U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,437 times

Advertisements

My children and I are moving from Texas to Maryland. We are in search of a home as I speak. As far as schools, safety, commute to D.C. and progressive change, which part of Maryland (closest to D.C.) would you suggest? We have looked at houses in Oxon Hill, Suitland, Hyattsville, District Heights, Capitol Heights, and Temple Hills. Oh, By progressive change I mean --technology, housing appreciation instead of depreciation, diversity, and long term goals for employment, businesses, and community establishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 11:57 AM

31 posts, read 95,131 times
Hyattsville is probably the only one that meets all of your criteria -- particularly access to tech (route one corridor, NASA, UMD, etc) and potential for appreciation in housing values.

Also look at Greenbelt (still Metro accessible, good high school, stable prop. values, reasonably safe).

Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 PM

791 posts, read 2,386,987 times
Hyattsville is the only town out of the ones you named, which has much racial diversity. It is also more convenient to several Universities, and is generally better thought of, than any of the others you named. I take it you do not yet have a job lined up ?

Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,236,245 times
I disagree with the previous two. First of all that's a really tough list because all of those places are meh, a bit mediocre. If I had to tell you a place I would choose Oxon Hill over Hyattsville, and no it's not because I live in Oxon Hill. Hyattsville housing has done horrible in these difficult times, and even though they are developing there quite a bit, most of it is still filled with a lot of crime. Oxon Hill has much better school, especially Oxon Hill High School which has a well known Science and Tech program. Oxon Hill High School is one of the top 5 high schools in this county every year and they are actually pushing to start building a brand new school building that may start construction at the end of this year. Oxon Hill middle school are okay, nothing to get excited about, but their elementary schools have special program like Montessori programs.

As far as employment and development, Oxon Hill just got the new National Harbor which is still growing to this day and has attracted a lot of upscale retail and dining, and they are also have office space available there. Oxon Hill is also a little smaller than Hyattsville so it has little more of a community feel, especially the community centers and the library (which was renovated a few years ago). Another thing Oxon Hill has over Hyattsville is that it is close to major roads like I-95 and I-295. Hyattsville is kind of wedged between Riverdale and Langley Park so traffic can be bad up there at times.

Overall Oxon Hill is just a bit better in my opinion than Hyattsville based on your criteria, but I have to ask, is there a reason you just limiting yourself to those places? The reason I asked is because there are places that are even better than the ones you just named.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 PM

789 posts, read 2,230,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I disagree with the previous two. First of all that's a really tough list because all of those places are meh, a bit mediocre. If I had to tell you a place I would choose Oxon Hill over Hyattsville, and no it's not because I live in Oxon Hill. Hyattsville housing has done horrible in these difficult times, and even though they are developing there quite a bit, most of it is still filled with a lot of crime. Oxon Hill has much better school, especially Oxon Hill High School which has a well known Science and Tech program. Oxon Hill High School is one of the top 5 high schools in this county every year and they are actually pushing to start building a brand new school building that may start construction at the end of this year. Oxon Hill middle school are okay, nothing to get excited about, but their elementary schools have special program like Montessori programs.

As far as employment and development, Oxon Hill just got the new National Harbor which is still growing to this day and has attracted a lot of upscale retail and dining, and they are also have office space available there. Oxon Hill is also a little smaller than Hyattsville so it has little more of a community feel, especially the community centers and the library (which was renovated a few years ago). Another thing Oxon Hill has over Hyattsville is that it is close to major roads like I-95 and I-295. Hyattsville is kind of wedged between Riverdale and Langley Park so traffic can be bad up there at times.

Overall Oxon Hill is just a bit better in my opinion than Hyattsville based on your criteria, but I have to ask, is there a reason you just limiting yourself to those places? The reason I asked is because there are places that are even better than the ones you just named.
I know someone with two kids that graduated at there top of their class from Oxon Hill. Both are at UM, with one on a partial scholarship due to wrestling in hs...remember now Oxon Hill rolls right into Fort Washington, so they share some of the same.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland