in MD/DC areas? I was told that it snows OK in rockville and we are confused if we have to go for a 4 wheel drive with a sedan or go for a SUV?

The sedan we have right now is pretty much worn out (175 K miles on it), and would like to buy a new one immediately after coming there. I appreciate advises in this regard.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 10:49 AM

10,754 posts, read 25,537,232 times
It doesn't snow too much in Rockville, comparatively, exclusive of last year which was an anomaly. You do not need an SUV for most areas, especially if you're not going to be headed skiing or to other areas where there will be unplowed roads where the ground clearance would become an issue.

If you want something car-based for general driving, I would look at a Subaru. The sedans, like the Legacy, or the wagons like the Forester and Legacy/Outback. The Forester and Outback will give extra ground clearance, but are not to the size of an SUV, and have an excellent AWD system.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 AM

Default Re: @bmwguydc

Thanks for the advise bmwguydc. Do you think we need a 4 wheel drive for the snow driving there? We were looking at VW jetta new model or toyota corolla type cars. Do you think it would be good for those areas?

Also, I was searching online and have seen that VA has 3% sales tax for cars and MD has around 5%. Do you think we can buy one in VA and use it in MD? Just wondering...

Thanks for the inputs..

Old 10-25-2010, 12:02 PM

789 posts, read 2,227,757 times
You don't need a 4 wheel drive vehicle, but a dedicated set of winter tires would help if your car is rear driven.

^ And this is is only if you have a HP vehicle. A front wheel drive vehicle with all weather tires should be okay for most of the year.

Last edited by tonyc; 10-25-2010 at 12:57 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 12:59 PM

116 posts, read 171,183 times
Last year was a fluke. Prior to that, we had gone several years without a significant snowfall. You'll be fine with a car that is front wheel drive.

Even with a big snowfall, the main factor is whether your street gets cleared quickly. The government and most employers shut down until the streets got cleared.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:03 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on this..

Any advise on which place would be better to buy a car, since we are moving there for the first time. Also, I heard VA has lesser sales tax for cars than MD. Does it matter?

Thanks again!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 PM

696 posts, read 1,328,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoom View Post
Also, I heard VA has lesser sales tax for cars than MD. Does it matter?
Regardless of the state where purchased, since it'll be tagged and registered in Maryland, you'll pay Maryland sales tax .

Old 10-25-2010, 03:46 PM

32,114 posts, read 39,199,960 times
MD is actually 6%. They'll get you when you title it in MD if you buy in VA.

You don't need 4WD unless you plan to go to Western MD for skiing and even then a FWD with good all season tires will do the trick. Keep in mind also that the entire area shuts down when it snows, that includes private businesses that do business with the Feds. Mrs. NBP has the Forester because she likes them, not because of the AWD. My main vehicle is a RWD F-150, which I do have snow tires on in the winter simply because I traveled to PA a lot in past years. I'll put the tires on it this year even though I won't be going to PA as much (mother died this past summer) because when it snows I'm off work and go goose hunting.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Thanks everyone!! Things are very clear now. Since we are new to this place any advise on the dealers in rockville or neighboring areas where we can buy?

We are planning on VW passat/jetta or Tyta corolla

Thanks!!

Old 10-25-2010, 06:58 PM

789 posts, read 2,227,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoom View Post
Thanks everyone!! Things are very clear now. Since we are new to this place any advise on the dealers in rockville or neighboring areas where we can buy?

We are planning on VW passat/jetta or Tyta corolla

Thanks!!
Carmax in Rockville....

If new for Toyota, Darcars..on 355.., and there's a VW dealer at the intersection of 355 & Wooton Pkwy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or