U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 AM

770 posts, read 3,346,076 times

Advertisements

Maryland is a good choice, the problem is Greenbelt, Landover, Cheverly are bad areas because they are very close to DC. Open up a map, locate DC, steer clear of any cities within a 10 mile raduis from DC limits, same goes with Baltimore. How much can you afford for a mortgage or rent? That will effect the areas you can live in. Arnold, Severna Park, Columbia and Ellicott City are more expensive, full of Blue Ribbon Schools and safe. Are there a lot of rich people in those areas? Yes, but that is not all that is in that area. Second choices which may not have the best schools in the state, but are still good schools, and just like anywhere else you live there is going to be some crime would be Odenton, Crofton, Millersville, southern Pasadena. Maryland and its towns are just like any other state...you have your rich towns, you have your crime invested spots and you have your in between. People tend to forget Maryland borders two major cities that are less then 40 minutes from each other!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 07:25 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,413,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Maryland is a good choice, the problem is Greenbelt, Landover, Cheverly are bad areas because they are very close to DC. Open up a map, locate DC, steer clear of any cities within a 10 mile raduis from DC limits, same goes with Baltimore. How much can you afford for a mortgage or rent? That will effect the areas you can live in. Arnold, Severna Park, Columbia and Ellicott City are more expensive, full of Blue Ribbon Schools and safe. Are there a lot of rich people in those areas? Yes, but that is not all that is in that area. Second choices which may not have the best schools in the state, but are still good schools, and just like anywhere else you live there is going to be some crime would be Odenton, Crofton, Millersville, southern Pasadena. Maryland and its towns are just like any other state...you have your rich towns, you have your crime invested spots and you have your in between. People tend to forget Maryland borders two major cities that are less then 40 minutes from each other!
OMG Pls stay in New Jersey. Is Bethesda a bad place to live?

Anyway, OP why aren't you listening? Trying to pick a place to live on the internet is crazy. Rent someplace with a short term lease and then look around when you get here.

If you have $$ problems, a)it sucks to be you and b) talk to your employer and try to find out if they can give relocation assistance. It doesn't hurt to ask. In any case, get a short term lease and if you have kids make sure you do research on the test scores for the neighborhood schools.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 AM

6 posts, read 9,439 times
Im not in NJ but if it were an option Id be headed that way indefinetly. I do have some relocation assistance through our local VA office but due to bad credit Im struggling to find a home in MD. Im not really concerned about a school at this time because my daughter is only 1 month old.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 4,174 times
I am also in need of help as far as moving into a good area in HOward COunty. I have looked at houses in New COlony Village in Elkridge off of RTe 1. They have low prices is this a good area to move into-I also looked at the Ryan HOmes next to New COlony Village. I am concerned because there are some apts in the area and Im not sure if they are low income.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 PM

8 posts, read 11,699 times
It really comes down to how much you can afford and where you will be working. All traffic to DC is bad, esp around the DC beltway. The Balto beltway is very bad from Catonsville around the north side to Towson and Towson to White Marsh. Every bad neighborhood people will talk about on here has some very good pockets - for instance, I am from Dundalk, Balto County area. Everyone will tell you it is aweful, but there are some very good areas there that are safe, affordable, and elem schools that are much better than the elem school near my current home in Columbia. I would recommend renting to make sure you like the neighborhood - stalk the neighborhood in the evening/ at night, check out the local stores, you can usually get a feel if you are not comfortable. thats my two cents, good luck

Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 PM

8 posts, read 11,699 times
@Shailin, I live south of you near US 1 and Guilford Rd, in a townhouse community and I absolutely love the location. Most of the low income apartments are in the village centers in columbia. There are a few apartment complexes but there are still trailer parks off Rt 1, however with BRAC moving in Rt 1 is slated by the county to get a change in zoning which is why you are seeing revitalization such as the East columbia shopping center (where MOM's market is) and the numerous townhouse developemnts. with time, I think the trailer parks will be gone, the land is too valuable to use on trailer parks and commercial sites. But because some of these are still there is why the price of real estate is cheaper than Columbia/ Ellicott City area.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:22 PM

10 posts, read 50,499 times
Ellicott City would be my recommendation if you can afford it. We went with Catonsville (in Baltimore county) because it was more affordable. We like Catonsville but schools are only so-so and some parts of town are not that nice. If you look in Catonsville look outside the beltway and south of route 40.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland