U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:34 PM

15,691 posts, read 34,684,028 times

Advertisements

I'm not advocating drug usage at all....

But, you can understand regions better by understanding what kind of drug abuse goes on in different places.

For example...Baltimore...heroin and crack?

Washington DC? Don't know...would cocaine be a bigger drug? I would think of Wall Street NYC or Miami Florida with cocaine...or is that 'on the way out' nation-wide once crack took over the streets?

Marijuana...I usually associate with California or Mountain States...I also think of MIdwestern college towns...and southern mountain states like Tennessee, Missouri, Kentucky, etc.

Meth...I think of the West Coast and many meth labs.

Anyways...for Maryland....from the different regions....for example, Western Maryland, Baltimore, Washington DC suburbs, that peninsula region...

What would you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 10:39 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Baltimore - Heroin
D.C. - Crack
Western Maryland - Scripts, especially opiates

Old 12-06-2010, 04:35 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,727,693 times
Marijuana is everywhere in the U.S. I wonder if the neo-hippies who use it know that it's because of their patronage that the border cities of Mexico are being run by murderous groups of drug gangs (My problem is not with its usage but its source).

Heroin is and has been king in Baltimore for almost half a century. When crack got hot in the 80s and 90s, the double-whammy really walloped this city.

Crack's popularity has faded substantially in Baltimore.

Coke is still the drug of choice of the wealthy everywhere.

Meth labs are no longer just in the rural west and northwest. They can be found just about anywhere there is a high concentration of poor people and not much opportunity. I've heard tell of people setting up labs in their rowhouses here, which I hope is not true.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:45 AM

15,691 posts, read 34,684,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Meth labs are no longer just in the rural west and northwest. They can be found just about anywhere there is a high concentration of poor people and not much opportunity. I've heard tell of people setting up labs in their rowhouses here, which I hope is not true.
Mm...would be a total disaster. Don't know the frequency of them 'exploding' or whatever they do...but it does seem to happen more often than you'd think. Would be a mess for neighbors...

I wonder how rural Maryland is dealing with Meth, or if even has much of a Meth problem. I tend to think West Coast and just rural anywhere. But Maryland seems slightly too educated or slightly too urban or slightly more into other just as equally accessable drugs...that meth might not appeal as much as it does in the middle of nowhere types of locations.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Mm...would be a total disaster. Don't know the frequency of them 'exploding' or whatever they do...but it does seem to happen more often than you'd think. Would be a mess for neighbors...
You're telling me! As a rowhouse dweller, I shudder to think. But it hasn't happened yet, to my knowledge. Their existance may just be rumored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I wonder how rural Maryland is dealing with Meth, or if even has much of a Meth problem. ... But Maryland seems slightly too educated or slightly too urban or slightly more into other just as equally accessable drugs.
You might be right. It's certainly not as big of a problem here as elsewhere. When I lived on the Eastern Shore I didn't hear too much about it, and that is a place one might expect it to thrive. Perhaps WSB can comment about the meth situation in Western MD, which is the other area of the state you'd be likely to find it.

My point was simply that it is not confined to the western states anymore.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 AM

32,107 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Meth isn't much of an issue, yet. There are pockets of use in SoMD that I'm aware of. The main drug of choice is alcohol. Marijuana is widespread as are the various forms of cocaine. PCP is making a comeback, very widespread in the 80s. Ecstasy is also popular.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:17 AM

1,092 posts, read 916,924 times
Default No It's not...Prohibition is.

Quote:
Marijuana is everywhere in the U.S. I wonder if the neo-hippies who use it know that it's because of their patronage that the border cities of Mexico are being run by murderous groups of drug gangs (My problem is not with its usage but its source).
No, It's not because of American's "patronage" by buying marijuana that Mexico has drug gangs and violence. Don't just lisen to government propaganda, do some research. American's were buying marijuana grown in Mexico before those cities became the war zone they are now. Almost 30,000 people have died in the last 3 years. Ask yourself, what's changed?

The current level of violence is occurring because Calderon, as part of his pre-election platform, said he would take on the Cartels. It was the government of Mexico that increased the violence by bringing in the Federal Police and the military to the fight. The cartels responded in kind. Also, by capturing and killing cartel leaders, the government of Mexico has created instability in the cartels, provided more violent opportunists in the cartels an opening into management, and possibilities to increase their influence over rival gangs.

A study in America of gangs found that if you imprison or kill the leaders of a gang, the likely result is more violence as others (typically more violent)jockey for position and try to grab territory, not less violence.

The real cause of all the violence is America's failed Drug War and our exporting that drug war to other countries. Just recently Ms Clinton offered Mexico millions of dollars for even more military equipment and support to further increase the violence in Mexico.

There is a simple solution to this problem, end the drug war and let Americans grow marijuana (and hemp) here. Take the profit out of the hands of the cartels, and put it in the hands of government regulators.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
No, It's not because of American's "patronage" by buying marijuana that Mexico has drug gangs and violence..
No, probably not. It's the prohibition of it in our country. But right now, if I were to go out and buy a bag of marijuana, that money ends up funding people who kill. So I'll abstain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
There is a simple solution to this problem, end the drug war and let Americans grow marijuana (and hemp) here. Take the profit out of the hands of the cartels, and put it in the hands of government regulators.
I agree, somewhat.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:30 PM

4,120 posts, read 3,695,445 times
Quote:
No, probably not. It's the prohibition of it in our country. But right now, if I were to go out and buy a bag of marijuana, that money ends up funding people who kill. So I'll abstain.

I agree, somewhat.
So what about Cocaine? That by far is what funds the cartels.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:36 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
You don't hear anything about meth in Western Maryland. I think I read about one bust involving meth in the last couple of years. In general, meth isn't popular in places where crack is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or