U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,656 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (and our french bulldog) are relocating to Annapolis MD next month from Manhattan. We are in our late 20's. Where should we be looking to live? We would love to be able to walk to town but we could be convinced otherwise. We need at least 2 bedrooms, would love outdoor space for around $3000/mo.

Also, we would love to join a country club. Are there any ones that we should be looking at?

Anything else we should be thinking about?

Thanks so much for any responses!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 AM

1,759 posts, read 4,261,704 times
Really depends on what you're looking for. There are some great properties in historic downtown Annapolis that should fit the bill and there's some really nice places in the suburbs. Feel free to send me a PM if I can help out.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 PM

45 posts, read 117,540 times
I work in Annapolis, and with the budget you have to work with, you are on the mark. An intersting thing about this town, It's high end, and then there are the "workers" that live there. But this area is NOTHING like New York and I'm afraid you will bore easily. No way you can move to D.C. or NoVa?? Annapolis is an older boating community the MarylandState Gov. is located there. I would suggest Columbia if you can. If you buy a home in Annapolis, you will not be able to sell it for the price you pay. They do have beautiful new condos, so go for it!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 AM

146 posts, read 321,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiShisHouse View Post
I work in Annapolis, and with the budget you have to work with, you are on the mark. An intersting thing about this town, It's high end, and then there are the "workers" that live there. But this area is NOTHING like New York and I'm afraid you will bore easily. No way you can move to D.C. or NoVa?? Annapolis is an older boating community the MarylandState Gov. is located there. I would suggest Columbia if you can. If you buy a home in Annapolis, you will not be able to sell it for the price you pay. They do have beautiful new condos, so go for it!
They wouldn't get bored in Columbia? If they want to choose a place that has a good city experience and still can commute to Annapolis I would suggest Federal Hill in Baltimore. It's the same distance as Columbia but has alot more energy and young people

Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM

581 posts, read 952,698 times
Anything in MD(or pretty much anywhere) is gonna be less exciting than Manhattan, but Annapolis is pretty cool. There is decent nightlife, lots of walkable old neighborhoods. A nice waterfront with good restaurants. Columbia is among the last places i would suggest.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 PM

106 posts, read 282,454 times
We are seriously considering a move to Annapolis. We have 4 kids so need room but budget will have us in $600-$800k range for house purchase. Want water access for our boats. Dont like snobs. Any thoughts or suggestions of other water accessible communities close to urban/cultural meccas? Dont want southern cities or Charleston, SC might have been just right. Cape Cod/Newport RI too far north.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Many wonderful houses on the Severn River around Annapolis that would be in your wheelhouse.

Personally, I am not sure where you will be able to find a neighborhood with 800k houses, water access, and boat owning neighbors and not run into to some snobbiness. It would seem to go with the territory, in my mind at least.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:36 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,108,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Many wonderful houses on the Severn River around Annapolis that would be in your wheelhouse.

Personally, I am not sure where you will be able to find a neighborhood with 800k houses, water access, and boat owning neighbors and not run into to some snobbiness. It would seem to go with the territory, in my mind at least.
here in MD learn the way of the car as regional long distance transit sucks here.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:41 PM

106 posts, read 282,454 times
You are probably right but I would like to think not. In Maine, you can have water front for that and not have snobbery, but Maine is not typical either...

Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,108,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardita View Post
You are probably right but I would like to think not. In Maine, you can have water front for that and not have snobbery, but Maine is not typical either...
transit to baltimore is good via mta 14 to light rail but otherwise ur dealing with useless town buses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland