Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 PM

389 posts, read 797,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Never hear Smib before either. I suspect it isn't a term I should go down to NBP's part of the world and start throwing around. Nothing wrong with a little inbreeding, although it makes geneology a bear to research.

I also found out later in life there are many perjuratives nicknames for Cumberland that are used in the more rural parts of our area. It seems like a lot of terms are used to talk about people and their communities behind their backs.
You mean, like Scumberland? I'm drawing a blank otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 07:31 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Yup, that would be the one. Not very flattering.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:42 PM

25 posts, read 54,767 times
That's a long frustrating one too. That why people from Massachusetts say Mass. I don't think I have ever heard the long version used in conversation.

There is a forum out there some where titled: "How Mass Are You", with some funny lists. "You're only real Mass if you have ever kicked someones head in over a Red Sox game after 12 beers and a pint of whiskey" is close to one of them.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:44 AM

143 posts, read 365,865 times
"Tell Jeeves to bring the lobster boat around."

Old 06-25-2011, 11:57 PM

13 posts, read 14,497 times
I think the Maryland accent is very distinct.

All three major cities are fairly close to each other, and that is where
a majority of the diversity is.

Annapolis has a preppy vibe to it and a lot of the people I met there were conservative and kind of like .. old money.. types. Baltimore I'm sure you know of. But the rest of Maryland felt very much a part of the south, with plenty of confederate flags waving proud.

The state is shaped like a hand gun cause they really like guns and huntin.

I hate to say it, but I had very negative experiences living in Maryland. Maybe the best way to describe it is.. like Appalachian culturally. I met too many people who had never left the state or even the county in the southern part (Calvert County). Ocean City is as exotic as it gets.. Myrtle Beach is a luxury.

When we first arrived, we had still had our old states license plates and people told us to 'go back where we came from.' They like 'their own' and not much else. They will tell you proudly they have a bad attitude. Which I completely agree with.. not the most polite, warm place I've ever been.

If you dont hunt or fish, or aren't a retired writer, I wouldn't know what to suggest for entertainment there. Seriously, maryland.. where writers go to retire. (like maine?)

Old 06-26-2011, 02:35 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Like guns? MD has some of the most restrictive firearms laws in the US.

Like hunting? You specifically mentioned Calvert County. The County where the previous Board of County Commissioners had the blind site regulations re-interpreted to take away over half the previous legal sites? The County where over the last decade more and more County property, purchased with Project Open Space Funds with the previous owner's requirement that the land remain open to hunting or Fish and Wildlife money, has been closed to hunting? The County that has a very active group of mostly new residents who are trying, and have succeeded in a couple locations, to have hunting, crabbing and fishing banned on certain areas of the Bay and Patuxent River? That County?

The state that has an anti-gun Governor and whose political appointments to DNR are anti-gun and anti-hunting. The department where over half of the new Wildlife Conservation Officers have never hunted and are anti-gun in general? Where almost all of the State Legislators from the 4 most populous districts yearly introduce even more stringent gun control proposals? Where the Attorney General has re-interpreted State law making the purchase of firearms and ammunition even more difficult? That State?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 AM

201 posts, read 574,202 times
I feel like Maryland is just known for Baltimore, DC, and Annapolis (Maybe.) Atleast that's how it seems to me. I feel like there is no real way to characterize Marylanders as a whole because of how different the various parts of the state are. I realize that my lifestyle in Worcester county is not like that of people in Howard, Montgomery, or Baltimore county; so you can't really group Marylanders like that. Imo, it's a very diverse state

Old 06-27-2011, 01:49 PM

480 posts, read 1,917,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What is MARYLAND known for?

It's always one of those states that just seems overlooked. I've never heard anyone say 'I really want to move to MARYLAND'.

I've met a few people from Maryland, but I could never really pigeonhole them, like you can if someone says they are from Texas or New Jersey or somewhere like that. It draws a blank, when I try to think of Maryland characteristics...

When I think of BALTIMORE, I don't automatically associate MARYLAND either. They seem like two different images that come to mind. Do others associate them closely together, or is there a disconnect between the two as well?

So, what is Maryland known for? What are characteristics of Marylanders?
Crabs
Ocean City
Bawlmer
Hon
Liberals

Old 06-27-2011, 01:51 PM

480 posts, read 1,917,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post

Crabs and Crime.
Democrats and Diversity.
Sounds like a weekend at Bill Clinton's house!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:25 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
I feel like Maryland is just known for Baltimore, DC, and Annapolis (Maybe.) Atleast that's how it seems to me. I feel like there is no real way to characterize Marylanders as a whole because of how different the various parts of the state are. I realize that my lifestyle in Worcester county is not like that of people in Howard, Montgomery, or Baltimore county; so you can't really group Marylanders like that. Imo, it's a very diverse state
I agree..I've found that the Baltimore/Washington core is faster paced, while the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland are much more laid back and conservative. The same can be said about almost any state for that matter.

Louisiana, where I am from changes dramatically in a social and cultural sense once you cross from the Northern to the Southern part of the state, or vice versa. North La. is considered the Bible belt and the Southern half is eat, drink and be merry 24/7 .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland