U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 AM

368 posts, read 1,194,244 times

Advertisements

How is the Special education environement in MD? We are a Navy family, and will most likely be PCS'ing to MD in 2013. I have one child with autism and one with a much more complicated executive functioning and psych disorder.

We are currently in Massachusetts and are thrilled with our school. My youngest son is on an IEP and has a one-to-one aid all day. We have about 60 goals on our IEP, with monthly meetings to judge progress and upcoming changes. We also get home training once a month.

My oldest is being reevaluated, and I expect him to move from a 504 to an IEP by Christmas. We also expect that he will have substantial supports, and perhaps an aide even though he is not on the spectrum or physically disabled.

Will we have any chances of getting the same services in MD? Any anecdotal stories would be appreciated. We are currently looking in the Poolesville area, but not sure if there are other areas we may have missed. We'd like a smaller town, with a strong school system. A very family focused town would be ideal, as opposed to a more developed, sports oriented, or hot-spot type of town. Schools with an ABA component, or collaborative classroom would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 AM

368 posts, read 1,194,244 times
Bumpity bump bump...

I haven't really found a lot of posts regarding SPED in MD... do y'all not have kids with special needs?

I'm looking for more specifics than most of the posts I've found that just say "MoCo or HoCo"... What type of services are common-place? What are the challenges with getting a 1-to-1 aide?

I am in the Navy and with my kid's disability status will probably be tied to the MD area for the rest of my career. I'd like to find a great school to put them in. Looking more rural. Don't mind a longer commute (right now I drive from Massachusetts to Groton, CT every day).

If anyone is familar with MA, I'm looking for towns with a feel similar to Sharon, Canton, Stoughton, Walpole, Foxboro (not the area by the stadium)...

Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,734,235 times
Some of the best in-system special ed programs and settings in the state will likely be in Montgomery and Howard counties, especially for autism. There are also a lot of non-public special ed schools in Maryland. Especially in MoCo. Some counties utilize these schools for placements more than others. While I have heard good things about autism programs in MoCo, I have also heard they are not full-day programs. I have not heard anything about programs servicing ED children in HoCo, and I have not heard good things about the servicing of such children in MoCo. I am most familiar with the PG school system. There are some bright spots here, but many children end up being placed in non-public schools, from what I have experienced with my child and from what I have observed.

Good luck.

I would say that when you are able, meet with someone from the special ed depts. in those (and other) counties and determine what would be available for your children. A 1:1 aide can be quite a fight, but at least you already have an IEP that requires it.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:11 AM

38 posts, read 131,361 times
I know know where you are moving to, but you should call the county school board. My understanding is that Howard County provides an aid for each child. I'm not familiar with the other counties.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 AM

156 posts, read 369,357 times
Anne Arundel County also has a good program. They have two special schools for those with the most severe problems but most students are mainstreamed with IEP and have the availability of an aide if that is approved in your IEP. I would suggest calling the school boards in each of the counties you are considering to get someone to actually speak with who is knowledgeable about the program and specifically as to fitting the needs of your children's needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland