Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 03:25 PM

45,318 posts, read 60,489,441 times

Advertisements

MD has different employment requirements than the adjoining states plus a higher tax load. PA personal income tax is around 3% for everyone while MD ranges from 2 to 8% with an additional County income tax of 1/2 or so of the state rate. MD taxes retired pay, PA doesn't.
Pollution of the tributaries in other states is being tightened up but it will take time. I was in the Chesapeake watershed in WPA this AM, over 300 miles from where I'm sitting now, the Western Branch of the Susquehanna River near a town in PA by the name of Burnside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
First, in a state where Dems enjoy a 2-1 registration advantage, a gubantorial candidate only getting 55% of the vote is nothing to be proud of. It is evidence of the extreme leftist politics of Annapolis.

Secondly, check out the Maryland economy AWAY from the federal corridor and you will see stagnation and decline. Our state is small and bordered by states with lower taxes, and less regulation. I live in Cumberland and have seen the neighboring counties in PA and WV attract new retail, industry and housing, while our county continues to shrink and decline. One retail store in WV actually put up a big sign saying "Thank you Governor O'Malley" when the sales tax was raised by 20%.

Anybody who thinks the MD is business friendly and that small businesses are doing "great" needs to get out of the cul-de-sac and see how the rest of the state lives.
Here's the list. Speaks for itself. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary whining to me. MD ranks 14th in country.

Table: The Best States For Business And Careers - Forbes.com

Old 11-08-2010, 04:06 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Here's the list. Speaks for itself. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary whining to me. MD ranks 14th in country.

Table: The Best States For Business And Careers - Forbes.com
Jonjj, look a little deeper into those rankings and you will see what we are talking about. Maryland ranks 49th WORST out of 50 states in business costs. We are 29th in growth prospects.

Maryland comes in #14 overall largely because we are #1 in the nebalous "quality of life" stat. That stat is based on income levels, crime, and poverty, which you and I both know isn't uniform throughout every region of our diverse state.

Here is another ranking service, specifically for small business that ranks MD 37th.

Again, it is important to note that our state doesn't exist in a vacuum, we are right next to states with more friendly business climates and we lose out comparatively.

http://www.sbecouncil.org/uploads/SB...%20version.pdf

Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 PM

25 posts, read 44,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Jonjj, look a little deeper into those rankings and you will see what we are talking about. Maryland ranks 49th WORST out of 50 states in business costs. We are 29th in growth prospects.

Maryland comes in #14 overall largely because we are #1 in the nebalous "quality of life" stat. That stat is based on income levels, crime, and poverty, which you and I both know isn't uniform throughout every region of our diverse state.

Here is another ranking service, specifically for small business that ranks MD 37th.

Again, it is important to note that our state doesn't exist in a vacuum, we are right next to states with more friendly business climates and we lose out comparatively.

http://www.sbecouncil.org/uploads/SB...%20version.pdf
My points exactly.MD has drop from 12th to 14 and will continue to in my opinion.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:34 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,539 times
As long as O'Malley and his Democratic Ilk continue to dictate the State of Maryland Business and Economic Wealth will continue to decline............

Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 PM

213 posts, read 403,848 times
Interesting that when corporations want to relocate their headquarters or other significant facilities to the D.C. area, they mostly choose Northern Virginia over Maryland.

Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland