U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,603 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in DE and may be getting a job offer in Elkride MD. I am currently married with 2 boys (4 & 2). My wife and I are looking for an area within 30 miles of Elkridge that is a good place to raise a family with good schools, close to restaurants, shopping, parks, etc..

Our budget will probably be in the 300K range for a house.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:20 AM

156 posts, read 369,798 times
Elkridge itself is a very desireable area. Look at homes in your price range on realtor.com or homesdatabase.com and then use schooldigger.com to see ratings on the schools your children would attend if you buy a particular home. There is a website to check crime rate also but I don't know that one. Good luck and have fun house hunting!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:24 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,749,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonna2trips View Post
Elkridge itself is a very desireable area. Look at homes in your price range on realtor.com or homesdatabase.com and then use schooldigger.com to see ratings on the schools your children would attend if you buy a particular home. There is a website to check crime rate also but I don't know that one. Good luck and have fun house hunting!
If it's suburban life you're looking for I too think you need to look no further than Elkridge, it sounds good for you. As for parks, Elkridge is right near the massive and beautiful Patpsco Valley State Park, a real bonus.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM

54 posts, read 145,133 times
If you want to go a little farther out... Sykesville/Eldersburg in Carroll County is a great choice. Excellent schools, very family friendly, lower cost than most of Howard County, very low crime, very high quality of life! It's about a 30 minute commute to Elkridge.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:44 PM

350 posts, read 975,776 times
Look into Elkridge itself first. Or eastern Ellicott City. They run into each other. There has been a lot of new residential construction there in recent years, and Columbia/EC shopping and restaurants are very convenient, as well as sports and activities for kids. Lots of young families. If you're interested in a single family home, that's going to be hard to find for 300k, even if you go 30 minutes away. But you could find a large townhome in an area of good schools for the low 300s. I would stick to areas west of Route 1, off of Rt 103 or Meadowridge. Check out Lyndwood. The further west you go, the more expensive the homes will be. Elkridge is one of the more affordable areas in the county.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 AM

195 posts, read 657,329 times
Suggestion: First find the location that you desire - research, driving through the neighborhoods and cities to really get a feel for the area. In regards to schools you - you can visit the schools and speak with the principals. Once you've narrowed that down, then you search for the home in that location. As someone suggested, you can go on home based websites to research pricing in those areas.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,774 times
I am also moving to MD. We are looking for the same, but just to rent right now, then look around an buy. To get to the point I have been looking at this great site that i found by pure chance.. hotpads , i really love this site hotpads, because it give me locations of all the schools, a heat map of income levels, population, private schools, public schools crime, median age, what is for sell or to rent,ect.. let me see if i can take a pic.. Yes got it.. I hope this helps, I am actively looking for something for my kids an something peaceful, with the city near. I was looking at ellicot, an columbia, but i am so unsure. Oh well I guess i should not hijack your thread, let me start my own..lol ...Goodluck keep us up to date, I hope this helps..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland