U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:13 PM

388 posts, read 670,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Yes indeed. I also was going to say, as was pointed, that while there is some commuting back and forth -- I'd be willing to bet most people in each city hardly ever or never go to the other city.

Heck I live in Bowie and work in DC -- and I myself never go into DC unless visitors want to do some touristy thing that's ONLY in DC. Most times I'd rather go to Annapolis or Alexandria. I've been to Baltimore ONCE in eight years, and that was also because guests wanted to go to a specific place for crab cakes, so we also walked about Fels Point a bit.

(As for never going into DC, I'm sure because I work there there's a psychological thing about just not wanted to go back in town if I don't absolutely have to.. I DID just recently go to the American Indian Museum (with a visitor who really wanted to do one of the Smithsonians) and loved it. The cafe alone - while expensive - is worth a trip. It's fantastic.)
What's funny, with Bowie being about 15 min from Annapolis, where lived, I associated myself more with bmore. I went home this spring and it was only the second time in my life I actually walked around DC and took in the sights, whereas I was always going to bmore for something. As close as they are, they are def two completely different cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 02:36 PM

317 posts, read 464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Sometimes whenever I'm in Maryland or Virginia for a visit I see the term "Baltimore-Washington Area".
The Baltimore-Washington corridor is considered one big metropolitan area for statistic purposes, but they aren't really that well connected. For example, Washington and Baltimore each have separate TV and radio stations, mass transit, etc. but that's about it. Nobody from Baltimore or Washington would ever say they're from the "Baltimore-Washington Area".

Old 07-30-2011, 09:56 PM

4,560 posts, read 7,621,816 times
It's all just downstate to us. I heard a local once refer to someone she had met as being from "that Hagerstown, Washington, Baltimore area."

Old 07-31-2011, 09:42 AM

202 posts, read 469,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
It's all just downstate to us. I heard a local once refer to someone she had met as being from "that Hagerstown, Washington, Baltimore area."
Now that's funny! I always considered Hagerstown a big part of Western Maryland.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:47 PM

478 posts, read 618,071 times
Hagerstown in with DC or Baltimore? Sounds like a bit of a case of big city envy or something like that.

I do feel that the urban landscapes of each city are pretty different. Baltimore feels much more northeastern to me, more like Philly, especially with the large shipyards.

Geographically they are close and most people in one city have friends in the other who they visit on a pretty regular basis. That's the main reason that I might see some alignment between them, and the fact that you have many people who have spent significant chunks of their lives in both areas.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:23 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,420,150 times
The only way they should be considered the same market is when you are talking about radio stations, and businesses. I can pick up many DC stations in Baltimore, and as I travel to DC, I can still get many of my Baltimore stations. I have a business, and I do most stuff in Bmore, but some in DC, there are probably many businesses that do equal business in both Cities.

When it comes to personalities, architecture, Sports Fan Bases, Cusine, Job Types, and more, two completely different places.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:37 PM

4,560 posts, read 7,621,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
Hagerstown in with DC or Baltimore? Sounds like a bit of a case of big city envy or something like that.

I do feel that the urban landscapes of each city are pretty different. Baltimore feels much more northeastern to me, more like Philly, especially with the large shipyards.

Geographically they are close and most people in one city have friends in the other who they visit on a pretty regular basis. That's the main reason that I might see some alignment between them, and the fact that you have many people who have spent significant chunks of their lives in both areas.
Not envy, just that every east of Sideling Hill is pretty much the same to us, that is, not home. The finer points of difference between DC/Baltimore/Frederick/Hagerstown etc. are mostly irrevelavant to our day to day lives here in the mountains.

Remember, anywhere Cumberland or west is closer in mileage to Pittsburgh than Baltimore or Washington. We are a full 65 miles to Hagerstown too. Hagerstown itself is actually closer to Rockville and Gaithersburg than it is to Cumberland in terms of mileage.

Last edited by westsideboy; 07-31-2011 at 05:47 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 06:31 PM

447 posts, read 1,020,245 times
The east end of Hagerstown is closer to Baltimore than Cumberland. I can be on the Baltimore beltway in 50 minutes, driving 70mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or