U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 12:34 PM

56 posts, read 106,181 times

Advertisements

My wife and I bought a home off of foreclosure. Literally. The entire interior needs to be painted. It's a 3br/2 1/2 bath home. 3 levels, and the top level has High Ceilings.

Our Realtor said he has a friend that would do it for $8000. Being that we just purchased the home. Our disposable income was low at the moment.

So I guess I was watching too much HGTV one weekend. I figured I should give it a shot myself. I have never painted a room before. I'm a little handy with small things.

Considering that we have talked about possibily moving in about 5 years. Should I have the house professionally painted. Or should I try and save money and do it myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 04:46 AM

2,051 posts, read 4,843,973 times
You can paint it yourself. The truth about painting is that to get a professional looking finish you have to do prep work. I spend a lot of time on prep. Easily days. You need to go around and fix (not patch) all of the defects in the drywall, including the ceilings. Cracks, nail pops, old nail holes, repairs improperly done before and any spots where the paint is flaking off of (a sign that primer was not used when the wall or repair was finished the first time). You will need a 4 inch and 8 inch drywall knives along with a 16" drywall pan, at least 12 lbs of joint compound, large dropclothes, drywall sanding blocks and a good and powerful shop vac. If you have high celings you will need staging (scaffolding) that will allow you to work on the ceiling safely. You could use ladders but for the cheap price of staging rentals it's not worth risking your life.

Once you get done with the drywall it's time to prep the trim. Start by inspecting all of the hardware in the room. Look at the light switches, receptacles, cover plates, door stops, heating and A/C vents, all of the door handles, phone and cable tv jacks and door hinges. If ANY of it looks even the slightest bit old or already has paint on it you must recondition or replace. You want everything to look NEW. Remove all brackets for curtains and shades.

Now it's time for caulk. What you need to do with the caulk and is go around all of the trim and caulk every gap you can find, no matter how small the gap is.

Have you decided whether you want to continue or not? Does this sound like a can of worms that you really want to open?

Old 01-01-2011, 01:27 PM

795 posts, read 990,969 times
8K just about negates any savings over a regular home purchase... lol... (I'm looking at the moment). If you have to do other repairs as well, that is...

I would get some more quotes... maybe the guy at home depot (that really works, in most cases... they know someone or can do it themselves).

Also, maybe you can work with someone and do like my uncle... he hired someone but did a lot of the work himself... basically working for the guy he hired... odd, but it worked fine for him.

And if you want to do it yourself... you are on the wrong site.... google would be much better. Heck, someone on youtube might have the process in a video series.... or maybe you can find the videos someplace else on the web.

Last I would look at the cost of supplies and deduct from the labor... if the paint is $7000 (ok, it is not... making a point here), and if someone wants to charge you $8000... are you really saving money. At what point/cost does it make sense to hire someone. How much is your time worth?

Good luck.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:02 PM

69 posts, read 174,760 times
Default painting: diy or hire someone

i would not consider anyone recommended by home depot.

i know of a handyman in the balto. area that has done work for me. he is good and resonable - if you want his info let me know.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM

19 posts, read 34,204 times
Let me know if you know somebody in the Port Deposit area... planning on moving there in March...
need all rooms painted approx 3700 sq feet.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:07 AM

297 posts, read 1,131,846 times
Painting is not brain surgery - you can do it yourself. If you don't feel comfortable on a tall ladder you may want to hire someone just to paint the room with the high ceilings, but you can easily do this yourself.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:39 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
You can do it yourself. As all have said -- and guess you're trying to decide -- if you WANT to.

How messed up ARE the walls? Painters PAINT -- and charge EXTRA for repairs they have to do. And many may not do it. They'll tell you in a minute I PAINT, repairs are extra.

Depending on how it's done they may spray. Come in and knock out rooms in a day.

DEFINITELY get other other estimates.
- is it all just painting
- does repair need to be done
- any wallpaper removal
- how many rooms have super-high ceilings

Do you want this all done at one time. Or are you willing to do it one room at a time yourself. Depending on the prep to be done -- you by yourself, or with a friend, can get two rooms done per weekend. They might be long days but you can do it.

Doing it yourself you've got the cost of paint. Which you can buy Oops/Returned paint for 5.00 a gallon (which I've had great success with)..or 50.00 a gallon designer paint....and supplies...and dinner for your friends. That is no where NEAR 8-thousand dollars.. if you bargain shop you can to it for less than even 1-thousand dollars.

The painting itself is not hard at all. It may be a pain in the butt and can get a little messy (even that can be kept to a minimum), but it's not hard. The bottom line is are you willing to pay to have it done by professions in just days...or do you want to spend your time doing it over months, for a fraction of the cost.

As they say in the hood: "How funny is your money?" Translated that means: "Is your budget tight. Can you afford to pay someone."
(Alright, friends and neighbors, forgive me for that. But I do hope someone else is laughing besides me)

Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 AM

49 posts, read 196,009 times
We used an incredible painter who was beyond reasonably priced from the Cecil County area (we are in Harford Co). Let me know if you want his info. He painted our entire house, trim, doors, etc. We did not need ceilings painted. We have a 4 br, 2.5 bath.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 AM

6,295 posts, read 10,463,432 times
Why not just paint all the bedrooms and rooms where you can reach the ceiling fairly easily? Don't be put off by "all the prep work". If the walls are in good shape, you can paint a room in half a day.

I've repainted every house I've ever bought myself- the worst ones are where I had to strip layers of old wallpaper. Newer wallpaper is easy to strip. Hire someone for the high stairwells and cathedral ceilings if you must.

The new low VOC paints are good for interiors.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 AM

3,785 posts, read 8,762,556 times
I do the painting by myself. The best part about paint is that mistakes are pretty easily corrected. I'd also suggest washing the walls before you paint--especially the kitchen area and investing in good quality rollers and brushes. Also, if you're planning to sell in 5 years, you're probably going to have to repaint then anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland