Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Marylanders welcoming to newcomers?
yes 7 36.84%
no 5 26.32%
somewhat 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:11 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times

Advertisements

Maryland's economy is strong and many new residents are coming. The Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) measures are bringing many army personnel and civilians to the state. This is generally heralded as good for the economy, though some worry about the state losing its heritage as a result.

Since there is an ongoing battle about whether Maryland is open to new residents, and absolutely no data by which to measure this, I thought I'd make it a poll.

Are you new here? Did you come from somewhere else? How have you been received?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 03:42 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I voted "somewhat" because there are parts of the state that are very welcoming and some more rural parts that require a transplant to be more committed to assimilation to be accepted.

In my life, I love my town, my culture, and don't want to see it changed. Yet my wife and about 1/2 of my friends were born outside of Allegany County and chose to relocate because they were interested in what our town had to offer. They get along just fine, not just with me, but in our community at large.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:21 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Are you new here? Did you come from somewhere else? How have you been received?
I voted "no" just to see you two go at it... funny stuff.

Anyway, I moved to MD two years ago... been well received...

I will say that I think my area is nothing but transplants... can't say I know anyone who has lived here their entire life... well, I'm sure I know someone, but it "seems to me" that most of the people I meet are from someplace else.

You want to see what people fear? I've not seen it more pronounced than in Haymarket, VA... you can't HELP but notice the difference in the locals and the new arrivals. Go to any market, CVS, etc... it is odd.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Depends on where you go. And how you act when you get there. Move to the more rural areas and start complaining about what it doesn't have and the only friends you'll have are the other "come heres" who moved without looking. Look at the threads on here about the Eastern Shore or Southern MD.

There is also a whiff of elitism/classism in parts of MD. Downtown Annapolis and parts of Montgomery County come to mind.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:22 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times
It depends on where you live. Many suburbs like Silver Spring in Montgomery County are filled to the brim with transplants from all over the world and the country. However, the residents of other suburbs like Columbia in Howard County can exude a repellent air of elitism and classism as someone else here mentioned. The residents of cities like Baltimore and some areas of PG County tend to not be welcoming to outsiders. The attitude towards outsiders in Baltimore and many parts of PG is "where the f*ck are you from?!" The fashion trends, slang, accents and popular local music (i.e. Baltimore Club Music, DC Area Go-Go music) are very distinctive in Baltimore and PG respectively. The average outsider in Baltimore or PG sticks out like a sore thumb in DC or Baltimore. The only outsiders that are welcomed in Baltimore are people who happen to fit into the vibe of the city.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Maryland's economy is strong and many new residents are coming. The Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) measures are bringing many army personnel and civilians to the state.
Is Maryland unique with a much larger number of BRAC coming in? Where are they mostly going?

Old 01-02-2011, 11:00 AM

51 posts, read 91,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Maryland unique with a much larger number of BRAC coming in? Where are they mostly going?
They are all moving to Harford County. The county is even building more schools, roads, and McMansions to accommodate them. Don't believe me- take a drive up Route 40 and Philadelphia Road yourself.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:06 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbailey View Post
They are all moving to Harford County. The county is even building more schools, roads, and McMansions to accommodate them. Don't believe me- take a drive up Route 40 and Philadelphia Road yourself.
Yup, it's pretty gross up there. I wish Harford was a bit more open to planning. Driving through Bel Air can be a nightmare.

I think we are getting more BRAC people than most states in the region, but I haven't researched that.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:39 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I got to disagree about PG County. We were welcomed by many when we moved there. It was way more welcoming then Montgomery county when we moved there.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:03 PM

51 posts, read 91,897 times
Quote:
Yup, it's pretty gross up there. I wish Harford was a bit more open to planning. Driving through Bel Air can be a nightmare.

I think we are getting more BRAC people than most states in the region, but I haven't researched that.
You're definitely right about this. In fact, APG is BRAC's flagship operation- Harford County is undoubtedly seeing the most change and influx of "BRAC"ers than any other county- anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland