U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:05 AM

15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times

Advertisements

What is MARYLAND known for?

It's always one of those states that just seems overlooked. I've never heard anyone say 'I really want to move to MARYLAND'.

I've met a few people from Maryland, but I could never really pigeonhole them, like you can if someone says they are from Texas or New Jersey or somewhere like that. It draws a blank, when I try to think of Maryland characteristics...

When I think of BALTIMORE, I don't automatically associate MARYLAND either. They seem like two different images that come to mind. Do others associate them closely together, or is there a disconnect between the two as well?

So, what is Maryland known for? What are characteristics of Marylanders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 08:22 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,725,881 times
so we're hard to stereotype then?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:50 AM

15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
so we're hard to stereotype then?
Yes!

Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 AM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Maryland is known for crabs, definitely crabs.

But seriously, I think because Maryland is such a varied place and has had such a diverse history, it's hard to pigeonhole it.

Baltimore is an industrial city and a major port. Annapolis is maritime, as is much of the Chesapeake Bay area. The Washington, D.C. suburbs of Maryland have strong ties to that city. Western Maryland is a part of Appalachia. There are also lots of farms and wineries all over Maryland. Then you have the Atlantic coast.

Overall, the majority of Marylanders are associated with the Washington, D.C. - Baltimore metropolitan area. Still, the question is - which part of Maryland and which Marylanders are we talking about?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-07-2010 at 11:43 AM..

Old 11-07-2010, 02:07 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times
No such thing as a typical 'Marylander.' Each region has its own characteristics. Most natives will ID themselves with a regional label like "Eastern Shore" or "Western Maryland." When two Marylanders meet, the next question is always, "what county?"

Old 11-08-2010, 05:42 AM

3,043 posts, read 2,882,659 times
Maryland has a bit of everything, from mountains in the west to the beaches on the east coast; small rural towns with historic character to large cities and suburban sprawl. Although Maryland is heavily democratic in voting, there are plenty of more conservative areas in the southern and western areas of the state. Maryland has 4 true season changes with cold winters and hot humid summers. People are diverse; d.c. and Montgomery County have a rich cultural religous diversity; other rural areas remain relatively unchanged in ethnic and cultural make up from 50 years prior. You can find just about whatever you are looking for in some area of Maryland. Not that it is without its faults but Maryland has more to offer in terms of variety than a lot of other states. Job opportunities are better here than most places. It just depends what you are looking for.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:38 PM

396 posts, read 929,161 times
What is Maryland known for?
Crabs and Crime.
Democrats and Diversity.

A small state (in land area) which is divided culturally, geographically, and politically.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:14 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
The U.S. national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner," was written in Maryland by a Marylander.

The present territory of Washington, D.C. was carved completely out of Maryland.

Baltimore was the second U.S. city, after New York City, to reach a population of 100,000.

Maryland was the most important border state during the Civil War.

Much of Maryland encloses the Chesapeake Bay, the largest bay and estuary in the U.S.

Maryland is one of the most affluent states and currently has the highest median household income of all U.S. states.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 60,996 times
Crabs.
Old Bay (which is a seasoning commonly put on crabs, as well as just about everything else)
Murder (Baltimore)

Characteristics of Marylanders:
Love watching football (Baltimore Ravens)
Go to Ocean City, md EVERY SINGLE summer for vacation
Either listen to country music or rap music or pop music. (very hard to find any modern rock on the radio)
Love thier state flag, it shows up everywhere. I lived in PA just as long as I have lived in MD, and I can't even tell you what the Pa state flag looks like. But I see the MD flag at least ten times a day, on houses/buildings/TV. Just a random thing I've noticed about this place.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 PM

791 posts, read 2,382,146 times
So many state flags look similar, many of them have the same similar dark blue background with some design or emblem in the middle in a round frame. Others have a variation of the national flag (like the OH, TX, and TN flags).

Maryland's flag is unique, it really stands out with its checkerboard pattern, it really draws your attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland