U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,197 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

It's only the 11th day of the year and there's already been at least 24 murders in Maryland. I guess that's why this state has a higher murder rate than any other state. What's wrong with this state? Too many gang bangers? Too many drug addicts?

Another interesting fact is that Maryland has a higher average income than any other state. But, that's mainly because of the high paying jobs in D.C. and the surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Hagerstown
359 posts, read 564,130 times
Reputation: 100
How many of those murders have been in Baltimore/P.G. county?

Another interesting fact to add to the argument is, for the third year in a row, MD public schools were named #1 in the nation.

The murder thing has me scratching my head too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,197 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
How many of those murders have been in Baltimore/P.G. county?

Another interesting fact to add to the argument is, for the third year in a row, MD public schools were named #1 in the nation.

The murder thing has me scratching my head too.
Yes, most of those murders were in Baltimore/P.G. County. But how many of those MD public schools that are ranked so high outside of Montgomery, Howard, and Anne Arundel Counties? There's also very dangerous public school districts in the state including, P.G. County, Baltimore City, Wicomico County, and Somerset County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 08:00 AM
 
Location: North Baltimore ----> Seattle
6,476 posts, read 6,159,153 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuryMD410 View Post
There's also very dangerous public school districts in the state including, P.G. County, Baltimore City, Wicomico County, and Somerset County.
What do you mean by dangerous public school districts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
3,151 posts, read 4,416,804 times
Reputation: 1333
Why the surprise? Maryland is a small state with a dense chunk of real estate taken up by some of the highest wage earners in the country. Another dense chunk is the residence of a persistantly violent, poor underclass. These groups live close to each other in many metro areas of the country. It is only the small size of the state (and thus small size of the rural population, which is normally neither wealthy nor violent) that ranks us so high in both catagories when compared to rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 AM
 
3 posts, read 5,197 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
What do you mean by dangerous public school districts?
dangerous public schools is what i meant. the fact that maryland supposedly has the best public schools in the country considering the ****ty schools in baltimore, p.g. county, wicomico county, ect. its just a little hard to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
16,842 posts, read 16,628,873 times
Reputation: 16376
You guys know that the rating from Education Week is only based on the type and difficulty of the exit exams schools have. MD's HSA tests are what gets the schools that rating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Catonsville, MD
36 posts, read 130,519 times
Reputation: 28
A high rating from Education Week is to meaningful accomplishment, as spending more money on education is to increased student achievement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 06:15 AM
 
2,333 posts, read 2,295,799 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuryMD410 View Post
Yes, most of those murders were in Baltimore/P.G. County. But how many of those MD public schools that are ranked so high outside of Montgomery, Howard, and Anne Arundel Counties? There's also very dangerous public school districts in the state including, P.G. County, Baltimore City, Wicomico County, and Somerset County.
And how is Maryland any worse than Virginia????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 AM
 
2,333 posts, read 2,295,799 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuryMD410 View Post
dangerous public schools is what i meant. the fact that maryland supposedly has the best public schools in the country considering the ****ty schools in baltimore, p.g. county, wicomico county, ect. its just a little hard to believe.
I'd expect that BS talking from a Maryland Hater that more than likely a Virginia tax payer.....

I don't know what it is about Southern folx and their Hatred and Rage against the State of Maryland but I find it very disturbing.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top