U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 07:19 PM

22 posts, read 75,301 times

Advertisements

Thanks. It's just hard to decide.....too much info to disgest in a short time. Between finding great schools for my son and commuting to DC for work it will be a challange.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:20 PM

304 posts, read 568,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassis View Post
How overcrowded would be the areas of Rockville or North Potomac? I'm coming from Los Angeles.
If you're looking at the Rockville area... there's Thomas S. Wootton High School, Rockville High School, Richard Montgomery High School, Col Zadok Magruder High School. Wootton and Montgomery consistently rank amongst the top high schools in the nation. Wootton ranks as the best high school in the nation and I believe Wootton is in the top 5% of high schools, in the entire country.

North Potomac has Albert Einstein High School, Winston Churchill High School, and possibly Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and Walt Whitman. Again, all of these high schools rank amongst the best in Maryland and also the nation. Whitman is one of the best in MoCo. Actually, I believe Whitman is in the top 3 in the county.

As others have posted, MoCo schools have a decent magnet schools program. MoCo has expanded the programs significantly in the last decade. Their magnet programs weren't that large a decade ago. Also unique to MoCo schools, some high schools are part of "consortiums". There's anywhere from three to five high schools per consortium. In these consortiums, students aren't assigned to high schools based on attendance area like in most other districts. Instead, each high school offers a "signature program" and several "academy programs". Students choose one of the 3-6 high schools they want to attend, based on what signature program or academy program they are interested in. I don't think there's a consortium in the Rockville or Potomac area, so your child would be assigned to his/her high school based on their attendance area.

You should really visit the MoCo schools website to answer a lot of the questions you're asking. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Khemistry; 11-15-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 AM

22 posts, read 75,301 times
I really apreciate all of your replies.

Thanks

Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,215,541 times
I believe according to several websites HC is better than MC, but both are good.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:41 AM

304 posts, read 568,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I believe according to several websites HC is better than MC, but both are good.
What are these websites??? Every credible source I've ever heard has always ranked Montgomery as the highest performing system in Maryland. And I'm talking about GreatSchools.net. I'm talking about Newsweek and The Washington Post and EducationWeek.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:25 AM

12,555 posts, read 18,931,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
North Potomac has Albert Einstein High School, Winston Churchill High School, and possibly Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and Walt Whitman.
People who live in NORTH Potomac go to Quince Orchard and Wooton(sp?), I believe. The schools you list are either in plain old Potomac or Bethesda or North Bethesda aren't they?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:56 AM

3,911 posts, read 7,545,520 times
Churchill is Potomac, Whitman is Bethesda/Potomac, Einstein is over by Kensington/Wheaton area, Wootton is Potomac/N.Potomac/Rockville.

Montgomery County has traditionally been among the top rated system in the country. However, in the last 15 or so years, the neighboring counties are catching up. This is why Howard is also up there now. Its basically improving at a faster rate than MoCo.

Both Howard and MoCO have very strong schools, and the best of them will swap places on the various polls from year to year.

MoCO is a much bigger county and being closer to DC, more of it is urbanized. Howard is more rural in comparaison, the eastern portion being the more developed area with Columbia and laurel (hence MoCo feeling more overcrowded).

In terms of cost of living. I grew up in MoCo (Whitman grad - go vikes!) and now live in Ellicott City. The two are comparable. Real estate is pricier in MoCo, but property tax is a tad higher in HoCO from what I've experienced.

All in all, the two are very comparable. You can't really go wrong (especially when compared to cali schools ;-)). Since you will be working in DC - and with one of the worst traffic/commutes in the nation, you probably will want to go MoCo. But the areas with the better known schools (Whitman/Churchill/Wootton) will cost you in terms of real estate.

Just my .02.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:12 PM

23 posts, read 74,436 times
Like someone mentioned, the main difference is that Montgomery Cty has magnet schools so if you have multiple kids, they may go to different schools when they get older (and the logistics with that). Montgomery also has IB programs and Howard does not. Howard is location-based which one thinks would bring stability but redistricting sometimes shifts students from one school to another. Both are fine, we sent our son to Glenelg Country School (in Howard but near Montgomery) because of our experience with the bureaucracy and CYA we experienced at Howard (and I don't expect it to be any better in Montgomery, systematic of public schools in general). So if you have the financial means, don't overlook private schools near you.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:03 PM

350 posts, read 973,879 times
I advise you to choose an area with the shortest commute to work. The schools in the area you mentioned will be very good. There would be no advantage to going further away.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:18 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
What are these websites??? Every credible source I've ever heard has always ranked Montgomery as the highest performing system in Maryland. And I'm talking about GreatSchools.net. I'm talking about Newsweek and The Washington Post and EducationWeek.
schooldigger.com has Howard County Schools listed higher than MC and they based their ratings on test scores. Howard County wikipedia page also says HC usually ranks first testing and graduation rates. The graduation rate you can find here. Not saying MC is bad but facts are facts, HC is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or