U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,409 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Maryland here soon and I'm going to be working in Bethesda. I have two little boys and I'm married I need to find a family community that is not too expensive and preferrably not in the city. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:34 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,451,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpadgett View Post
I'm moving to Maryland here soon and I'm going to be working in Bethesda. I have two little boys and I'm married I need to find a family community that is not too expensive and preferrably not in the city. Please help!
Can you print what you mean by "expensive?" At any rate, I like Bethesda. It's a pretty area and has great restaurants, but is what I would consider expensive. Do you want to rent or buy a place?

I've moved a couple of times, so learn from my mistakes . I recommend you leave the hubby and kids back home for a month or so. Find a place with a month-to-month lease. You can try Craigslist or apartments.com. I am a super cheap-o, so if the kids aren't here, I would even suggest the YWCA or something. During the month or two that you're here alone, drive around the area. I mean just get the GPS and drive for miles. Keep notes on the areas, go into apartments and ask the prices and talk to locals. Go to the stores and supermarkets etc.

There are apartments and houses that you can't find online and you may find a neighborhood you like that's priced right AND close to your job. There are also tons of smaller areas that may not be "hyped" but could be great places to live for you. Especially if you find neighbors you get along with.

You can take a week after you're done looking to move everyone to the new home.

Find the public schools that are assigned to the area and research the school rankings online. If all looks good, have the children (if they're not too upset) and/or the husband approve the new place. You can move after that. I really don't recommend trying to pick a place based on suggestions on the internet.

You'll probably end up picking the most expensive place that you may not be crazy about. In these economic times, I think it's unwise to spend a lot of money on a new house or a twelve month lease without doing a look-see first.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 PM

4,770 posts, read 7,563,558 times
I was born in Bethesda and raised in Montgomery County, but by the time I reached adulthood, and was ready to buy my own home and raise a family, etc., the area had become unaffordable for me.

I suggest looking at Anne Arundel County for a place to live, and commuting into Bethesda from there.

I owned a home in Glen Burnie, Maryland, and one in Pasadena, Maryland. The housing prices were significantly more affordable than Montgomery County, and I commuted for work for two years to an area near Bethesda. It wasn't a fun commute (Washington Beltway) I have to admit, but I did it for a couple of years.

I haven't lived in Maryland for 15 years, so I'm not sure exactly what the situation is there now. But if it were me, that is where I would look. You can't get much more expensive than the Bethesda or Potomac areas of Maryland. Good luck! One thing the area does still seem to offer is jobs.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:13 PM

45 posts, read 117,920 times
You can't get much more expensive than the Bethesda or Potomac areas of Maryland.You are paying for the excellent school system there. You will be surrounded by people with money. As long as you have a hefty "expendable" income, you will be fine. You will have to wear the right clothes, drive the right car to make it there. Cultivate an attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or