U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM

5 posts, read 12,537 times

Advertisements

We are moving to MD probably in June for my husbands job. (from Fort Monomouth, NJ) We have been looking into Rising Sun, Elkton area. We have four little kids ages 7,7, 5 and 4. We also have three older kids 20, 18 and 16 but are not moving with us. Just wondering what people's thoughts are. How are the schools in the area. We did visit Calbert Elementary and met the prinicipal and he gave us a tour and we were quite happy with the school. Any advice would be great! Thanks! We are planning a trip down there next week to look around some more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,733,488 times
Davidtanya, do a search in some of the other posts. There are a lot of BRAC people asking very similar questions, so maybe you can find some answers in their posts. Good luck and welcome!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 PM

19 posts, read 34,228 times
Default Welcome

We are moving from Central Jersey to Port Deposit - hubby has to be here in March but we bought a house and closing in Dec. so we will try to get here earlier. Thankfully all my kids are grown and done with school. I have my 24 yr old going with us but I am not sure she is going to like the area... too rural for her. But it is a change of pace for us especially coming from Central Jersey - Exit 11 to Port Deposit - nice quiet area. Good luck in house hunting!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:35 AM

39 posts, read 92,942 times
Default Check out the Elk NEck Elementary Area

We moved from the NJ area as well down here to MD and moved very close to Elk Neck Elementary school. I would encourage you to meet with Principal Turner (as we did before the move) as he, the staff, and the school are all quite impressive. If you were to look at any of the 20 or so developments off Old Field Point Road, they are almost all family friendly and you can find a nice home for every budget from mid/high 200's to multi-million dollar waterfront homes. It is a wonderful area for kids and my two (ages 5 and 7) are thriving here since the move.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:20 PM

6 posts, read 10,447 times
Check out Cecil County. North East is a nice area. Cecil County has great public/private schools. The houses are not over inflated like some areas in Harford county. The taxes/crime are less than Harford. There are some great new home communites in Cecil. My husband and I just bought a new home on 3 acres. New construction. Check out North East!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:26 PM

74 posts, read 219,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watergirl1989 View Post
Check out Cecil County. North East is a nice area. Cecil County has great public/private schools. The houses are not over inflated like some areas in Harford county. The taxes/crime are less than Harford. There are some great new home communites in Cecil. My husband and I just bought a new home on 3 acres. New construction. Check out North East!
Cecil County has it's crime.... having grown up in Bel Air, I can assure you of that. The crime statistics along the Route 40 corridor are because of the typical petty stuff that accompanies any military installation. Ft. Bragg and many other civilian areas along side a military reservation suffer the same ill-effect.

Bel Air is NOT what is was twenty years ago... it's grown to almost be like Timonium but without an adequate road system.... though the Bel Air By-pass is once again under construction to APG-EA in an attempt to fix that.

Cecil County is growing, Harford County is nice too. All depends on what you want to do in your leisure, etc.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:08 PM

377 posts, read 972,412 times
Cecil County has great public schools?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:17 PM

60 posts, read 97,249 times
and the Klan..

Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,873 times
Don't know if you moved yet, but Cecil County does have crime and the KKK (in rising sun). We live in Oxford PA, just north of MD and it is totally different! Schools are fantastic... some of the best in the country in PA and closer to philly and great spots like west chester, etc.. It is definitely worth your time and we have lots of apg folks living here!!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:44 AM

377 posts, read 972,412 times
I moved here with Brac and like many other people did not want to move. We moved to Delaware, but whether we had moved to Md, De, or Pa nothing is like NJ and nothing would have made me fully happy. We made the best decision for our family, no regrets on that. We had to move, there were no other choices. Now this being said I am so blessed with how welcoming most people in these areas have been to us. It was a hard move, but because of all the kindness and help even on this forum, it has made it a lot easier. Jason is the first person to say anything negative about Brac people. I would like to say Thank you to all of you Md, De, and Pa residents that were so nice to us as we moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland