U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:12 PM

795 posts, read 993,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The only tax they aren't paying is the income tax. Since they make a small pittance of what the rest of us make...it probably does come out to a wash.

Basically if more Americans were willing to get off unemployment and work at the many low-wage jobs we have all over the place, than we wouldn't be employing immigrants to do those jobs.
Which was going to be one of my points later... that is important.

If I can make $3000 a month on unemployment, why would I get a job and make $1700 a month? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:57 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,233,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
First off, great post. I don't have the correct answers but hopefully we can discuss...

I believe it has to do with money and resources. Businesses can charge less when they pay less... and we simply don't have enough people to deport these gals/guys. But then we have "rich" people or people "well off" who don't ask the status of the people doing their lawns. Do you hire company A for $300 a month to do your lawn or company B for $120 to do the same job? Hmm... lol

Not sure... I go 5 to 9 over the speed limit on the highway.... lol

But how many benefits do they have? Might be a situation where some might see some benefit that you see but the majority are toaste.

And either way, I think we must protect children. Period...

Well, two people arrive in their teens.... they have sex and boom... they have kids. Not sure they were thinking of the situation at the time.

They knew from others that the kids would be accepted into the school systems here... they only want to improve their situation. Mexico sucks... I'd get the hell out of there as well.

Thanks for the info on ITINs... my only worry about illegals is when they pay taxes in another person's name or the business takes out taxes but don't file them because they know the people are illegal...

In general:

For the record, I'm not saying it is right or wrong... I guess my question back to you is, 1. what is your answer? 2. What do you think should be done?
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. To answer your question, I just think you simply enforce the laws the way that they are written. No excuses. You can't keep make conditions for people breaking laws. When you have loopholes then you give other people the impression that they can get the same treatment. I think this country is morally bankrupt and allows people to break laws if it benefits the people who write or enforce them. I truly sympathize with these individuals and their situations in their home country, but breaking laws and looking for handouts is not right. Everyone that has entered this country legally, had to follow a process. Why should they be any different?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:08 PM

795 posts, read 993,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. To answer your question, I just think you simply enforce the laws the way that they are written. No excuses. You can't keep make conditions for people breaking laws. When you have loopholes then you give other people the impression that they can get the same treatment. I think this country is morally bankrupt and allows people to break laws if it benefits the people who write or enforce them. I truly sympathize with these individuals and their situations in their home country, but breaking laws and looking for handouts is not right. Everyone that has entered this country legally, had to follow a process. Why should they be any different?
The simple approach is good... not much for good convo...

Simple back... no one giving "handouts"... not sure how you got that... and the situation is different, that is good enough reason why to change/amend laws.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
One of the last posters seems confused about immigrants working in the US without papers...it's called adding to our national wealth....I know there is a lot of fear on the part of Lazy Americans, who like cheap immigrant labor but don't like a level playing field, but I, for one, want to do what's best for the country and the state, and that is to educate the best and the brightest...but I guess some are too selfish for that.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 PM

15,711 posts, read 34,767,486 times
I just researched more on this bill, it's called the Maryland DREAM Act.

Two requirements need to be met to recieve in-state tuition:
1) Go to a Maryland high school for at least two years.
2) Parents must be tax-payers.

My feeling is that if parents are paying taxes (despite being illegal), AND their kids are attending public schools in Maryland. Than logically, they should qualify for in-state tuition.

The counter-argument is that illegal is illegal. But than why isn't immigrant checking out high schools, middle schools, elementary schools, and tax records for 'illegals' than? As they all seem to be there all over the place?

My feeling is that if they've been paying taxes their entire life, and attending to the public schools (which their taxes are paying for), and contributing in every other way to society, and getting good grades. Than if they've done all that, than why not get in-state tuition for the same state they've been contributed taxes towards?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:15 PM

32,172 posts, read 39,311,449 times
MD public schools are not permitted to check immigration status of enrolling students per various federal education laws.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM

4,565 posts, read 7,638,850 times
Quote:
I just researched more on this bill, it's called the Maryland DREAM Act.

Two requirements need to be met to recieve in-state tuition:
1) Go to a Maryland high school for at least two years.
2) Parents must be tax-payers.

My feeling is that if parents are paying taxes (despite being illegal), AND their kids are attending public schools in Maryland. Than logically, they should qualify for in-state tuition.

The counter-argument is that illegal is illegal. But than why isn't immigrant checking out high schools, middle schools, elementary schools, and tax records for 'illegals' than? As they all seem to be there all over the place?

My feeling is that if they've been paying taxes their entire life, and attending to the public schools (which their taxes are paying for), and contributing in every other way to society, and getting good grades. Than if they've done all that, than why not get in-state tuition for the same state they've been contributed taxes towards?

Sounds great ideologically, but where is the money coming from? The state is already well short and will have to both cut spending and find new things to tax or raise exisiting ones. This isn't the fiscal climate to find new liberal ideological windmills to go tilting towards.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM

15,711 posts, read 34,767,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Sounds great ideologically, but where is the money coming from? The state is already well short and will have to both cut spending and find new things to tax or raise exisiting ones. This isn't the fiscal climate to find new liberal ideological windmills to go tilting towards.
I suppose it would come from the parents who are paying taxes, as that is one of the clauses to recieve in-state tuition.

The point you raised earlier about in-state tuition being a subsidy from the state. That is interesting, as first I'd heard about it. So, basically everyone who attends college with instate tuition, it going to college on taxpayer money. There is something wrong about that one.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:26 AM

4,565 posts, read 7,638,850 times
Quote:
I suppose it would come from the parents who are paying taxes, as that is one of the clauses to recieve in-state tuition.

The point you raised earlier about in-state tuition being a subsidy from the state. That is interesting, as first I'd heard about it. So, basically everyone who attends college with instate tuition, it going to college on taxpayer money. There is something wrong about that one.
It is a very intersting point. If the kids parent's are paying Maryland State taxes why shouldn't they qualify for the subsidy too? A tax payer doesn't get to pick and choose what their portion goes contributes towards in the budget, in most cases it gets lumped together and then dolled back out.

O'Malley has made it a big point to keep MD college tution frozen, which means the system has to be losing more and more money every year as the cost of everything else goes up.

It is time it cut spending, not find new things to fund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or