U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 AM

22 posts, read 44,551 times

Advertisements

These are all generalizations...so these statements are not true for everyone, of course.

Maryland and Marylanders are known for...

Old Bay seasoning on steamed Blue Crabs (and other stuff too, like fries).

Going "down the O, hon".

Bad traffic and bad drivers (DC and Baltimore traffic and drivers have been ranked among the worst in the country).

We love to hate the Yankees and the Steelers.

Jean shorts, white socks, white sneakers, shirt tucked in...all at the same time...on the same person.

An amazing sense of loyalty to whatever you hold dear, whether it is your neighborhood, your sports team, your school, your favorite bar and/or restaurant, your car/truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:19 AM

202 posts, read 469,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpt2569 View Post
Going "down the O, hon".
You know, I never knew people across the bridge said that until coming to this forum. I'm already here downy ocean hon, so I guess I wouldn't hear that.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
You know, I never knew people across the bridge said that until coming to this forum. I'm already here downy ocean hon, so I guess I wouldn't hear that.
I'm not sure a lot of people really do say it, to be honest. I think we like to say that we say that...does that make sense? Anyway, I love it down the O, we go every year...usually in September. What parts you from down there?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM

I understand what you mean. I remember the first time I saw that. I was like "Do they really say it like that?!" I'm really not that big of a fan, but that's probably because i've lived near it my entire life. I'm from Berlin, 10 minutes or less (depending on how fast you drive) away from Ocean City!

Old 06-30-2011, 12:11 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
I think "downy Ocean" is Baltimoron speak (and yes, I misspelled that on purpose). I've been in Ocean City since Sunday (we live by the Bay in a town with beach in the name but Mrs. NBP insists on coming to "THE BEACH". I was working for 4 days and today was the first time I've been east of the Boardwalk.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 PM

I've heard about that Baltimoron speak, it was quite entertaining to read about. I've met a lot of people from Baltimore and none of them talk as severely as the internet proclaims. I simply say lets go to the "water" (I tried to misspell it how I say it but it's virtually impossible)

Old 06-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
I've heard about that Baltimoron speak, it was quite entertaining to read about. I've met a lot of people from Baltimore and none of them talk as severely as the internet proclaims. I simply say lets go to the "water" (I tried to misspell it how I say it but it's virtually impossible)
Well us "Baltimorons" say "warter" for water, and "warsh" for wash. There is definitely a baltimore-ese spoken in certain parts of town. That's where the phrase "down-y-o, hon" comes from, I would guess. I can understand why some people would call us Baltimorons, but it's a stereotype that is not suited to all of us who live here.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Ah yes, the Baltimore dialect, impossible to confuse, impossible for an outsider to duplicate, and leaves me scratching my head trying to figure out how the human mouth can make those vowel sounds. I know a few people 40 and older that have it thick, but it seems to be in decline among the younger generation, at least in its extreme parodied form.

I prefer the Pittsburgh dialect myself. I never realized how much of a Yinzer "Mr. Rogers" was until I rewatched the episodes with my own daughter. I wonder how many retakes he had to do when he slipped a "n'at" in there!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:11 PM

13 posts, read 12,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Like guns? MD has some of the most restrictive firearms laws in the US.

Like hunting? You specifically mentioned Calvert County. The County where the previous Board of County Commissioners had the blind site regulations re-interpreted to take away over half the previous legal sites? The County where over the last decade more and more County property, purchased with Project Open Space Funds with the previous owner's requirement that the land remain open to hunting or Fish and Wildlife money, has been closed to hunting? The County that has a very active group of mostly new residents who are trying, and have succeeded in a couple locations, to have hunting, crabbing and fishing banned on certain areas of the Bay and Patuxent River? That County?

The state that has an anti-gun Governor and whose political appointments to DNR are anti-gun and anti-hunting. The department where over half of the new Wildlife Conservation Officers have never hunted and are anti-gun in general? Where almost all of the State Legislators from the 4 most populous districts yearly introduce even more stringent gun control proposals? Where the Attorney General has re-interpreted State law making the purchase of firearms and ammunition even more difficult? That State?
I lived there about 9 years ago. I heard there are more people moving to Calvert now. So I dont doubt its probably changing the climate a bit.

I had neighbors who would go in the backyard and just shoot randomly at whatever was back there. Really, just reckless with their guns, shooting at clouds in the sky in a residential neighborhood. There were also instances of people leaving their rifles in their car at my school. My friend's dad was a fisherman, etc. Numerous examples of hunting culture.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:19 PM

317 posts, read 464,761 times
-Different distinct dialects from each region - Maryland = Merlin - The Mid-Atlantic Dialects
-Goddard Space Flight Center.
-The bay bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland