U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 07:38 AM

158 posts, read 376,407 times

Advertisements

Wow, the topic of this thread has turned lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
We hate the steelers and the colts.
Don't hate the Colts. I am from Indy and love my team. I remember getting ready for school one morning when I heard it announced that the franchise left Baltimore and arrived in Indianapolis in the back of a Mayflower moving truck. That was close to 30 years ago now. You people hold grudges here. Seriously. I wear my Colts sweatshirt and purse around and I get all sorts of (mostly good natured ribbing) comments. You have a new team. Embrace them! I'm just hoping that the NFL stuff gets sorted out since the superbowl is in Indy this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
MD is the only state where some bowling alleys still offer "duckpin" lanes (smaller pins, with balls about half the size of standard balls). "Maryland Life" magazine did an article about this.
Nope, I think it's been pointed out by others, but we had duckpin in Indy and also in the small town I lived in in NE OH when I was stationed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post

Talking to someone from eastern PA is interesting. We don't have the same foods, or language. I mean, English and basic foods of course, but specialty items def not. You go to any sporting event here and you will buy pepperoni balls and pop, I guarantee it. You will not buy a cheesesteak and soda. And if my car ever broke down on the highway and I had to call for help, god-forbid I tell them I'm on "the berm". Apparently that word doesn't exist outside western-PA/eastern-OH/WV. (it's the side of the highway).
I remember seeing my first "No Berm" sign as I was driving to Kent State University. I turned to me husband and asked, "What the hell is a berm?" "You know, the side of the road?" "You mean a shoulder? Why not just say no shoulder like the rest of America does?" Ohio pronounces the names of some of their towns rather oddly too, but that's another discussion entirely

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
No way, two conservatives that attended college! Impossible! We have to be uneducated and ignorant, or else how can the liberals explain away why don't we see the "obvious" and agree with them?
Another college educated conservative here. I know more college grads who are cons rather than libs, but I am also around military pretty much 24/7. While there are some liberals who serve, it is pretty much an oxymoron to say 'liberal soldier' lol

Sorry to have broken up the latest discussion, but I do find it all very interesting. I am having my first MD blue crabs tonight. Woot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 07:47 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,729,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bree~ View Post
I am having my first MD blue crabs tonight. Woot!
Enjoy!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Enjoy!
Thank you! They look like a complete pain in the butt to eat, but I suppose that's half the fun.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Thank you! They look like a complete pain in the butt to eat, but I suppose that's half the fun.
Just don't get scared off once you get inside the crab, and don't be afraid to ask the server for instructions.

Once you get good at picking you'll get to the point where the "I'm burning more calories than I'm consuming - this is stupid" feeling goes away.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 AM

And don't wear your colts stuff to the crabhouse.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Just don't get scared off once you get inside the crab, and don't be afraid to ask the server for instructions.

Once you get good at picking you'll get to the point where the "I'm burning more calories than I'm consuming - this is stupid" feeling goes away.
I'm doing them at home, so I can figure it out in private first

Quote:
And don't wear your colts stuff to the crabhouse.
Ha! I've figured that one out already. So far people have been very good natured about it, but I can see how someone would take it as a personal affront against them and want to kick my butt even though I'm a girl

Old 05-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Ha! I've figured that one out already. So far people have been very good natured about it, but I can see how someone would take it as a personal affront against them and want to kick my butt even though I'm a girl
It was so long ago, you'd think people would be ready to let it go. I guess some can't get there.

Anyway I'm sure you can youtube "how to eat a crab" or something if you need help!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:55 PM

25 posts, read 46,735 times
CelticViking don't you see an amusing contradiction? Like ScotchKorean- I don't really like Sunbursts, but that commercial cracked me up. It okay bud. Sorry for poking the bear. I started the argument and I shouldn't have, we kool I hope.

I feel for the merchants near the WV border when it comes to smokes. I live near the boarder too. I know a bunch of people that drive to WV to buy them. The tax is too high in MD, but from a statewide perspective I can see why it doesn't bother the politicians in Annapolis. The numbers in western MD just are high enough to justify any action- on a state level- despite your personal experiences or mine.

I'm in Washington county and the public schools here are pretty decent. In fact, most of the services here are either at par or above par. I've lived all over the state, including PG county, and western MD is pretty well off despite the stereotypes. I miss the bay, but I like it here.

PG county was one of the worst places I've ever lived in several ways- crime, poverty, congestion. I'd rather leave my favorite state (MD, if you can't tell ) than live in PG county again. I don't have a problem helping them out there with tax money- PG county sucks. That f- everyone but me is a little selfish, at least I think so. If I see someone choking on the street a block down, I'd like to think I would help them rather than say- "Well guess you should have voted republican and not eaten that walnut"., and just keep on walking.

Can I ask a question about Mahoney? What details does anyone remember? Do you still know the Mahoneys in B-more? I'm too young to remember Mahoney's gubernatorial campaign other than it existed- a 70's or early 80's campaign, I think. I'm both intrigued and excited he was mentioned in this thread. Baltimore history is interesting and rich. Any memories about Mahoney would be appreciated.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:54 PM

2,892 posts, read 3,398,965 times
I knew Mahoney's son when we were kids -- he would be early-mid 60's now. His name is also George P. Mahoney. I believe that he still lives near Baltimore, but I have had no contact with him for many, many years now. He was a nice guy back then (and probably still is!). One thing that I do remember is that his dad was always running for one office or another. Being in the public eye like that could be hard on a kid, but young George handled it well.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 PM

25 posts, read 46,735 times
Thanks Hamish Forbes. I did a little research and looked him up. I was way off, Mahoney ran in the mid 60's as a Dem. I saw the "protect your castle" quote from his campaign in this thread. Most people seem to think that was a way to dispute the civil rights of the civil rights movement. Wallance even supported him in his gov race. In his defense, the world was radically different then. Wallance even said he regretted his position later in life. I couldn't find Mahoney's actual stance on segregation. I might need someone old enough to remember to answer that one.

I don't know if an anti civil rights slogan is the right thing to use to promote your position or anything.

-HorseGoat-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland