U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 PM

661 posts, read 961,706 times

Advertisements

All I was trying to say was that since Alaska is #2 behind Maryland in jobs/housing value, wouldn't it be a no brainer that Alaska would be a more desirable place? Maryland is only #1 I think is because it's next to D.C. and Alaska is next to Russia. Hence it's only #2.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 PM

15,692 posts, read 34,684,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
All I was trying to say was that since Alaska is #2 behind Maryland in jobs/housing value, wouldn't it be a no brainer that Alaska would be a more desirable place? Maryland is only #1 I think is because it's next to D.C. and Alaska is next to Russia. Hence it's only #2.
Well, I think you'd want to go to Alaska for some other reason...to make it worth going to.

I can't imagine anyone going to Alaska solely because its #2 in jobs/housing value and Maryland is #1...and for that reason alone.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,518,511 times
I'm in MD for my job. And as long as I have a job here I'll be here. If and when that's over I plan to move back to my hometown, Philadelphia. I don't hate MD, don't LOVE it. It just is where I live and work. It's nice enough and has some GREAT things about it. It's sure as he11 where I'd choose to live over some other places.

To be honest I don't see what all the complaints are about MD. This isn't directed at anyone specific at all. But people who don't want to live here, should move. I AM NOT saying that in the tone of 'well if you don't like it here, LEAVE.'

What I mean is people should do what makes them happy. And if there's somewhere else you'd rather live, then start making plans to do that. It may take a year or to to get it set up -- like getting out of debt, selling a few (or a lot) of things to bank roll the change, researching the place you're moving to, scouting out the move, etc.

But you only live once (in this life anyway) -- and if you think your quality of life would be better -- make the change. It's not going to happen by being complacent.

People complain that MD is expensive -- it ain't NYC or Honolulu people! Geez. You want expensive live in Hawaii for a while.

People complain about taxes -- well, on that front, MD isn't NY, CT, or California. You want high taxes try there.

People complain about the state leadership -- NO state has perfect leaders, and besides YOU/WE/SOMEONE just voted O'Malley back in. (The man wasn't in office two weeks the first time before he raised our taxes, and people voted him in -- AGAIN..but I digress...)

If the schools aren't what you want, work to make them better -- or put your kids in private school AND MAKE THE SACRIFICES NECESSARY TO DO THAT.

But please stop whining about MD isn't this or that. (Again, some complaints are on target and valid, but some are just a whiny refrain)

Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 PM

661 posts, read 961,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, I think you'd want to go to Alaska for some other reason...to make it worth going to.

I can't imagine anyone going to Alaska solely because its #2 in jobs/housing value and Maryland is #1...and for that reason alone.
Well no one would want to go to a #20. It's one of the top fives when it comes to getting a job. I just came from Chicago...10% unemployment rate. I was barely getting 30 hours a week.

Alaska, when you think of it does not have Baltimore or Detroit was probably the reason why it should be better off than Maryland. It's got just as much jobs (it's #2) with less population. I think the overall landscape is prettier (I've seen pictures and videos of it, we all have). That's another plus, compared to boarded up houses, expensive mediocre downtown living (Silver Spring/Bethesda/Rockville), PG County McMansions, $400K Montgomery County double-wide trailer homes (aka ramblers), etc. IMHO.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:28 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,234,904 times
Alaska has a fair amount of crime and even gangs.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:13 AM

168 posts, read 593,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Some people value other things more than the size of their paycheck.
Affording a roof over my head, money for later in life and spare money to afford a few niceties along the way goes with that "size of my paycheck" comment. Im not too sure how anyone can walk around knowing that they are broke and honestly think to themselves how "great" life is. If you enjoy paycheck to paycheck living then more power to ya.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM

4,559 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncesir View Post
Affording a roof over my head, money for later in life and spare money to afford a few niceties along the way goes with that "size of my paycheck" comment. Im not too sure how anyone can walk around knowing that they are broke and honestly think to themselves how "great" life is. If you enjoy paycheck to paycheck living then more power to ya.
Different things make different people happy. Money, the security it brings, the stuff it buys is part of the equation. Also important are being close to family and friends, enjoying the scenic and cultural beauty of were you live, and free time. The last is maybe most important. I would gladly trade money off my paycheck to avoid wasting 20+ hours a month commuting.

Don't forget also that people that have roots in a community lose a part of themselves when they leave. I suspect it is different for people that grew up in the 'burbs, or with parents that were transplants themselves.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 AM

512 posts, read 1,398,301 times
Selhars I think a lot of people complain about Maryland a lot of times, because things have changed. I'm a native of 25 years (I think it's 25) anyway, At least in the D.C. area I can say that it has become increasingly expensive and property taxes and rent has become higher. Lets also not avoid congestion a pain. I love Maryland but the things I mentioned have also become taxing (no pun intended). It's like this things aren't the same as they use to be. So I think that is why. Well at least that is for me. You would think that with the high cost we would have more jobs. I understand why Northern Va is pricey, but Maryland is a bit ridiculous. Anyway I would move but my wife has a 4 year commitment and I am working to finish my undergrad. Once that is done then I'll look into another area. I'm not the type that needs a high paying job and status, just give me a decent job that will allow me to live comfortably. I rather spend time with my family and make a difference in what I do for a living. So my taste would be somewhere in the south or in the midwest.

Maryland is not a horrible place by any means it is just like you described a place where your job is with things to do. There isn't too much in Maryland that would jump out there and make you scream I've gotta live there. Like New York or Miami or maybe even L.A. and Chicago. That's my take on things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm in MD for my job. And as long as I have a job here I'll be here. If and when that's over I plan to move back to my hometown, Philadelphia. I don't hate MD, don't LOVE it. It just is where I live and work. It's nice enough and has some GREAT things about it. It's sure as he11 where I'd choose to live over some other places.

To be honest I don't see what all the complaints are about MD. This isn't directed at anyone specific at all. But people who don't want to live here, should move. I AM NOT saying that in the tone of 'well if you don't like it here, LEAVE.'

What I mean is people should do what makes them happy. And if there's somewhere else you'd rather live, then start making plans to do that. It may take a year or to to get it set up -- like getting out of debt, selling a few (or a lot) of things to bank roll the change, researching the place you're moving to, scouting out the move, etc.

But you only live once (in this life anyway) -- and if you think your quality of life would be better -- make the change. It's not going to happen by being complacent.

People complain that MD is expensive -- it ain't NYC or Honolulu people! Geez. You want expensive live in Hawaii for a while.

People complain about taxes -- well, on that front, MD isn't NY, CT, or California. You want high taxes try there.

People complain about the state leadership -- NO state has perfect leaders, and besides YOU/WE/SOMEONE just voted O'Malley back in. (The man wasn't in office two weeks the first time before he raised our taxes, and people voted him in -- AGAIN..but I digress...)

If the schools aren't what you want, work to make them better -- or put your kids in private school AND MAKE THE SACRIFICES NECESSARY TO DO THAT.

But please stop whining about MD isn't this or that. (Again, some complaints are on target and valid, but some are just a whiny refrain)

Old 12-06-2010, 12:06 PM

4,120 posts, read 3,695,445 times
I love Maryland and probably would stay here regardless of jobs. i think its very scenic and its got a little bit of everything. i would not pick Alaska over Maryland because it just doesn't appeal to me and the winters around here are rough enough.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,123 times
Thinking about moving to Maryland, but still not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland