Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 PM

7,015 posts, read 11,307,950 times

Advertisements

Or maybe, both Baltimores, Anne Arundel, and Southern Maryland could stay together and still be called Maryland or "West Shore." That has a nice ring to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 03:33 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
There was a movement in the 1960's having the Eastern Shore to secede from the state of Maryland. One night on the WBAL news, a reporter asked the spokesman for the Eastern Shore faction "What will you call your state?" The Eastern Shore man said "We're going to call it 'Maryland.' Let the other part scratch around for a new name."

Ah, the odd things that we remember . . .

Old 05-29-2011, 05:38 PM

25 posts, read 54,761 times
Ha ha, "always the bridesmaid and never the bride". It funny, I know exactly what you mean.

About the eastern shore- your forgetting about OC. One of the funnier posts in one of these treads was the guy who said: MD is like South Jersey, they really love their state flag and the whole state goes to OC every summer. Sorry I don't feel like looking it up. I can see the perspective of someone close enough to know some details of MD, but too far to know specific details. Maybe a New Yorker or New Englander. He is right about the OC thing though. I can't go to OC this summer and it makes me sad. If the eastern shore is separated from MD, OC will at least need to be a MD protectorate.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:20 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Hmmm..... You could break off Delmarva into its own state, move Allegany, Garrett into WV. Let the rural parts of Washington County and the other Mason-Dixon Counties become part of PA (basically if you know what a fascnaut is, you should become part of PA , then let the rest of Maryland absorb DC and NOVA complete the transformation into an ubber rich, liberal, dense state. Wouldn't everyone be happier?

Then you know what would happen? The liberals would move into our conservative state like they usually do to the other conservative states and ruin it with bringing there ideals to the state. You ever notice how that happens...?They move from North Eastern liberal states(that they supposedly love so much) to the more southern/conservative states(that they supposedly despise) bringing there rhetoric, and trying to change the politics of the state.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwclassic View Post
Ha ha, "always the bridesmaid and never the bride". It funny, I know exactly what you mean.

About the eastern shore- your forgetting about OC. One of the funnier posts in one of these treads was the guy who said: MD is like South Jersey, they really love their state flag and the whole state goes to OC every summer. Sorry I don't feel like looking it up. I can see the perspective of someone close enough to know some details of MD, but too far to know specific details. Maybe a New Yorker or New Englander. He is right about the OC thing though. I can't go to OC this summer and it makes me sad. If the eastern shore is separated from MD, OC will at least need to be a MD protectorate.
The poster was right about one thing, at least as far as I am concerned, I do love the flag. I like OC as too, but not as much as the Outer Banks of NC.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:56 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
Then you know what would happen? The liberals would move into our conservative state like they usually do to the other conservative states and ruin it with bringing there ideals to the state. You ever notice how that happens...?They move from North Eastern liberal states(that they supposedly love so much) to the more southern/conservative states(that they supposedly despise) bringing there rhetoric, and trying to change the politics of the state.

Um..ok. Don't let the fact that most of your rapid growth Sunbelt states voted Republican. It seems as if the slowest growth Rustbelt states voted most heavily Democratic. Certainly unions play a role, however I would think the Californians that "Californicate" the west and the Floridians that move to Georgia have a tendency to be more conservative. Frankly I don't think it matters because this discussion becomes circular. Once again, so called "liberal" states pay more in taxes than they receive from the federal government. So called "conservative states" get back more than they give:

Maryland is one of the few "liberal" states that gets back more than it sends, but I think without question this is just spillover from federal government bureaucratic expenditures such as NIH, Social Security Administration, U.S. Census Bureau, BRAC, etc. And of course the list above needs to be updated as Florida, Colorado, and Nevada swung "blue" at least for 2008. The only "red" state that gets back less than it gives is Texas and I would look for that state to swing "blue" in 2012.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:10 PM

I really want to examine that data more. I suspect it is a little padded. It makes sense if you think about it though: "red" states don't like taxes and consequently have no money to give. I've lived in the South East and the area does have it's charm, without question. But without tax money they don't have the resources to facilitate upward mobility, ie. schools, or commerce driving forces, like public transit. The majority of law and med students from TN are educated out of state because there aren't enough schools instate, for example. But the number of law schools in TN is about to double with private schools, so we'll see, and a new DO school did just open.

There are 2 states that are exceptions to all that is good and reasonable. They are both republics in fact, TX and CA play by different rules then the rest of us. Neither can be considered blue or red because they both have traits of both. Convention tells us that CA is a dem state and TX is a repub state, but they are neither.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:13 AM

It would seem that poverty dictates the top "receivers" of federal dollars more than presidential voting history does. The presence of recognized Native America groups would appear to be a big factor as well.

I think it is also important to note that many of the "receivers" vote GOP in Presidential elections, but are dominated locally by the Democratic party, and frequently elect Democratic representatives and senators to Congress. WV being the most obvious example, many of the Southern States fit this pattern as well. I think if you arranged the chart by local party voting patterns or representation in Congress, the chart would look much different. So, while that chart is interesting, I am not sure how much value it has other than than "Huh, that is weird" factor.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:14 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
I suppose that each of us can have and believe his own theory. This one, however, is completely contrary to what has actually happened in Wake County, North Carolina, where I presently live. We have had something like 46% growth in the last ten years (!), a lot of which has been of the right-wing, tea party transplant nature. One result has been an overthrow of the fairly liberal county school board and the reinstatement of more traditional ideas regarding neighborhood schools and the like. In other words, the transition has been toward more conservative here as the result of "newcomers."

I do not detect any evidence at all that many of the newcomers "despise" anything in particular about Southern culture (yes, there will always be a few nut cases who do, along with a few homegrown rednecks who "hate Yankees").

Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 AM

Good point on the poverty impact. The WV factor struck out to me too. WV actually has pretty reasonable, and by that I mean not extreme in any direction, politics. I think they are usually a blue state as well. I know the recent gov race was basically a dem race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland