Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:37 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,383,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
I've never heard Maryland being unpopular. I think Maryland is a decent state. It does have a lot to offer. What you will see is depending on which income level a person is will depend on the answer. That in and of it's self is a problem. I would say 10-15 years ago there would be no problem with spitting out the reasons for living in MD. However MD is coming up with it's own reasons to live somewhere else.

Is it as bad as I'm making it sound, no. It's just I've seen the change and I'm generally not happy with where the state is going. To me it's just another New Jersey, with slightly lower taxes.
It is obvious that you haven't been around people from Virginia and North/South Carolina that think that Maryland is an undesirable state............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
living in South with a low salary but low taxes or living in MD for example with high salary,high taxes.I know that is an other debate,but some folks are thinking about that
Maryland is in the South............

Old 11-26-2010, 08:28 AM

512 posts, read 1,630,022 times
Hmmm.... I've got kinfolk down in North Carolina. They actually don't want to live in any city bigger than Charlotte. I know tons of people are relocating from here to NC and SC So I guess you've got a point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
It is obvious that you haven't been around people from Virginia and North/South Carolina that think that Maryland is an undesirable state............

Old 11-26-2010, 08:39 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,976,838 times
I've generally never heard of any southerner who seriously wanted to leave the south. Unless they somehow thought of themselves as very northern in some way. Which isn't the norm.

That being said, I haven't met many northerners who want to move to Maryland either...if they are moving southward, they want to reach much warmer climates.

All that being said, I don't think any of that makes Maryland undesireable whatsoever. I think its just basically off people's radar on most all accounts.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:17 PM

9 posts, read 16,638 times
Maryland. Geographically a Southern State with a Northern attitude. I travel through out the US and I can tell you that Maryland is not a part of the South. We are kind of stuck in Purgatory. People from the Northeast consider us rebels. People from Richmond, VA. southward, consider us Yankees.
There are basically 5 regions to Maryland. The Western Panhandle, Baltimore Metro, DC Metro, Southern MD. and the Eastern Shore. Each region has it's own culture, accents and heritage, which makes it hard to pin point any one person as a Marylander.
Maryland is a beautiful state but the liberal state of politics has driven out many large companies and kept many more from locating here, due to this states desire to impose high taxes on them and the average working family, hence, the rapid growth of industry and hi-tech companies across the Potomac River in Northern VA.
Maryland's reputation as a high income populated state is due to the expansion of the federal government, nothing more. The big businesses that are relocating to this area are going to tax friendly Northern VA. where the quality of living, education and transportation are years ahead of Maryland.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Hmmm.... I've got kinfolk down in North Carolina. They actually don't want to live in any city bigger than Charlotte. I know tons of people are relocating from here to NC and SC So I guess you've got a point.
From my experience dealing with North/South Carolina folx is that they will choose to travel/spend money/sight see Virginia instead of Maryland whenever they are in the DC area.... And most of them preferred to relocate to Virginia instead of Maryland when having to choose which DC suburb to to reside.......

Old 11-27-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've generally never heard of any southerner who seriously wanted to leave the south. Unless they somehow thought of themselves as very northern in some way. Which isn't the norm.

That being said, I haven't met many northerners who want to move to Maryland either...if they are moving southward, they want to reach much warmer climates.

All that being said, I don't think any of that makes Maryland undesireable whatsoever. I think its just basically off people's radar on most all accounts.
Um... Thats just your experience........

Old 11-27-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdbluecrab55 View Post
Maryland. Geographically a Southern State with a Northern attitude. I travel through out the US and I can tell you that Maryland is not a part of the South. We are kind of stuck in Purgatory. People from the Northeast consider us rebels. People from Richmond, VA. southward, consider us Yankees.
There are basically 5 regions to Maryland. The Western Panhandle, Baltimore Metro, DC Metro, Southern MD. and the Eastern Shore. Each region has it's own culture, accents and heritage, which makes it hard to pin point any one person as a Marylander.
Maryland is a beautiful state but the liberal state of politics has driven out many large companies and kept many more from locating here, due to this states desire to impose high taxes on them and the average working family, hence, the rapid growth of industry and hi-tech companies across the Potomac River in Northern VA.
Maryland's reputation as a high income populated state is due to the expansion of the federal government, nothing more. The big businesses that are relocating to this area are going to tax friendly Northern VA. where the quality of living, education and transportation are years ahead of Maryland.
And who's fault was it for Martin O'Malley to get re-elected????????????

Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 AM

9 posts, read 16,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And who's fault was it for Martin O'Malley to get re-elected????????????
The voters of Maryland. I could get into the nuts and bolts of why this happens every 4 years but that would just create more controversy on this thread, something that I really don't want to argue about right now, Anybody familiar with the demographics of this state and how they redistrict the voting areas, can clearly see why the same idiots keep getting re-elected.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:09 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,644,882 times
Man, take-home pay for $50,000/year as a single person is a fair bit better in DC and VA than in MD. If I'm around here after graduation, I think I'll live in either DC or VA... I've got plenty of Maryland pride, I guess, but I don't want to pay huge taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland