U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:22 AM

5,674 posts, read 7,260,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbailey View Post
Whatever, you people are absolute morons. You obviously do not have roots in the places I speak of. Go there, and really speak to locals who've been around 25 years plus - many less than that and you will see (I am 29, 30 next month... I know people a bit younger than me who's accent is diminished so thats why I mention it). I am also talking about white locals- I am not sure how African Americans in Dundalk pronounce their town. As for the person above you- this whole thread is about the correct way to pronounce local places the LOCAL way. So your analogy to Boston is correct in a way. But rest assured, people have been pronouncing these places like this since the start so in my book it is the "right" way.
I didn't say I had roots there. But there are people that are under 25 that do. And now you're saying a lot of them pronounce it wrong too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Drove by Dundalk High School today. Never realized their nickname is the Hawks. So is it pronounced "Hocks"?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:19 AM

56 posts, read 106,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbailey View Post
Oh and it's Towson is Tow-sin not Toe-sin or Towz-in

... and Westminster is not West-MINISTER
LOL

I said Towz-in for the first 2 years. Until this guy pulled me aside and said that it was Tow-Son.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 PM

4,559 posts, read 7,619,598 times
I didn't know there were people that pronouced "Hawk" and "Hock" differently. They are the same in my dialect. But then again, I pronounce pull, pool, and pole identically too.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Drove by Dundalk High School today. Never realized their nickname is the Hawks. So is it pronounced "Hocks"?
Um no. Do you even know the Baltimore accent? Ive lived here my whole life and "hawk" is pronounced as "hawk" (with a short "aw" not the drawn out "awww" you hear New Yorkers use for "caawwwfee", etc), not "hock" - I would imagine thats more of a NJ-NY-MA thing.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:16 PM

So "hock" and "hawk" are pronounced differently in Baltimore? Weird. What are some words that rhyme with each?

Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonygraze View Post
Um no. Do you even know the Baltimore accent? Ive lived here my whole life and "hawk" is pronounced as "hawk" (with a short "aw" not the drawn out "awww" you hear New Yorkers use for "caawwwfee", etc), not "hock" - I would imagine thats more of a NJ-NY-MA thing.
That was sarcasm...I didn't even know people pronounced hawk differently than how it's spelled other than in Boston maybe (who probably would say it like "hock"). I was referring to JasonBailey saying that Dundalk was pronounced as "Dundock." If it was really pronounced as Dundock, I feel like you'd be almost forced to say "Dundock Hocks" -- it's almost a tongue twister to say "Dundock Hawks." Basically my point was that if the school's nickname was Hawks, I'd think that's because it rhymes with the name of the school...Dundalk (technically "Dundawk" I guess)...

Old 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
So "hock" and "hawk" are pronounced differently in Baltimore? Weird. What are some words that rhyme with each?
Can't really speak specifically for Baltimore, but IMO...

hock
dock
mock
rock
sock

hawk
gawk
that's pretty much all I got for that one, other than "Dundawk" of course

Old 01-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Wow, this is really weird for me.

What do you guys do, pronounce the "w" in hawk? Yeah, so when I say the name it is the "Dundock Hocks"

For the record I would wager most natives (myself included) would pronounce "stalk" the same as "stock" which is why "Dundalk" is the same as "Dundock." J-Bail may have had a legitimate point about the Maryland dialect on that one.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,538 times
No, you guys arent understanding.
I lived here all my life and not once have I heard ANYONE pronounce hawk as "hock", but I can assure you that it is DunDOCK, not done dawk- It's weird, I know but trust me- hawk, and gawk you definitely hear the "AW" - it is NOT like SOCK. Thats interesting though westsideboy because I have never heard anyone from this part of Maryland speak like you're saying. That sounds more midwestern to me but seeing as your in Cumberland it makes sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland