U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2010, 02:55 AM
 
661 posts, read 961,706 times
Reputation: 135

Advertisements

I guess I'm looking for other people's excuses for not wanting to stay in MD so I can relate and have an understanding that it's not just me. MD does have a good job market. Silver Spring is booming (I know and it was on an article I read). The jobs are there. It's not so bad, but I feel like it's just as a state as Maine. I feel like I just need to be somewhere else. Maybe it's the stress of being in a "job market" state with lots of traffic and people for such a small state.

 
Old 12-01-2010, 02:59 AM
 
661 posts, read 961,706 times
Reputation: 135
MD/DC area is #1 for house value/job market. Alaska is #2. Wouldn't you rather be in Alaska? I think i would. I've never been there, but I have a clue that it is a prettier state, just cold and dark. It is less congested (big state, little population) and not ghetto (Anchorage is not Baltimore)! You get the point.
 
Old 12-01-2010, 04:46 AM
 
Location: North Baltimore ----> Seattle
6,473 posts, read 10,727,693 times
Reputation: 3092
I don't blame you for wanting to leave the DC suburbs. My in-laws lived in Anchorage for 10 years and loved it. Keep in mind Alaska is not crime free and not all of Baltimore is ghetto.
 
Old 12-01-2010, 07:54 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,664 posts, read 18,211,833 times
Reputation: 11163
To me, the only place in the U.S. that is a clear step up from the Washington, DC - Baltimore area is the New York City metropolitan area. If I could afford to live well there, I'd probably move.

Other than that, I'm just not that impressed with other places when it comes to living (not visiting) compared to Maryland.
 
Old 12-01-2010, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Montgomery Village
4,120 posts, read 3,695,445 times
Reputation: 1693
Well if Maryland wasnt in the Top five it wouldn't be a congested now would it? If you take all the jobs away, any place would not be a desirable place to live. Being poor and living in the Tropics is not all its cracked up to be.
 
Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Reputation: 2770
My family has lived in Western Maryland since it was the frontier. I am not going anywhere. The job and housing market in DC has very little to do with us anyway.
 
Old 12-03-2010, 04:47 AM
 
168 posts, read 593,701 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I guess I'm looking for other people's excuses for not wanting to stay in MD so I can relate and have an understanding that it's not just me. MD does have a good job market. Silver Spring is booming (I know and it was on an article I read). The jobs are there. It's not so bad, but I feel like it's just as a state as Maine. I feel like I just need to be somewhere else. Maybe it's the stress of being in a "job market" state with lots of traffic and people for such a small state.
Honestly, be thankful you are in such a thriving booming environment. Over here on the shore, jobs couldnt be any more scarce, good paying ones anyway. Somehow ppl here have convinced themselves that living your life paycheck to paycheck is somehow better than dealing with an area that actually has traffic and a strong economy. Hence the reason retirees like it here. They dont need good paying jobs.

The comment about being poor living in the Tropics applies to the shore.
 
Old 12-03-2010, 06:13 AM
 
16 posts, read 48,318 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I don't blame you for wanting to leave the DC suburbs. My in-laws lived in Anchorage for 10 years and loved it. Keep in mind Alaska is not crime free and not all of Baltimore is ghetto.
Agreed.
 
Old 12-03-2010, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Reputation: 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncesir View Post
Honestly, be thankful you are in such a thriving booming environment. Over here on the shore, jobs couldnt be any more scarce, good paying ones anyway. Somehow ppl here have convinced themselves that living your life paycheck to paycheck is somehow better than dealing with an area that actually has traffic and a strong economy. Hence the reason retirees like it here. They dont need good paying jobs.

The comment about being poor living in the Tropics applies to the shore.
Some people value other things more than the size of their paycheck.
 
Old 12-03-2010, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,397 posts, read 13,234,904 times
Reputation: 6219
I may leave after I graduate college. High taxes ain't fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top