U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:28 AM

791 posts, read 1,594,229 times

Advertisements

To that latest list, I would add the following:

- the 4.3 mile long Chesapeake Bay Bridge - familiar to most people throughout the State

- the prep high school and college game of "Lacrosse". The world's largest Lacrosse store being in Towson, MD at Kenilworth Mall

- the very distinctive, colorful state Flag

- on the Eastern Shore (Delmarva): enormous mechanized chicken-farms

- Baltimore's countless miles of linked row-houses (of brick or flagstone), uniformly with their famous white marble steps, made from local quarries. (see the opening scene of the 2007 movie "Hairspray")

Last edited by slowlane; 11-27-2010 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:21 AM

3,151 posts, read 4,416,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Actually the Puritans in colonial Maryland were so numerous that they were able to seize control of the colony in 1650... which was notable since they repealed the Toleration Act and thus MD's status as a Catholic haven.
The Puritans were ousted from control by 1658 and the Toleration Act was reinstated by the Calverts.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:59 AM

2,603 posts, read 1,505,980 times
Having grown up in southeastern PA near the Maryland line Oxford/Rising Sun I love MD!! The Chesapeake Bay is unreal, for flounder fishing, duck hunting, and all kinds of fun water activities.

The #1 toughest SOB hunting dog was born here "The Chesapeake Bay Retriever". Cheasapeake City, I dare to anyone to find an equal anywhere. Canal Day on the C&D canal wow!!!!! My favorite trip of the year. I'll take the Aquarium in Baltimore any day over risking my life in Camden.

When I think of Marylanders I think of Chester Doles........ Kidding. my father in law is from Chestertown and we visit his family there and in Northeast every year. Tough, gritty, hard working people that I have the utmost respect for. Same for sports, when we played Elkton or Rising Sun in anything it was a fight, not like playing some private school or rich area public school.

Maryland is one of the few states that have the best of everything that this country can offer.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:51 AM

356 posts, read 454,791 times
Having lived in the great-lakes area my whole life and only recently moving to MD, I can say:

1. Crabs (never eaten one and don't hope to)
2. Old Bay (what the heck is that?? ppl put it on everything down here....)
3. Crime (can't tell you how many ppl couldn't believe it when I told them where I was moving, also many jokes of "i know what to get you for Christmas now")
4. Government and Gov't spending/corruption
5. The south, since it's just below the Mason-Dixon line

Reading through these comments I see a lot of "it depends where you're talking about", well that's true of every state. No stereotype is going to be true of an entire state.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:40 PM

3,151 posts, read 4,416,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
e

Reading through these comments I see a lot of "it depends where you're talking about", well that's true of every state. No stereotype is going to be true of an entire state.
Many states have a common identity that trumps regional difference. A Texan is a Texan from the Red River to the Rio Grande. A West Virginian is a West Virginian and claim a commonality whether they live in Wheeling or Martinsburg.

Maryland isn't like that, your regional identity, be it D.C., Baltimore, Eastern Shore, Western Maryland or other trumps the shared heritage of our cool flag and tasty seafood.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM

13,013 posts, read 19,886,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Many states have a common identity that trumps regional difference. A Texan is a Texan from the Red River to the Rio Grande. A West Virginian is a West Virginian and claim a commonality whether they live in Wheeling or Martinsburg.

Maryland isn't like that, your regional identity, be it D.C., Baltimore, Eastern Shore, Western Maryland or other trumps the shared heritage of our cool flag and tasty seafood.
Makes sense - Michigan same way - Great Lakes everywhere, and throughout the entire state (or 95% of it), the Detroit News goes throughout, and nearly everyone follows ALL the Detroit teams religiously (a few buck the trend near Chicago and up in the Upper Penninsula near Wisconsin)..but generally, very well-defined MI person is a MI person with all MI things.

I can think of a few states that have dual identities - California, New Jersey. But still, they seem more or less cohesive from an outsider point-of-view.

But Maryland...yeah, not so much at all! I'm envisioning more and more as a patchwork, more than anything.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM

7,525 posts, read 9,624,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Makes sense - Michigan same way - Great Lakes everywhere, and throughout the entire state (or 95% of it), the Detroit News goes throughout, and nearly everyone follows ALL the Detroit teams religiously (a few buck the trend near Chicago and up in the Upper Penninsula near Wisconsin)..but generally, very well-defined MI person is a MI person with all MI things.
I'm not sure if that's true. MI has Yoopers who are a bit different from those from Southeast MI. West Michiganders are also a bit different from those in Southeast MI as well. I know this from growing up in Metro Detroit, and living a few years between K'Zoo and Grand Rapids, and having my mothers family being from the U.P. The differences may not be as great as what exists in Maryland, but they are there.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 PM

13,013 posts, read 19,886,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm not sure if that's true. MI has Yoopers who are a bit different from those from Southeast MI. West Michiganders are also a bit different from those in Southeast MI as well. I know this from growing up in Metro Detroit, and living a few years between K'Zoo and Grand Rapids, and having my mothers family being from the U.P. The differences may not be as great as what exists in Maryland, but they are there.
True. Just seems more varied in Maryland though - mountains, that peninsula region, working class baltimore, and then dc suburbs.

I grew up all over rural Michigan including the Upper Peninsula...and I saw more similarities. Where I saw the big difference was between Metro Detroit and the rest of the state. That being said, I think almost all Metro regions are really different from the rest of their state. MD just happens to have two drastically different metro regions.

The Yoopers are quite a bit different and unique though, especially in speaking. But their interest are quite similar to most everyone else who lives, say, north of Lansing.

But yeah, no doubt there are differences...just like people in Texas, despite being very Texan, would see drastic differences between Austin vs El Paso vs Houson vs Dallas vs rest of the state, no doubt. They would all quickly rally behind the idea of being Texan, and probably assume that each one of them represents Texas very well in its own right.

Just a strong sense of identity tied to being from their state...it seems. It seems like for Marylanders, it is just too easy to cross a state line.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:15 PM

791 posts, read 1,594,229 times
MD is the only state where some bowling alleys still offer "duckpin" lanes (smaller pins, with balls about half the size of standard balls). "Maryland Life" magazine did an article about this.

I agree with what the OP said, that the central MD corridor (where most of our population lives) is very much like New Jersey. Central MD's housing/infrastructure may average slightly newer than NJ's, and central MD has no blue-collar industry (except for along the Baltimore waterfront).

Last edited by slowlane; 11-29-2010 at 10:31 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 01:20 PM

356 posts, read 454,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
MD is the only state where some bowling alleys still offer "duckpin" lanes (smaller pins, with balls about half the size of standard balls). "Maryland Life" magazine did an article about this.

I agree with what the OP said, that the central MD corridor (where most of our population lives) is very much like New Jersey. Central MD's housing/infrastructure may average slightly newer than NJ's, and central MD has no blue-collar industry (except for along the Baltimore waterfront).

No it's not. They still have them in Pennsylvania too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland