Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 PM

40 posts, read 160,081 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am relatively new here, therefore I’d like to check if anyone can suggest/deny our consideration to move my family toward Baltimore, MD?

The job-wise is not limiting us as I am going to work mostly from home, but comparatively close/easy access to international airport would be good to have.

For growing kids, we would need right now some base schools such as elementary, middle, and high as well as colleges and university soon.

Few additional facts I’d like to highlight as well: we have some family’s habits/interests (b/c we are originally (back to about 10 years) from Europe)…

We really love to attend and therefore aim to develop the same interests in our children: theaters, ballet, some other performance, exhibits, museums, festivals, puppetry, concert shows, etc.

We love to walk by streets, squares, parks, scrutinize some monuments, statues, fountains, unique architectures, but crime can harm, so need to consider this...

Sport-wise: indoor/outdoor ice-skating, skiing, swimming, river/lake boating, hiking.

I was pointing by some of my colleagues to look at zip 21282, but as far as I not yet there it’s difficult to say something.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:46 AM

200 posts, read 620,307 times
You are better off closer to Dulles airport in Virginia than BWI. Technically, BWI is an international airport, but there are very few direct international flights. Canada, Caribbean, and one flight to London are all I am aware of. (And the British Airways flight to London only exists because it is subsidized by BWI.)

There is just as much culture out there, too. Probably more. DC is accessible from either place.

And taxes are lower, which is an important concern for working mostly from home.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 AM

40 posts, read 160,081 times
Thank you!

What area/areas of DC you may recommend for?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:11 PM

51 posts, read 91,947 times
You are better off in DC. Baltimore outside of little bubbles in the city is not much of a "worldly" place. It is more of a working class - middle class American place. If you want international culture and access to "squares" and "scrutinizing" monuments. Outside of Mount Vernon, the areas around MICA, and a few other trendy Baltimore spots you would stick out like a sore thumb and I doubt you'd mesh well with natives. I highly suggest DC for you.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGg View Post
Thank you!

What area/areas of DC you may recommend for?
Any- they are all pretty much the same except for most of Prince Georges County which is 90% black and Hispanic and doesn't seem like it would be your cup of tea.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbailey View Post
Any- they are all pretty much the same except for most of Prince Georges County which is 90% black and Hispanic and doesn't seem like it would be your cup of tea.
Never mind Jason's stats, he made them up.

From the census, which Jason doesn't believe in:

Whites, 28%
Blacks 65.6%
Amereican Indian and Alaska Natives .5%
Asian 4%
Hawaiian and Pac Islander .1%
2 or more races 1.8%
Hispanic or Latino 13.5%
White persons not hispanic 17%

Also, there are lots of different types of areas in and around DC. Check out the subforum for more info.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbailey View Post
Outside of Mount Vernon, the areas around MICA, and a few other trendy Baltimore spots you would stick out like a sore thumb and I doubt you'd mesh well with natives. I highly suggest DC for you.
Also, Jason is biased because he doesn't want any more transplants in Baltimore. Read his other posts - he hates transplants.

Most people in Baltimore would be pleased to have you as neighbors I'm sure.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Also, Jason is biased because he doesn't want any more transplants in Baltimore. Read his other posts - he hates transplants.

Most people in Baltimore would be pleased to have you as neighbors I'm sure.
Lol. I love how Hands has to stalk and comment on every post I make. If what I said didn't matter, he wouldn't be paying me any mind. I love pissing you off by speaking the truth.

I do hate transplants and Hands is wrong- not only do I not want any more in Baltimore, but MARYLAND as a whole. Hell, I don't want any more illegal immigrants in the COUNTRY.

These are not secrets.

And don't believe the hype. Hands is a transplant, so of course he welcomes you. As does 50% of the state because that's about how much are transplants. But trust me, most native Marylanders not on this stupid ass board do NOT want you or any more transplants here.

Also, go by the formal statistics if you want, but go to PG and you will see you stick out like a sore thumb. There are not many "worldly" Europeans like yourself. It's mostly black and Mexican in the DC suburbs of the county- don't fool yourself.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Who keeps responding?

I feel the need to let people know that you are an insane nutjob who is very hateful, and that your distorted are not reprenstative of the greater population.

People come on here becuase they are trying to move, and some people try to help them. You just run your mouth, because you are one of those "proud to be an a--hole" types. We're all sick of it. You do it just to get in confrontations with people, and most people on here have more patience than I do.

Take your negative attitude and leave. I'm done responding to your nutjob garbage.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
not reprenstative of the greater population.
Probably not in your circle of residents. However, in my own encounters day-to-day, I am wholly reflective of the popular sentiment of native Marylanders.

Quote:
Take your negative attitude and leave. I'm done responding to your nutjob garbage.
I'm not leaving. And I am not sorry I get under your skin. I couldn't care less. I am here as a dose of reality for these people. Once you get here it will not be one big welcome mat as proposed by Hands and others! I guarantee it! Many of us are sick of transplants and all that comes with it- just face it that reality has two sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland