U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:16 PM

63 posts, read 265,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That being said, I haven't met many northerners who want to move to Maryland .
There are a lot of people from NY, NJ, and PA in MD, especially NY'ers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:30 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,460,058 times
I live in Eastern Shore now and there is no good paying jobs there. I was working in DC and travelling back and forth from the Eastern Shore until my employer thought it was a long ride for me every day and let me go even though I never was late. So I'm looking for another job in the DC area because really MD doesn't have good paying jobs but DC does.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:33 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,103,824 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Sorry kid you can't judge Maryland's population based on bad comments on this site because 95% of the Bad Comments about Maryland are coming from Maryland Hating Bigots that have NEVER Paid Maryland Taxes and never stepped foot into the state of Maryland.........
/QUOTE]

This is true. I've seen in DC/VA forums. Most talk badly about MD, but don't and won't travel and stop into Maryland.

In the DC forum it's always someone asking questions about Maryland. I point him/her to the MD forum. Hey stupid, why are you asking questions about Maryland in DC forum.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:45 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,252,008 times
Well I've lived in Maryland pretty much all my life AND go to its flagship university, so I definitely am not a 'Maryland hating bigot.'

I just don't have a blind allegiance to the state.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:12 PM

33,970 posts, read 32,424,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Many people like leaving Maryland ,but

It has the highest income in the nation.
It is near from DC

Thoughts
Maryland has a lot of federal employees in Headquarters offices that came from other states for a promotion. You know, they first worked in field offices and now they're in headquarters. By the time they get to headquarters they are typically past the halfway mark in their career. Because it is expensive to live in Maryland, when it's time to retire they move to a cheaper state or they "go home" to the state from which they came. My observation from when I lived there is that Maryland is very transient.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:41 PM

15,689 posts, read 18,253,080 times
Maryland is a great place to live, especially central Maryland. You have easy access to Washington DC, Baltimore, Annapolis and most of the other suburbs in the entire region. The Chesapeake Bay is about 40 minutes away. The mountains are about an hour away. There are three major airports within reach. I think the high cost of living and demand in this area is understandable.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:36 AM

326 posts, read 572,166 times
I am originally from MD and 7 years ago moved to upstate NY. For the first several years, I would have moved back to MD in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. I never thought I'd leave in the first place. Now that I have children in school though and have lived here longer, I am sad that there is a possibility we might have to move back to MD. It is safe here...you never see police in the neighborhood unless they are giving out "good tickets" for free ice cream to the kids to praise them for wearing their helmets. Traffic can get slow, especially on a Friday night with people heading to the lake, but it is NEVER like it is in MD. People generally seem like safer drivers and our schools are amazing.

I've had people tell me that I can find all those things in MD, but like I said, I grew up there and I can't think of a small town with safe neighborhoods and great schools where I don't have to get on 95 or 695 much would be.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:02 AM

358 posts, read 712,029 times
coming from the great-lakes region, traffic sucks, you have to plan out which stop to take (unlike PA which has a gas-station/food area at every exit practically), very few real towns, it's more like one giant suburb of DC/Baltimore, an odd fixation with crabs and old bay, traffic, traffic, traffic, high crime, and even higher taxes. Not to mention a high COL across the board. I'm also not impressed with the large # of chain restaurants and miniscule # of local options.

I say this, but realize many ppl who leave Maryland will have similar comments to mine about every other possible local. Especially the food comments.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:59 PM

905 posts, read 2,218,724 times
My biggest issue with MD is how hard it is for people trying to make it... I was born and raised in MD and moved out when I was 18... I was working as a software developer for a defense contractor so I was doing better than most my age... I couldn't even afford to live in the place where I had grown up...

There are just a serious lack of affordable housing options... You have lots of young people with high level degrees or a few years experience and they just can't command the salaries required to live comfortably in MD... You have young professionals living like college kids because there is just nowhere affordable to live... In FL where I moved 3 people working in fast food can afford a decent townhouse together...

There are also high paying jobs where the salary doesn't differ that much... When I moved to FL the average salary difference for a software developer was 5k/yr, that hardly makes up for the COL in MD...

MD definitely has its advantages though... The job market for my field is outstanding and I constantly see jobs pop up that I know I would qualify for... I am also thankful for the amount of culture I was exposed to growing up that seems to be years behind in the south...

Old 11-29-2010, 03:11 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,505,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
I'm also not impressed with the large # of chain restaurants and miniscule # of local options.

I say this, but realize many ppl who leave Maryland will have similar comments to mine about every other possible local. Especially the food comments.
If you can't find good local restaurants in the Baltimore/greater MD area, you simply never bothered to actually look. I'm serious. from places like Ale Mary's or Bertha's in downtown Baltimore, to Rocket to Venus or Holy Frijole's in Hamden, to Ethel & Ramone's in Mt Washington, to thousands of others across the state, finding good local restaruants is easy, though it DOES take more than staying on a main strip and looking for big neon signs...

I'm in Pikesville, and there are a lot of affordable living options around, from decent houses that don't cost much in good neighborhoods with excellent county schools, lots of food choices and even entertainment options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or