U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 PM

29 posts, read 54,673 times

Advertisements

Yup I will say Maryland is famous for our Blue Crabs and Cheapeak bay i guess? Also our education is also great. People from MD according to some magazine smart goodlooking and money wise especially with.men hahahah idk if thats true or not. Another is the Ravens too probably when football season comes x
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 01:47 PM

48 posts, read 66,455 times
Blue Crabs, Lacrosse, Under Armour, and The Wire. Those 4 things instantly register Maryland for most folks.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdance View Post
Crabs.
Old Bay (which is a seasoning commonly put on crabs, as well as just about everything else)
Murder (Baltimore)

Characteristics of Marylanders:
Love watching football (Baltimore Ravens)
Go to Ocean City, md EVERY SINGLE summer for vacation
Either listen to country music or rap music or pop music. (very hard to find any modern rock on the radio)
Love thier state flag, it shows up everywhere. I lived in PA just as long as I have lived in MD, and I can't even tell you what the Pa state flag looks like. But I see the MD flag at least ten times a day, on houses/buildings/TV. Just a random thing I've noticed about this place.
I don't like football.
I haven't been to Ocean City for years.
... Touche
That's true too...

Just saying. Not trying to be mean.
And besides, there are a lot of immigrants, who may not like football. Yeah, I'm pretty late on this...

Old 06-20-2014, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,894 times
Default Hey

I am late. But good topic.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:08 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
i didn't even click on that link because i do not have to actually read it to know its mostly ignorance and lack of personal experiences in the places mentioned. I dont know about everyone, but in the black community maryland is widely known for having so me of the sexiest black women in the us. On par with atl, houston, la etc. And i can put that on anything.
This!!!

Old 06-22-2014, 12:10 PM

33,299 posts, read 14,541,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Maryland has a bit of everything, from mountains in the west to the beaches on the east coast; small rural towns with historic character to large cities and suburban sprawl. Although Maryland is heavily democratic in voting, there are plenty of more conservative areas in the southern and western areas of the state. Maryland has 4 true season changes with cold winters and hot humid summers. People are diverse; d.c. and Montgomery County have a rich cultural religous diversity; other rural areas remain relatively unchanged in ethnic and cultural make up from 50 years prior. You can find just about whatever you are looking for in some area of Maryland. Not that it is without its faults but Maryland has more to offer in terms of variety than a lot of other states. Job opportunities are better here than most places. It just depends what you are looking for.
"Although Maryland is heavily democratic in voting," Only in the Baltimore City and County and the counties of Prince Georges and Montgomery. The rest of the state is republican.

Unfortunately the "rest of the state", 21 Counties, can't match those other 4 areas in population.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:12 PM

33,299 posts, read 14,541,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The U.S. national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner," was written in Maryland by a Marylander.

The present territory of Washington, D.C. was carved completely out of Maryland.

Baltimore was the second U.S. city, after New York City, to reach a population of 100,000.

Maryland was the most important border state during the Civil War.

Much of Maryland encloses the Chesapeake Bay, the largest bay and estuary in the U.S.

Maryland is one of the most affluent states and currently has the highest median household income of all U.S. states.
Annapolis, a VERY historic town, was the first U.S. capital.

Annapolis is home to the United States Naval Academy.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:35 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Although Maryland is heavily democratic in voting," Only in the Baltimore City and County and the counties of Prince Georges and Montgomery. The rest of the state is republican.

Fortunately the "rest of the state", 21 Counties, can't match those other 4 areas in population.
Perhaps.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:30 PM

56 posts, read 58,162 times
I think Maryland, by nature, isn't very "staty": people are probably more city-centric here. I grew up in the Maryland DC suburbs, but if someone asks, I've never volunteered, "I'm from Maryland," but rather I say "I'm from DC."

If I'm talking to someone who recognizes that people who say they're from DC aren't necessarily from DC, they usually ask, "Are you ACTUALLY from inside the District?," in which case I concede that I'm a Marylander. I don't feel much state pride, because so many of my friends are from DC or Virginia; rather, I feel city-pride.

However, I've seen Baltimoreans have state-pride, which is where, I think, the "Crabs/Chesapeake" stereotype comes from (even though most of the state, including the DC area, isn't close enough to the Chesapeake to be closely associated culturally with seafood). In MoCo, the Appalachians are something closer to home than the Chesapeake or the beaches. Frederick and Hagerstown are more familiar than Baltimore or Annapolis. That is, there's so much diversity that it's hard to pinpoint a single stereotype that generally covers the whole state.

DC-centricity and the fact that I'm vegetarian make me reject the "crabs" stereotype. But I can't think of any others that fit!

Old 06-29-2014, 02:39 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,273,756 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
We defined the line between the south and north
We wrote the Star spangled banner
We held out against the second invasion of the greatest military force in the world
We were one of the most fertile areas for tobacco and cotton growth until recent tax and urban sprawl ruined that
We were the first to have a ground altercation against northern troops in the war of northern agression
We were one of if not the only state that had US guns pointed at our major cities for extended periods of times
We were the only state that was martial law occupied AND had habeas corpus abandoned (only known case for the latter ever)
We are well known for our seafood (mostly crabs but also shrimp too)
We are known for having an abundance of both southern and northern cultures
We are known as little America as we have everything from beaches to flat plains to rolling hills to mountains (no deserts thankfully)
We have the Chesapeake that we share with VA and the mouth somewhat with NC

Sadly we get swallowed up between VA and PA, but we do have a very rich history.
well gosh darnet.......Maryland stand up !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland