Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 11:33 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post

Ocean City, Assateague Island, Dr. Mudd, Calvert Marine Museum,Old Bay seasoning,Historic St. Mary's City etc.
Nobody outside of the mid-atlantic area knows what any of this stuff is.

Source: I live in GA now

Most people down here don't even know what the MD flag looks like, that MD is known for crabs or even that MD has it's own type of crab that is different from the crab legs they get at the local buffet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 07:53 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
Coonism and Stephen fetchin' type behavior is a characteristic of Maryland.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:26 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Shouldn't that be Stepin?

Old 06-08-2018, 09:08 AM

182 posts, read 247,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think you have a lot of truth in here. Just for interesting thought-inducing future posts...thought I'd comment on it nontheless.

Part I - California. Yeah, CA has that large varied Pacific Asia thing to all new levels. Nowhere in the western world can compete on that level. But for outside of CA, it seems that NY/NY and DC/MD/VA and Chicago could be closer 2nd tier leaving far behind everyone else after them though.

Part II - Maryland vs Pennsylvania. That's tough, sounds more like Baltimore vs Philadelphia that you are stressing. From what I know of PA as a state, they have the largest elderly population outside of FL...people just don't leave PA when they get old. Driving around PA, I also feel that there is step back in time of yesteryear throughout most of the State. Feels so different from the rest of the country. I'm a big fan of PA, but it seems that your experience in South Philly is what you are stressing, but speaking in terms of all of PA is mixed and groovy and all of MD isn't and stressed. Seems like should be Baltimore vs South Philly rather than 'Maryland' being the problem one. But, I would agree with you on the South Philly over Baltimore.

Part III - which brings me to Philly vs Baltimore. I recently spent some time in both cities trying to get a feel for them. I INSTANTLY loved Philadelphia and more I explored, the more impressed and just plain comfortable I felt with it. I really wanted to love Baltimore - both rowhome cities with character. I INSTANTLY did not like Baltimore at all. Absolutely hated it. I could go into more details...but they did have significantly different feels to them. I can completely understand your preference for Philly over Baltimore.

Part IV - Growing up experinces vs being adult. I think pretty much everyone everywhere has issues with where they grew up and 'racial issues'. I think teens and such are just that way...whereas adults really appreciate and admire the beauty that comes from mixed kids, adulthood, etc. Seems like often the beautiful people in high school become ugly in adulthood, and the uglies in high school become beautiful in adulthood. I also fondly recall moving to NYC as an adult and thinking that racially NYC was pretty damn cool and progressive and everything else. However, my NYC friends who were born and raised in NYC thought it was the most racist divided city they had ever known. I think it basically come down to adulthood impressions of a place versus teenager impressions of a place.

I'm in PA a bit , and don't see anything "groovy" about it, but depressing comes to mind. Crossing over from PA to MD out near DCL , and then I see signs again on the small roads; its much more posh and manicured then PA. I noticed too, that we have a lot of PA people in our state looking for something called jobs.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:05 AM

187 posts, read 128,423 times
Maryland and Virginia have one of the best employment rates, one of the best minimum wage amounts, excellent scenery, very safe areas.

A lot of people move to Maryland from different states and countries.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:37 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
I'm in PA a bit , and don't see anything "groovy" about it, but depressing comes to mind. Crossing over from PA to MD out near DCL , and then I see signs again on the small roads; its much more posh and manicured then PA. I noticed too, that we have a lot of PA people in our state looking for something called jobs.
Tiger Beer is on a spaceship. I can't figure out where he came up with the BS he came up with.
I'll bet he came down 95 from Philly, somehow amazingly didn't notice the difference, and road right into a meh area of Baltimore and made some bizarre assumption about the entire area. Lazy, some of us have discussed it on here before.
Let him drive up 83 from northern Baltimore county, and tell us how much nicer it is once in PA........
And he needs to look up more recent data. I guess to him states with high senior populations are nicer? Do you think well off seniors aren't paying for places in choice areas in California, or Florida. The not so well off may stay in PA......
Anyway a recent Map...

Pretty funny, I worked with a goofy (This guy was a goofball!) and he laughingly called Maryland a dump, but the moron came down here for not one, but two jobs.

Last edited by Digger 68; 06-24-2018 at 05:59 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 03:52 PM

265 posts, read 509,252 times
Crabs
Crime
O's
Ravens

Old 06-28-2018, 04:00 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
I think of Lacrosse, DC and Baltimore suburbs that is it and a cool state flag.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:01 PM

19 posts, read 15,076 times
Eclectic, confusing, and sometimes hard to understand. Maryland is a whirlpool of 'types'.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:55 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
For the OP: Old Bay!
Whenever I give people gifts from MD, I try to give them Old Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland