Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:21 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I beg to differ. Spent the first 36 years in the Seattle area, and for the last 11 years have been here. I like both, even though they are decidedly not the same.
Do you really like these places equally? I think it's possible, but atypical.

For the record, I've been to the west coast (California) and found it very scenic and all. But as far as living goes, I prefer the east coast. I just find it to be a more interesting region overall. Then again, if I got fired from my current job with no other prospects here and got offered a great position in the Bay Area, I would certainly consider moving there. But that isn't happening anytime soon, so ...

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-03-2010 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 03:04 AM

5 posts, read 8,747 times
Merc63 can you recommend a place to move to in Maryland? Is there an area that offers diversity and a family friendly neighborhood?
I was targeting the Rockville area but i'm not too familar with it.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:10 AM

5 posts, read 8,747 times
When i mentioned diversity I was referring to all of the above but more importantly racial/ethnic. And my family is in Baltimore which i totally dislike- too much crime. I would love to have the close access to DC but still be in a suburb area.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:51 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Rockville and Silver Spring are diverse suburbs. Metro access, lots of restaurants and decent walkability in some areas are pluses as well.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 AM

764 posts, read 1,656,968 times
My sister-in-law went to college and lived in Berkeley for 10 years, then moved to Seattle (Vashon Island) for 5 years and moved to DC last spring. Her family looked out in Rockville and Silver Spring, but wanted the 'walk to the library, coffee shop, park'. She works in DC, so being close to a metro was important as well because they try to live without a car. They decided on DC (and found a pretty good, small school for their elementary aged kids), just south of Silver Spring (north of Walter Reed). They can walk to Rock Creek Park (which has a great trail system into DC) and in the summer she rides her bike to work (DuPont Circle area).

That being said, I live out in suburbia in Ellicott City and love it here. My community is somewhat economically diverse (not as much as Columbia, but we have 200k homes and 800k+ homes at the same elementary school, but no apartments), culturally diverse (65% white, 25% asian (which includes Indian/MiddleEastern), and 10% AA/Hisp), and religiously diverse (christian, muslim, jewish, etc.). [The next close school is 35%W, 40%A, and 25%AA/H]. If you're looking in a particular area, I would suggest (even if you don't have kids) looking up the make-up of the schools in the area, it will give you the race data, as we'll as the economic data (to a point) since the schools report FARM (free and reduced meal) information.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:19 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,007 times
Rockville covers a large area, and includes a Community College, the U.S. Public Health Service, the County Courthouse, and the Jewish Community Center of greater Washington.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,968 times
[East... I couldn't reply to you because you don't accept direct messages.]

Old 12-10-2010, 08:50 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Do you really like these places equally? I think it's possible, but atypical.
How do you measure/quantify "equally?" I like both areas for different reasons, and like living in both for different reasons. It'd be like asking a parent if they love all theri children equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz77 View Post
Merc63 can you recommend a place to move to in Maryland? Is there an area that offers diversity and a family friendly neighborhood?
I was targeting the Rockville area but i'm not too familar with it.
I'm actually up inside the beltway in Pikesville. Diversity? Yeah, definitely. Family friendly? Looks like it, and the schools are pretty good right in this area. Crime? Very little of the sort that anyone shodl be worried about (walking around even after dark is safe enough for most of us), and the cost of housing is much lower than anything that could be considered a DC suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland