U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 09:01 AM

317 posts, read 465,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
-Different distinct dialects from each region - Maryland = Merlin - The Mid-Atlantic Dialects
-Goddard Space Flight Center.
-The bay bridge.
I forgot to mention the Chesapeake Bay Retriever.
Chesapeake Bay Retriever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 10:16 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,194,285 times
- Blue Crabs!
- The Terrapins
- Baltimore, DC, and Ocean City
- Leftist politics at the state and federal levels
- $$$
- Federal agencies/bases
- Having a higher geographical/cultural variety to area ratio than nearly any other state

Old 07-20-2012, 12:31 AM

575 posts, read 421,072 times
*Crabs
*Liberals
*Baltimore City
*PG County
*Johns Hopkins

Old 07-20-2012, 02:27 AM

582 posts, read 742,314 times
Identification by county. Many people I meet say "why do Marylanders always identify by county?" It dates back to the farming days and the general lack of proper towns.

Seafood. Crabs mostly but also rockfish and other fish.

Old Bay. Apply generously on almost all food or your title "Marylander" is revoked.

Diversity. You've got your southerners, city folks, mountain folks, Baltimorons, and damn yankees.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,230 times
Ravens and Orioles(sports in general) Fanatics
Loud & fast paced
Bi-Polar
intelligent but ignorant
Lots of arguements whether good or bad natured
meanest people to strangers
clickish
Can be very fun and enjoyable at times.
...............ummm
I give up, I lived there for 18 years and I still can't quite put my finger on how it is there. There is a lot of things I loved and a lot of things about it that made me very depressed so I had to get away but I might return someday just like most others who eventually do.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:51 PM

386 posts, read 532,016 times
We defined the line between the south and north
We wrote the Star spangled banner
We held out against the second invasion of the greatest military force in the world
We were one of the most fertile areas for tobacco and cotton growth until recent tax and urban sprawl ruined that
We were the first to have a ground altercation against northern troops in the war of northern agression
We were one of if not the only state that had US guns pointed at our major cities for extended periods of times
We were the only state that was martial law occupied AND had habeas corpus abandoned (only known case for the latter ever)
We are well known for our seafood (mostly crabs but also shrimp too)
We are known for having an abundance of both southern and northern cultures
We are known as little America as we have everything from beaches to flat plains to rolling hills to mountains (no deserts thankfully)
We have the Chesapeake that we share with VA and the mouth somewhat with NC

Sadly we get swallowed up between VA and PA, but we do have a very rich history.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
We were one of the most fertile areas for tobacco and cotton growth until recent tax and urban sprawl ruined that.
Tobacco's making a bit of a comeback since there's been major problems with the corn crop and it's just not looking that profitable anymore.

Unfortunately this means that my mother in law will have so start complaining about "seein' them fields of death" again.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Tobacco's making a bit of a comeback since there's been major problems with the corn crop and it's just not looking that profitable anymore.

Unfortunately this means that my mother in law will have so start complaining about "seein' them fields of death" again.
While Im against smoking, I do find myself with a pinch of skoal from time to time...dont tell my wife. I do wish I saw VA or MD on the where it came from sign on the can as that not only means jobs, but also re-embracing Marylands roots as a strong rural state. We were known for agriculture until federal explosion and expansion not so long ago. So for me its a 2 fold gain in that we have more jobs not only in the US but also in our great state and I get my jollies by seeing more farms being from a loooong line of farmers....plus hay bails are heavy

Old 08-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
While Im against smoking, I do find myself with a pinch of skoal from time to time...dont tell my wife. I do wish I saw VA or MD on the where it came from sign on the can as that not only means jobs, but also re-embracing Marylands roots as a strong rural state. We were known for agriculture until federal explosion and expansion not so long ago. So for me its a 2 fold gain in that we have more jobs not only in the US but also in our great state and I get my jollies by seeing more farms being from a loooong line of farmers....plus hay bails are heavy
Agriculture is still the main industry in the state after the service economy. I don't mind Maryland not being remembered for agriculture, but I would sure like it if people would stop saying "Maryland is a big suburb" and "Maryland is just a suburb of DC" and "Maryland has no native culture as it's all suburbs" and "lol Maryland is a wasteland it's one massive city and there aren't even any crabs left". I hate that because its not true and really demotes the state.

I'm against smoking too but complaining about "fields of death" is much too dramatic.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Agriculture is still the main industry in the state after the service economy. I don't mind Maryland not being remembered for agriculture, but I would sure like it if people would stop saying "Maryland is a big suburb" and "Maryland is just a suburb of DC" and "Maryland has no native culture as it's all suburbs" and "lol Maryland is a wasteland it's one massive city and there aren't even any crabs left". I hate that because its not true and really demotes the state.

I'm against smoking too but complaining about "fields of death" is much too dramatic.
Yeah I chuckle a little when people think its too crowded. Yeah that may be in the cities, but drive 10 minutes west of Columbia and your in the sticks. There is so much rural areas left, but with steady "progress" cities like Columbia are gobbling up all the areas in the middle of the big three (DC, Baltimore, Fredrick) it can. So I can see how most people who only visit the central parts can see its well a bit stuffy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland