U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:37 PM

15,665 posts, read 18,217,507 times

Advertisements

C'mon people. Google is your friend.

100 Very Best Restaurants

Best Restaurants 2010 | Baltimore magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 PM

358 posts, read 711,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
If you can't find good local restaurants in the Baltimore/greater MD area, you simply never bothered to actually look. I'm serious. from places like Ale Mary's or Bertha's in downtown Baltimore, to Rocket to Venus or Holy Frijole's in Hamden, to Ethel & Ramone's in Mt Washington, to thousands of others across the state, finding good local restaruants is easy, though it DOES take more than staying on a main strip and looking for big neon signs...

I'm in Pikesville, and there are a lot of affordable living options around, from decent houses that don't cost much in good neighborhoods with excellent county schools, lots of food choices and even entertainment options.
That's a large area to cover. I like to have excellent options within 15 minutes of me, or less. Call me spoiled, but I don't like to drive 30 minutes or more for dinner.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:23 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
That's a large area to cover. I like to have excellent options within 15 minutes of me, or less. Call me spoiled, but I don't like to drive 30 minutes or more for dinner.
You said Maryland in general, not your specific area. If I knew your specific area, I could have given you similar result within 10 minutes of YOU.

Since I'm IN MD, and the places I mentioned are within 10-15 minutes of ME, then your claim that "people who leave MARYLAND (not your specific 10 minute circle) will say the same thing about food" is very likely hyperbole AT BEST. I can list out a whole LOT of good food that is within WALKING distance of me here in Pikesville, a whole load that were within walking distance when I was living downtown in Canton, and within a very short time could find some close to pretty much any point in the state.

I spent my first 36 years living in the Seattle area, and moved here to MD 11 years ago. And I have had NO problem finding all sorts of good local food.

Maybe you're just lazy and non-observant.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:33 PM

358 posts, read 711,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
You said Maryland in general, not your specific area. If I knew your specific area, I could have given you similar result within 10 minutes of YOU.

Since I'm IN MD, and the places I mentioned are within 10-15 minutes of ME, then your claim that "people who leave MARYLAND (not your specific 10 minute circle) will say the same thing about food" is very likely hyperbole AT BEST. I can list out a whole LOT of good food that is within WALKING distance of me here in Pikesville, a whole load that were within walking distance when I was living downtown in Canton, and within a very short time could find some close to pretty much any point in the state.

I spent my first 36 years living in the Seattle area, and moved here to MD 11 years ago. And I have had NO problem finding all sorts of good local food.

Maybe you're just lazy and non-observant.
I was in Columbia for the last year, and all the local places I found to eat were much more than 10-15 minutes away. Even the chain restaurants were a 10 minute drive. I've since moved to downtown Baltimore in the past month and I much prefer it. Lots of good little places. Maybe I missed something in Columbia, but I don't think so. Reminded me very much of the Stepford Wives movie. As a place that's often touted as "one of the best places to live in the US" I just don't see why.

As for observant, it's fairly impossible to see where anything is in Columbia.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
As for observant, it's fairly impossible to see where anything is in Columbia.
Observant also means using more than just your eyes as you drive around. You look into magazines like Baltimore, or others, or check with local merchants (and for restaurants, ask at your local wine merchants shop specifically). One of my favorite restaurants is just outside Columbia, called bistro blanc. Bistro Blanc Restaurant, Wine Lounge, and Merchant

Last edited by Merc63; 11-30-2010 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 02:51 PM

I guess the point is, there are a lot of things that people can legitimately gripe about in MD. But finding good food locally is definitely NOT one of them.

And also remember this, Columbia is a planned community, a manufacturerd town, It does not really represent MD in general, or even the Baltimore region.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM

326 posts, read 571,501 times
Wasn't Pikesville affected by a couple of water outages earlier this year where the residents were without water for ridiculous periods of time? Or was that just Reisterstown?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:22 PM

32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times
One thing I didn't mention, and the reason many retirees leave the state, is that MD taxes pensions/retired pay.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isis297 View Post
Wasn't Pikesville affected by a couple of water outages earlier this year where the residents were without water for ridiculous periods of time? Or was that just Reisterstown?
Not sure. The only time I've been out of water in the last decade was when we were putting in a new main waterline from the city water vault by the street to the house and the city guy broke the old meter, so we were without water for a couple days until it got fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or