U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:42 PM

10,263 posts, read 10,007,423 times

Advertisements

Many people like leaving Maryland ,but

It has the highest income in the nation.
It is near from DC

Thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 03:18 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
High taxes, especially state income tax which gets a piggyback of up to 50% added by the County of residence.
Traffic.
Depending on where, high crime and marginal or worse schools.
Unrealistically high housing costs for what is received.
High energy costs for electricity.
Down the road and not common knowledge yet: much higher costs across the board when the new State planning guidelines are adopted in the next couple years.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,234,904 times
^^^This, and the State doesn't do a good job of attracting jobs.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:03 PM

15,688 posts, read 34,684,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post

It is near from DC

Thoughts
Don't know that it is unpopular though.

I think that people are just upset about the high cost of living. If you have the higher incomes, I would imagine it would be great.

Kind of like California. If you have the money, there is nowhere better to be. But if you don't have the money, there is nowhere worse to be. Not easy to SEE everything you could possibly want and dream in front of you day in and day out, but completely unable to attain them.

My take on Maryland is they can just cross a state line and attain what they can't attain in Maryland, so hence the 'issue'. (Not everyone, just the people who are giving you the impression that Maryland is unpopular).

As for me, Maryland looks good. Proximity to good jobs, diverse terrain, very acceptable climate, and some interesting cities.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:13 PM

512 posts, read 1,398,301 times
I've never heard Maryland being unpopular. I think Maryland is a decent state. It does have a lot to offer. What you will see is depending on which income level a person is will depend on the answer. That in and of it's self is a problem. I would say 10-15 years ago there would be no problem with spitting out the reasons for living in MD. However MD is coming up with it's own reasons to live somewhere else.

Is it as bad as I'm making it sound, no. It's just I've seen the change and I'm generally not happy with where the state is going. To me it's just another New Jersey, with slightly lower taxes.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,762 times
wow thank you all for your take, i am debating between having our family in VA or MD, because my husband job in in MD {soon}, but VA seems to have more options of schools, an homes.. Interesting, would love to hear more peoples thoughts.. Thank you again for the topic

Old 11-25-2010, 11:07 AM

10,263 posts, read 10,007,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Don't know that it is unpopular though.

I think that people are just upset about the high cost of living. If you have the higher incomes, I would imagine it would be great.

Kind of like California. If you have the money, there is nowhere better to be. But if you don't have the money, there is nowhere worse to be. Not easy to SEE everything you could possibly want and dream in front of you day in and day out, but completely unable to attain them.

My take on Maryland is they can just cross a state line and attain what they can't attain in Maryland, so hence the 'issue'. (Not everyone, just the people who are giving you the impression that Maryland is unpopular).

As for me, Maryland looks good. Proximity to good jobs, diverse terrain, very acceptable climate, and some interesting cities.

living in South with a low salary but low taxes or living in MD for example with high salary,high taxes.I know that is an other debate,but some folks are thinking about that

Old 11-25-2010, 06:09 PM

15,688 posts, read 34,684,028 times
Quote:
living in South with a low salary but low taxes or living in MD for example with high salary,high taxes.I know that is an other debate,but some folks are thinking about that
Depends a lot on a person's skills. I prefer the higher salary, higher taxes, and all the amenities that comes with those locations.

But, for others, especially lower skilled jobs, it makes sense to be somewhere with a lower cost of living...as their wages probably wouldn't be significantly higher to warrant the higher cost of living.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:31 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,689,738 times
Quote:

It is near from DC

Thoughts
Thats BS because Maryland is Expected to grow by 2 Million within the next ten years......

Sorry kid you can't judge Maryland's population based on bad comments on this site because 95% of the Bad Comments about Maryland are coming from Maryland Hating Bigots that have NEVER Paid Maryland Taxes and never stepped foot into the state of Maryland.........

Old 11-25-2010, 11:32 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,689,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
High taxes, especially state income tax which gets a piggyback of up to 50% added by the County of residence.
Traffic.
Depending on where, high crime and marginal or worse schools.
Unrealistically high housing costs for what is received.
High energy costs for electricity.
Down the road and not common knowledge yet: much higher costs across the board when the new State planning guidelines are adopted in the next couple years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
^^^This, and the State doesn't do a good job of attracting jobs.
Who's bright idea was it to re-elect Martin O'Malley................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or