U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 02:45 PM

555 posts, read 969,253 times

Advertisements

this google map is of all the murders that happened in Baltimore in first 6 months of 2006. it just makes you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 01:52 AM

1,463 posts, read 5,662,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
this google map is of all the murders that happened in Baltimore in first 6 months of 2006. it just makes you think.
Its sad but its not random. Its people involved in the drug game that have relationships and history. Unless your peddling strawberry flavored cocaine you won't have any problems...But your right, the violence is stupid considering all the educational and professional opportunities available. Just people with no ambition striving to be the most unproductive human beings on earth..

Old 07-11-2007, 06:14 AM

4,990 posts, read 8,072,491 times
I didn't see a link. Here is one for all of the murders in Baltimore and the rest of MD so far in 2007

Murders in Maryland and D.C., 2007

For all the talk about violence being isolated in certain neighborhoods and among people is certain illegal occupations it sure looks like about 3/4 of the city are these kind of neighborhoods.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:41 PM

6 posts, read 14,905 times
While I would be willing to believe that the murders would be more frequent in certian areas of the city. The map does show however that they seem to be fairly spread out throughout the entire city. I don't believe that Baltimore is "Gangland, USA" but with the second highest murder rate in the nation it should be appearent that something MUST be done.

I started this conversation with someone else and was berated for asking how one would go about trying to do SOMETHING that would effort the cause.

If anyone in Maryland has any idea of how to get this going please notify me.

In the mean time think about how the system should change so that everyone in the city of Baltimore and the State of Maryland can live safer without having to rely entirely on the local police departments or the National Guard. In short, how can we teach our children to live and let live.

Tom_from_Dundalk

Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 PM

6 posts, read 14,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
But your right, the violence is stupid considering all the educational and professional opportunities available. Just people with no ambition striving to be the most unproductive human beings on earth..
This is a purely political viewpoint. to say that these people have no ambition is to completly miss the point. The people who are murdering are trying to protect the only "business" that will accept them as they are without having to fill out a job application. The ambition to retain territory and perhaps carve out new sales territory creates the murders.

The murderers think they are, to some extent, within the boundaries of the laws of capitalism. "Destroy the Competition" never meant as much to a tax exempt immigrant driving a cab or running a quicky mart (sorry for the stereotype.)

I mentioned in the earlier posting that everyone should be able to live without the presence of law enforcement on every corner. Let me put it this way:

I just let my dogs out in the back yard to bark at the rabbits they can't catch and it made me think in these terms; If there were a pride of lions loose on the streets of Baltimore Everyone would be up in arms and preparing themselves to go out and slaughter the killer lions. As the murder rate climbs raising us to the second highest in the Country where is the community outrage that should be bringing these criminals to justice? Doesn't it seem as though there should be a community forum that would allow people who know of these things to pass along information without fear of reprisals?

I wouldn't for one second pretend that either Mayor Dixon (or whomsoever should follow) or Police Commissioner Ham (or whomsoever should follow) would be unwilling to view any avenue to keep the murder rate down as the year continues. Can't SOMEONE in the community develop a modern day "underground railroad" type of communication system to assist the police in removing from the streets of Baltimore every gun toting hoodlim?

That part aside for a moment, if the murder rate is a direct result of the drug trade in the City, shouldn't the City, The surrounding counties, and the state fully invest themselves in a comprehensive program to reduce drug addiction in these areas? I remember David Crosby (formerly of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) saying on television once that as a nation America isn't really vested in curtailing drug traffiking. He said that if the American Government would give him half a billion dolloars (or some other huge amount) he, MR. Crosby, could guarantee an end to the drug trade in America. I believe this on some level. Mr. Crosby knew the business from the inside out and could probably have taken out a few key players in hopes that the remainder would collapse. That would have stopped the importation of illegal drugs but wouldn't end the drug problem. Until there is a comprehensive plan to help drug users there will always be a drug problem.

Tom_from_Dundalk

Old 07-13-2007, 04:59 AM

415 posts, read 1,808,492 times
They (users) need the desire to want help before anything can change. With the apathy found in the Baltimore City government, who's going to show them there's a better alternative out there to make them want to change? Certainly not the citizens, because then they just become another statistic.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:26 AM

4,990 posts, read 8,072,491 times
The problem with the "underground railroad" approach to snitching is that whole constitutional guarentee that defendants can face and cross examine their accusers in court. It would be easy to have some one call and say "I saw so and so shoot old whatsname yesterday," but for that tip to become evidence at the trial the informant would have to appear in court, state his name, and show his face to the galley of gang members bent on revenge. I wish I had a solution to the problem other than the advice, "Don't go to Baltimore."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or