Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 04:10 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Maryland seems to have changed its culture more than any other state. From one which was considered part of the Old South (slavery, racial segregation), Maryland has oriented itself toward the liberal Northeast. Who instigated this change?
Racial segregation is very much alive in MD. More so than any other place that I've lived. I live in NC now and one of the biggest differences from MD is the amount of racial mixing in neighborhoods. I've yet to see a neighborhood here in my part of NC that isn't racially diverse. In MD, it was the norm for blacks to live in their neighborhoods and whites to live in another. My children went to an elementary school that had more black teachers than students. And it was a public school in Anne Arundel County. And that school is still like that today along with many others in that county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 AM

196 posts, read 575,732 times
Typical Ricky post based on his myopic World-view.

Depends on where you live and diversity is much more than black and white. Montgomery and Howard County schools are tremendously diverse. However that diversity comprises black, white, asian, hispanic, and multi-racial students. In fact white students are the minority in terms of overall percentages.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:14 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingterp View Post
Typical Ricky post based on his myopic World-view.

Depends on where you live and diversity is much more than black and white. Montgomery and Howard County schools are tremendously diverse. However that diversity comprises black, white, asian, hispanic, and multi-racial students. In fact white students are the minority in terms of overall percentages.
I didn't say it was all of Maryland pal. There is no denying that there is a lot of racism in Maryland. And stop stalking me you freak.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
A state with racism AND "marriage equality"? How can that be?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
New Jersey is pretty segregated and its northeastern. Same with New York.

Southern states like VA and NC are much more racially intergrated.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:24 PM

386 posts, read 655,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
A state with racism AND "marriage equality"? How can that be?
Not everyone votes for such things. But I cant help but ask as a PROUD southerner to another, how is racism a good indicator...or hell good in any way shape or form? Also why does a new way of thinking determine your southern status?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 PM

8 posts, read 10,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Just got back from CT from a visit to the wifes relatives and I just dont see how we could be lumped into the northeast. From the deleware bridge and up its like a whole different country and they made sure I knew it.

Sure we may not be pure southern, but no state is these days. We are a border state and thus have both cultures, and with my wife as proof(first generation born in Maryland) northern culture is starting to become native to some parts it seems. But southern roots and culture are still strong as well. But the state as a whole I feel shares alot more in common with VA and NC with VA being nearly a twin (I think MD and VA should have just been the same state).

See we meet eye to eye on something. While I could see NC sometimes being in the mid atlantic region, it truly is MD and VA and a little of DE.
I agree with you. I think Southern Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina are the most similar in terms of infastructure, demographics, geography, accents, landscape, feel, etc. I consider them to be overall culturally different from the deep south.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM

386 posts, read 655,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuice View Post
I agree with you. I think Southern Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina are the most similar in terms of infastructure, demographics, geography, accents, landscape, feel, etc. I consider them to be overall culturally different from the deep south.
Agreed.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM

8 posts, read 10,057 times
[quote=andrew_s;27816229]Agreed.[/quote
And whats with all this Baltimore talk? Baltimore is nothing but Richmond, Norfolk, and Durham, NC(minus the harbor). Helluva alot different from Philly or NY. Not saying that Maryland is overly southern or anything just mid atlantic. I just think that area applies to MD, VA, NC, and DE.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,203 times
From my experiences, the fall line is a good indicator of where culture in Maryland shifts from Northern (above the fall line) to Southern (below the fall line). Note that part of, though not all, of Baltimore is included in the Southern cultural range.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland