U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 5,197 times

Advertisements

It's only the 11th day of the year and there's already been at least 24 murders in Maryland. I guess that's why this state has a higher murder rate than any other state. What's wrong with this state? Too many gang bangers? Too many drug addicts?

Another interesting fact is that Maryland has a higher average income than any other state. But, that's mainly because of the high paying jobs in D.C. and the surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 PM

359 posts, read 564,130 times
How many of those murders have been in Baltimore/P.G. county?

Another interesting fact to add to the argument is, for the third year in a row, MD public schools were named #1 in the nation.

The murder thing has me scratching my head too.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
How many of those murders have been in Baltimore/P.G. county?

Another interesting fact to add to the argument is, for the third year in a row, MD public schools were named #1 in the nation.

The murder thing has me scratching my head too.
Yes, most of those murders were in Baltimore/P.G. County. But how many of those MD public schools that are ranked so high outside of Montgomery, Howard, and Anne Arundel Counties? There's also very dangerous public school districts in the state including, P.G. County, Baltimore City, Wicomico County, and Somerset County.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:00 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,159,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuryMD410 View Post
There's also very dangerous public school districts in the state including, P.G. County, Baltimore City, Wicomico County, and Somerset County.
What do you mean by dangerous public school districts?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 AM

3,151 posts, read 4,416,804 times
Why the surprise? Maryland is a small state with a dense chunk of real estate taken up by some of the highest wage earners in the country. Another dense chunk is the residence of a persistantly violent, poor underclass. These groups live close to each other in many metro areas of the country. It is only the small size of the state (and thus small size of the rural population, which is normally neither wealthy nor violent) that ranks us so high in both catagories when compared to rest of the country.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
What do you mean by dangerous public school districts?
dangerous public schools is what i meant. the fact that maryland supposedly has the best public schools in the country considering the ****ty schools in baltimore, p.g. county, wicomico county, ect. its just a little hard to believe.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:37 PM

16,842 posts, read 16,628,873 times
You guys know that the rating from Education Week is only based on the type and difficulty of the exit exams schools have. MD's HSA tests are what gets the schools that rating.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:03 PM

36 posts, read 130,519 times
A high rating from Education Week is to meaningful accomplishment, as spending more money on education is to increased student achievement.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:15 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,295,799 times
Quote:
Yes, most of those murders were in Baltimore/P.G. County. But how many of those MD public schools that are ranked so high outside of Montgomery, Howard, and Anne Arundel Counties? There's also very dangerous public school districts in the state including, P.G. County, Baltimore City, Wicomico County, and Somerset County.
And how is Maryland any worse than Virginia????

Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,295,799 times
Quote:
dangerous public schools is what i meant. the fact that maryland supposedly has the best public schools in the country considering the ****ty schools in baltimore, p.g. county, wicomico county, ect. its just a little hard to believe.
I'd expect that BS talking from a Maryland Hater that more than likely a Virginia tax payer.....

I don't know what it is about Southern folx and their Hatred and Rage against the State of Maryland but I find it very disturbing.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland